Does "were continent of" mean "were basically normal, but with some difficulty"?

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:58 am

Context:
Results. Of 13 subjects (9 female, median age 8 years), 3 voided small amounts at baseline, one voided 200 cc (voiding efficiency 32%), 4/13 reported normal bowels, and 2/13 were continent of stool. Postoperatively, all had transient lower extremity weakness; one developed permanent foot drop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 668 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 12:23 pm
Bowel incontinence is the unintentional loss of stool or gas. So continent means the opposite. (had no loss of stool or gas.)

oristarA

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 10:30 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Bowel incontinence is the unintentional loss of stool or gas. So continent means the opposite. (had no loss of stool or gas.)

So "normal bowels" and "continent of stool" are saying the same thing?
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 02:01 am
@oristarA,

Yep. More or less.

I suppose you could be "continent of stool" and still not have normal bowels, but maybe that's being a little picky.
oristarA

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:39 am
@McTag,
Thanks.
" lower extremity" sounds very formal. In a casual talking, how would we to express it?
McTag

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 10:44 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
Postoperatively, all had transient lower extremity weakness; one developed permanent foot drop.

Quote:
" lower extremity" sounds very formal. In a casual talking, how would we to express it?

Not being a medical expert, I imagine this refers to the feet and lower leg. Calves, ankles, feet, toes. Maybe a medic will be more specific.
It doesn't say what are the "weaknesses" referred to, but I suppose there are many possibilities.
FBM

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:16 am
@McTag,
You're right. From the knee and below.

A foot drop is when the toes fail to rise on the forward step. They leave a drag mark on the ground. It's a sign of brain injury, uless there's local damage in the extremity itself.
0 Replies