Does "everything shut off" mean "(the worm) shut himself off everything else (and concentrated...)"?

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 09:08 am

Does "everything shut off" mean "(the worm) shut himself off everything else (and concentrated himself on eating the food (decomposing matter)"?

Context:

By recording the activity of these neurons, Gordus and colleagues found that there were three persistent states among the three neurons: All were off, all were on, or only one, called AIB, was on. If all were off, then, when the odor signal arrived, they stayed off. If all were on, they often, but not always, shut off. And, in the third and most telling scenario, if AIB alone was active when the odor arrived, everything shut off. "This means that for AIB, context matters. If it's on alone, its activity will drop when odor is added, but if it's on with the rest of the network, it has difficulty dropping its activity with the others," Gordus says.

More:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150313110402.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 466 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 11:59 am
@oristarA,

Yes.
oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 12:19 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Yes.

Can one say "shut off" (by which he means let's go to eat something to refresh) when a discussion seems to have everyone tired?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 12:26 pm
I think it is talking about signals to neurons, causing the neurons to be shut off or be on, which causes a behavior in the worm.

oristarA

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 08:30 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

I think it is talking about signals to neurons, causing the neurons to be shut off or be on, which causes a behavior in the worm.

Neurons to be shut off to pleasant odors that mean food around? That is exactly what is unclear to me.
FBM

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 08:40 pm
@oristarA,
From the link:

Quote:
As the worms pick up the alluring fruity smell of isoamyl alcohol, the neurons in the network transition into a low activity state that allows them to approach the odor. But sometimes the neurons remain highly active, and the worm continues to wander around -- even though its sensory neuron has detected the odor.

I don't know the physiology involved, but shutting off somehow enables the worm to go directly to the food. Maybe once it's located the food, it needs to stop being distracted by other odors and just travel. Not sure.
0 Replies