What good does religion offer the world today?

chai2

Sun 15 Mar, 2015 09:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
But you have no evidence.

You just make stuff up as you go along.
That's not being smarter than anyone. That's just saying you are, hoping some will be gullible enough to believe you.

That's why you you're best at getting people who are 16 years old and below to listen to you.

Sorry, do not pass go. Return to your seat and keep yourself buckled in.
FBM

Sun 15 Mar, 2015 09:46 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
More than 3000 empirical studies have examined relationships between religion and health, including more than 1200 in the 20th century,[1] and more than 2000 additional studies between 2000 and 2009.[2] ...Having a religious belief may have both positive and negatives impacts on health and morbidity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_health
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 15 Mar, 2015 09:52 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Because in my case we are talking about sexual abuse recovery, which the feminists dont want science to get into. Because about the first place that goes is the fact that a huge portion of those who are sexually abused never reach the high trama states that the feminists insist that all do. As you almost certainly know.

I can see now that you are quiet the bullshit artist. I use to think that you were abnormally blunt but fair. Good to know.
Kolyo

Sun 15 Mar, 2015 10:28 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

Quote:
Humans are both good and evil. Used correctly religion promotes the good in us.

I'm a non-believer and I don't need religion to be a good person.

I believe that in the absence of any "isms" (including religions) the majority of us are inclined towards goodness and generosity. However, many of us do seek out guidance from the various "isms" that are currently available, and these philosophical belief systems can compel people to behave quite abominably. Christianity at least has the social benefit of compelling people to be compassionate. Whether society will miss it when it fades away will depend on what replaces it. If what replaces it is worship of material self-interest and greed as "virtues", we will not be better off for having lost Christianity. Don't judge what Christianity compels people to do against what their natural instinct would otherwise tell them to do. Instead, judge Christianity by whether the ethical system it provides is better or worse than the ethical system that is likely to replace it on its departure.
hanumanchalisayantra

Sun 15 Mar, 2015 10:31 pm
As far as i am mature. every religion is same. its depend on people how they adapt this.
0 Replies

chai2

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 12:19 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Because in my case we are talking about sexual abuse recovery, which the feminists dont want science to get into. Because about the first place that goes is the fact that a huge portion of those who are sexually abused never reach the high trama states that the feminists insist that all do. As you almost certainly know.

Oh please.

How many times are you going to amend your story?

First you state as a fact "those who heal from trauma best almost always heal with a strong spiritual element, and religion supplies this."

Then you turn around and say it's purely based on your personal, ergo limited experience "Personal experience of living with traumatized people, working with traumatized people, and conversing with others who help traumatized people."

Next you change your tune to "spiritual life does not need to be supplied by religion" when you alread said "religion supplies this."

Then we go on to you telling us that "I know a lot more than almost everyone else."

Finally, you go grasping at straws, bringing whatever definition of feminism you personally have into it, and claiming all this time you've been talking about a particular type of trauma, again with no evidence religion has anything to do with recovery from it.

Talk about being a bullshit artist. You can't even keep on the same subject.

Since you allude that you are involved in religion, I think that sums up perfectly how little good religion has to offer the world today.

Oh, yeah, the religion of sexual bondage and S&M Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

Smileyrius

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 12:38 am
I think religion would have a lot more to offer the world if it practiced what it preached.

unless it preached hatred, cause that would be bad.
0 Replies

argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 05:49 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
I believe that in the absence of any "isms" (including religions) the majority of us are inclined towards goodness and generosity. However, many of us do seek out guidance from the various "isms" that are currently available, and these philosophical belief systems can compel people to behave quite abominably. Christianity at least has the social benefit of compelling people to be compassionate. Whether society will miss it when it fades away will depend on what replaces it. If what replaces it is worship of material self-interest and greed as "virtues", we will not be better off for having lost Christianity. Don't judge what Christianity compels people to do against what their natural instinct would otherwise tell them to do. Instead, judge Christianity by whether the ethical system it provides is better or worse than the ethical system that is likely to replace it on its departure.

Since you admit no one can know what will replace your ethical religious system save a non-religion state, even if it will be replaced by what, to make a comparison is impossible unless you experience an non-religious ethical base system.

Better yet, I don't think empathy and logic are bad basics to start with for a non-religious ethical system. I think they have to do with secular humanities.
The only way to make a comparison is to have a non-religious state and then a comparison can be made.

Your Bible is full of violence,where's the compassion you speak of?
How does any religion COMPEL others to be compassionate?
Where was that social benefit during all the wars?

Quote:
If what replaces it is worship of material self-interest and greed as "virtues", we will not be better off for having lost Christianity.

Really, why does the church always begs for money? What does god need with money? If Christianity is so benevolent why don't they pay taxes?

Are you saying that man's natural instinct is to do bad? Then you need to hold your god responsible for tha.t..after all isn't he in your eyes the creator of man?

