What good does religion offer the world today?

FBM

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:07 pm
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:16 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
If the god created people with free will, then what possible problem would he have with our exercise of that attribute?
God gave Adam and Eve one warning. It represented their choice of whether or not they would recognize God's right to set standards for his creation.
I wrote:
How did you discover that?
Glennn wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean to convey with this comment, as it is not a valid response to my point. But as it is written, I will answer: I've read it. Haven't you?
You've read it? Then, where is your coherent argument?
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:20 pm
@FBM,
I don't normally have enough bandwidth. I couldn't watch these vids even if I wanted to.

Besides, your rhetorical ability is generally superior to any thing found on BoobTube.
Glennn

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 06:57 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
God gave Adam and Eve one warning. It represented their choice of whether or not they would recognize God's right to set standards for his creation.

I'm sorry, but that did not answer the question of why the god would create beings with free will, and then have a problem with their exercise of that free will.
Quote:
You've read it? Then, where is your coherent argument?

My argument has already been made. I made the point that, according to Genesis, the earth, complete with vegetation, came before the creation of the sun. I trust you see the problem there.
Joe Sixpack

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:06 pm
@Glennn,
Glenn wrote:
My argument has already been made. I made the point that, according to Genesis, the earth, complete with vegetation, came before the creation of the sun. I trust you see the problem there.
Even a beer swiller like me can tell the sun was there all along, but would not have been visible because of the nature of the atmosphere. Otherwise, where would the light have come from in Gen 1:3?

The Bible is not a scientific treatise. It was written so ordinary folks like me could understand it. You are probably just too smart.
Sorry.
FBM

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:21 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I don't normally have enough bandwidth. I couldn't watch these vids even if I wanted to.

Besides, your rhetorical ability is generally superior to any thing found on BoobTube.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/12096537_997831513600529_8335062373081863864_n.jpg

Wink
0 Replies

Glennn

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:25 pm
@Joe Sixpack,
Quote:
[Even a beer swiller like me can tell the sun was there all along, but would not have been visible because of the nature of the atmosphere. Otherwise, where would the light have come from in Gen 1:3?/quote]

No, the sun was not there all along. If the light referred to in Gen 1:3 was sufficient, then why was the sun created. But more to the point, how could the sun have been created after the presence of vegetation?

From what you have said, I gather that your point is that the god deliberately dumbed down his explanation of creation to accommodate mentally inferior beings.
neologist

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:40 pm
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . . .From what you have said, I gather that your point is that the god deliberately dumbed down his explanation of creation to accommodate mentally inferior beings.
Well, you don't understand.
Glennn

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 07:46 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Well, you don't understand.

I'm not the one who said it. Joe' said it. I paraphrased his statement.

Also, you did not answer the question of why the god would create beings with free will, and then have a problem with their exercise of that free will.

Also, I made the point that, according to Genesis, the earth, complete with vegetation, came before the creation of the sun. Then I asked you if you could see the problem there.
InfraBlue

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:09 pm
@Glennn,
Joe Sixpack is neologist's sockpuppet.

Deceptive much, neo?
InfraBlue

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:16 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

neologist wrote:
Jehovah's permission to Satan was not absolute.
I can give someone permission to drive my car without including permission to drive on the sidewalk.
InfraBlue wrote:
So, God gave permission to Satan saying, "he (and by extension humankind, by your interpretation) is in your hands, just don't kill him," and by the way, don't drive on the sidewalk.

Got it.
Mostly.
Satan's culpability is considerably greater and extends further back in history than the exchange of Job 2:4.

This has no bearing on the fact that God gave Satan carte blanche to do to Job/humankind what Satan wills, except for murder.
FBM

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Deceptive much, neo?

Really? How can you tell?
InfraBlue

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:27 pm
@FBM,
He's let on to it in other threads.
FBM

Thu 15 Oct, 2015 10:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
Huh. OK, thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

Joe Sixpack

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:38 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Deceptive much, neo?
Actually, neo is my sockpuppet. As I have said often. He won't deny it.
Just check my profile.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:44 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
. . . This has no bearing on the fact that God gave Satan carte blanche to do to Job/humankind what Satan wills, except for murder. . .
Do you believe it would make more sense for God to have destroyed Satan as soon as he rebelled?
neologist

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 12:58 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
. . . you did not answer the question of why the god would create beings with free will, and then have a problem with their exercise of that free will.
It relates to the issue of whether God has the right to set standards for his creation. The choice to eat of the tree represented their rejection of God's right.
Glennn wrote:
Also, I made the point that, according to Genesis, the earth, complete with vegetation, came before the creation of the sun. Then I asked you if you could see the problem there. . .
No problem. Apparently, you were an observer to the events in Genesis, since you are able to assure us that the light mentioned in Genesis 1:3 came from some other source than the sun. I take a less sophistic point of view.
Frank Apisa

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 02:24 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

But the god withheld from Adam and Eve the ability to know right from wrong...good from evil.

They DID NOT KNOW it was "right" or "good" to let this god set the standards for his creation...they DID NOT KNOW it was "wrong" or "evil" to disobey.

And the reason they DID NOT KNOW any of that...

...is because that god refused to give them that information.

The story is essential to your religion...

...and the story is farce.

At some point, you have got to face up to that, Neo.
izzythepush

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 02:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
Or the Demiurge withheld knowledge from the souls it had stolen from God. Sophia, in the guise of a serpent, exposed the lies for what they were and set mankind on the path to re-joining God (gnosis.)
Frank Apisa

Fri 16 Oct, 2015 03:14 am
@izzythepush,
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.