How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

neologist

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 09:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Aberration????
Do you think abomination a better word?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 03:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Nothing underscores by belief about religion and humans practicing religion more that the Grand Tour of Pope Francis.

This guy is a Marxist ideologue.

Like Christ. He also upset the powers that be and their attendant lickspittles.
FBM

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 05:07 am
@izzythepush,
Good on him, in that respect. These dimwits we have in high office right now need to get their knickers in a knot over something worth discussing for a change.
izzythepush

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 06:01 am
@FBM,
Christianity has been a crowd control religion for millennia, note the divine right of kings and a refusal to recognise the story of the camel and the eye of the needle. It's refreshing to see a Pope more concerned with what Christ said than propping up the status quo for the rich and powerful.
FBM

Tue 22 Sep, 2015 06:33 am
@izzythepush,
True that. It would be heartening to be able to say that this sea change is at least in part due to the elevated profile of the skeptical arguments over the past decade or so. I can't say for sure one way or the other, of course. but it would be nice.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 05:33 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Certainly, 6000 years of priestly excess should lead us to conclude that all religions are wrong.

But it would be equally wrong to lay the blame on Jehovah.

The world is currently under the control of his adversary. Were this not true, he could not have tempted Jesus with their dominion.

Agree with your words I've rendered bold

Couldn't disagree more with your words I've rendered in italics.

The idea of the Adversary is poetic but ultimately silly.
Finn dAbuzz

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 05:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you also find it "refreshing" that this Pope is very much against abortion and gay marriages?
neologist

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 06:32 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The first two chapters of Job recount part of their contention.
InfraBlue

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:04 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

If anything, the contention in those two chapters is between Job and the Adversary, with God burning up Job's flock and young men with fire.
neologist

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 10:17 pm
@InfraBlue,
Who is it that you say persecuted Job? My Bible apparently doesn't read the same as yours.
InfraBlue

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 11:35 pm
@neologist,
I am saying that the contention in those two chapters is between Job and the Adversary, with God burning up Job's flock and young men with fire.

Yeah, your Bible is problematic.
neologist

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 01:06 am
@InfraBlue,
Please show us where Jehovah was the originator of Job's woes.
Your reading comprehension is problematic.
izzythepush

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 01:37 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
The Catholic church is like some huge mega tanker that takes all day just to turn around. Any change in direction from evil to good is going to take time.
Leadfoot

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 08:26 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

If anything, the contention in those two chapters is between Job and the Adversary, with God burning up Job's flock and young men with fire.

There is some burning up of flocks, etc, but it wasn't God doing the burning.

But the main contention was between God and Satan. That was the big wager - Satan said the very best of men would turn away from God if things weren't going well. God said, "You're on". The rest is just watching what happened.
JorgeMongelos

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 09:21 am
@reasoning logic,
Is just a matter of making an introspection to realize and be aware of your nature as a human being, for instance: from the atom to the human beings, and everything in between; are endowed with the survival instinct. That makes us assess the danger of a situation and drives us away from it, right? it's a simple principle. As well our survival instinct doesn't just possess the ability to assess the danger of a situation instinctively, but it possess the ability to assess the convenience of a situation as well. right? that's another basic principle of how our survival instinct operates.
Now, when we're talking about human beings; the thing gets complicated. We don't just possess the abilities that the survival instinct provides us, but also; one of the intrinsic components of our nature as human beings is that we're essentially emotional beings, which exponentially amplifies sensations and perceptions, which gives us the ability to reason and think, which gives us at the same time the ability to analyze and assess how something is going to affect us and at the same time it gives us the ability to predict the outcome of our actions to prevent danger or to acquire something that will be convenient to our interests. you see where I'm going with this?
Now, that we established how well endowed we are with those awesome faculties. I'll invite you to think, What would you do if there wasn't a God to go to when you're in hardships, and you're struggling? What religious rites indicates for every good religious person is to pray, right? and, what do we do when we pray? I want you to dissect the moment when you pray, What do you do when you're going to pray? I'll tell you what I used to do. I used to take my mind out of the problem that I was having, I tried to focus to talk to God, and hoped to be listened. Sometimes "He" listened, sometimes "He" didn't, but in a mysterious way it got solved.
Now, I don't know what you do for a living, but I'm a Web & Software Developer, and When I'm writing a code and it fails to compile and run. I've to fix the code. And I will dissect the moment when I fix a code or properly speaking in Developer lingo "Debug;" I try to gather all the patience that I'm capable of, and start to analyze the code, step by step, until I find the error that keeps my program from running; and voila! Don't you do the same thing with your job? when you're installing a light switch? when you fix the lawnmower? when you separate your kids when they're punching each other? or when they're punching the neighbor's kids? When you're doing your taxes? I can keep going, but the thing is: you do the same thing when trying to solve a problem and I quote myself "I try to gather all the patience that I'm capable of, and start to analyze,... until I find the error" the same basic principle applies to those situations where we're not sure that we're going to solve them.
Religion is just a placebo that helps people to cope with things that we can't explain, because our emotions amplify our survival instinct so much that makes us forget our ability to analyze patterns, and solve problems. And that gives birth to Religion as a placebo. And we human beings tend to give up that amazing skill to an nonexistent higher power, and deliver the problem to this Nonexistent entity, and give to this entity our decision power to solve the problem that afflict us, just to hit the bricks. Instead of just patiently try to calm down and gather all the patience needed to try to understand the reason why we're having trouble to find a solution to our problems . There is no notion of "Good" or "Bad," what exists is The notion of "Being in control" or "Not being in control"When we feel that we have control over things, and situations; we define as "Good" and when we don't we define it as "Bad."
In short(so to speak) the answers are right there, you just have to be patient enough and have faith in your ability to reckon patterns by to analyze problems and you'll come up with solutions. and you know how that is called? that solving-problem process, pattern, algorithm or whatever you wanna call it? it's called Philosophy.
Ragman

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 09:31 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
The Catholic church is like some huge mega tanker that takes all day ...
and damages the environment as it pollutes the waters and coastline with its waste products.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:42 am
@neologist,
Seeing as how I didn't say "Jehovah was the originator of Job's woes" it is your reading comprehension that is problematic along with your Bible.

Certainly, you're exempt from Colossians 4:6, aren't you.
InfraBlue

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:47 am
@Leadfoot,
Job 1:16 reads: “...the fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants..."

Where in Job does it say that Satan said the very best of men would turn away from God if things weren't going well, and God said, "You're on"?
Leadfoot

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:46 am
@JorgeMongelos,
Quote:
And we human beings tend to give up that amazing skill to an nonexistent higher power, and deliver the problem to this Nonexistent entity, and give to this entity our decision power to solve the problem that afflict us, just to hit the bricks. Instead of just patiently try to calm down and gather all the patience needed to try to understand the reason why we're having trouble to find a solution to our problems .

That's all well and good for the kind of 'problems' that occupy much of our lives. I managed to solve all of those on my own just as you said.

But what am I to do if my happiness depends on knowing what science (and religion too for that matter) can't give me? What if I want to know the answer to life, universe and everything and '42' isn't good enough for me? Who ya gonna call?
neologist

Fri 25 Sep, 2015 11:59 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Job 1:16 reads: “...the fire of God fell from the heavens and burned up the sheep and the servants..."
And you believe the fire was from the true God because?
InfraBlue wrote:
Where in Job does it say that Satan said the very best of men would turn away from God if things weren't going well, and God said, "You're on"?
An accusation against all men:
Quote:
But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. (Job 2:4)
In vs 6, Jehovah Gives Satan the permission.