FBM

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:02 am
If it takes the threat of eternal hellfire to make you behave compassionately, you're already at least a borderline psychopath in need of therapy or incarceration. Compassion comes naturally to me. No religion or threats required.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:20 am
Too often people go into a church, get down on their knees, light a candle and then walk out of the church and go back to their miserable rotten selves again.

It seems it actually reinforces a bad attitude, it does not do much to change a bad attitude.

Like changing clothes or a suit but the same bad person wears them and lives inside...

It claims to change people inside but it does not, people are changed for the worse not the better.

They become less compassionate, more judgmental and yes the fear of hell makes them regress into juveniles and it does not foster an attitude of genuine heart and spiritual maturity.

Instead of Ghandis we get little Hitlers...
FBM

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:33 am
@TheCobbler,
That was pretty much my experience, yes. Trained to do good deeds for my personal gain in the afterlife instead of out of genuine concern for others' welfare.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:38 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11073568_974965652543924_4476242049207038275_n.png?oh=765795b4b15d158027b454de74c8b74c&oe=5575DF4A&__gda__=1434765974_db279eb556b775387d874c8209242532
TheCobbler

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:51 am
Ted Cruz Frightens Little Girl In NH: ‘The world is on fire!’ – VIDEO
http://samuel-warde.com/2015/03/ted-cruz-frightens-little-girl/

This is the fire and brimstone the religio-fanatics flog themselves with every day then they go take it out on the next generation...

They deny food to the poor and promote wars and paint the future to be some sick, twisted armageddon-rapture...

They do not care to leave the world a little better than they found it, instead they preach doom and gloom's dogma for the shock value alone.

They are vampires who feed on life rather than being life givers...

Someone should have dumped a bucket of cold water on Ted...

There little girl, the fire is out... fear no more. Smile
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 07:34 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t31.0-8/11043234_818354514880452_1832218632979576080_o.jpg
rosborne979

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:10 am
@TheCobbler,
Who is that? Where is that? That's incredible.
Sturgis

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 09:57 am
@TheCobbler,
For some, religion offers comfort. Who am I to question whether this comfort is right or wrong? Similarly, who am I to decide whether it gives them their morality? If they aren't forcing these views and beliefs on me or others then why would I find a need to get bent out of shape? (I've noticed many nonbelievers have near meltdowns whenever a person claims a belief in God or gods)

What religion gave to me (aside from confusion), was and is a moral compass. The Judeo-Christian upbringing helped me to better comprehend the ideas of right and wrong. Yes, yes, these lessons might well have been taught without the aid of religion; just feel they helped me. This is in no way indicating or saying that it's required for all it is merely my experience and holding.

Has it given me a false sense of a greater being or group of beings? How can I possibly say, as I am still a living creature. When my time here ends, I will learn more- unless of course my soul or whatever it is called, goes into permafrost death.

These days I have no attachment to any one religion, no church or synagogue or temple, just a belief that there is some thing bigger and greater than just myself. It isn't my place or goal to push this upon any other, it works for me so let it be my comfort, my truth. All others can have their own.
chai2

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:58 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Who is that? Where is that? That's incredible.

That's Joel Osteen in his church in Houston.

I just looked, and it's the largest protestant church in the U.S.

Really scary, huh?
0 Replies

argome321

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:17 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
For some, religion offers comfort. Who am I to question whether this comfort is right or wrong? Similarly, who am I to decide whether it gives them their morality? If they aren't forcing these views and beliefs on me or others then why would I find a need to get bent out of shape? (I've noticed many nonbelievers have near meltdowns whenever a person claims a belief in God or gods)

But that's the rub Sturgis, many do insist on interfering with others lives. They preach and harass, pester and annoy, and condemn. In fact while I was typing JW was knocking on my door. I din't answer but they felt the need to stick their literature in my door. Oh yeah, I live in a gated area. They don't respect boundaries.

They think that their beliefs supersedes all laws. In New York you ride public transportation , and you see and hear them as they will stand in a crowded train car, wait for the doors to close and the train moving and hold the passenger hostage while preaching at the top of their lungs.

In The USA they claim The USA is a Christian Nation founded by Christians?
The last time I looked Americas was settle by various groups and many of the founding fathers were Deist.

The Treaty of Tripoli states that the USA is not a christian nation. ..signed By then President Addams in 1796.

Despite controversy it is the only document laying any type of claim to or against an affiliation to any religious position for the USA as any type of theocracy. Which it isn't in any shape or form.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:43 am
@TheCobbler,
There are those who despise religion because of the excesses of the clergy through the centuries, their lust for power, their bed sharing with kings, and their excessive accumulation of wealth. An understandable position from my point of view.

But, there also are those who despise the idea of a creator because it leads one to an implied responsibility to the standards of that creator. A shortsighted position from my point of view.

Whatever one believes, or, if there be a God, let one's belief not be motivated by hope for reward, desire for license, or fear of punishment.
maxdancona

Mon 16 Mar, 2015 12:53 pm
@TheCobbler,
Being a good person depends on how well you use grammar.