Can "most" be "very rare"?

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:35 am
"Most Y-chromosome types are very rare"?
Does it mean "Most Y-chromosome types are stark different to each other"?

Context:

The study, which is funded by the Wellcome Trust and published in the journal European Journal of Human Genetics, examined the male-specific Y chromosome, which is passed from father to son, in more than 5,000 Asian men belonging to 127 populations.

Most Y-chromosome types are very rare, but the team discovered 11 types that were relatively common across the sample and studied their distributions and histories.

More:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/03/150309082930.htm

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
PUNKEY

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 06:51 am
rare: not common, not usually found
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 09:11 am
@oristarA,

I suppose so, but I see your problem. "Most" usually denotes a significant number.

Quote:
Most Y-chromosome types are very rare, but the team discovered 11 types that were relatively common

I'd accept it as stated.
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:36 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
Does it mean "Most Y-chromosome types are stark different to each other"?

No, I don't think so.

Quote:
Most Y-chromosome types are very rare, but the team discovered 11 types that were relatively common

Say, just for example, that there are 50 different "types" of Y chroms. Suppose that 11 of those types are relatively common. OK, now what?

Most (39 out of 50) types are rare.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 02:55 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
"Most" usually denotes a significant number.

I would say it may have that connotation, but not that denotation. Literally, most just means something like: "a majority or more."

It's strictly a comparative thing (part to whole). If, out of 3 people, two wear hats, then, with respect to that group it would be appropriate to say "most wear hats," even though its only 2.

But (to respond directly to the post title) "most" cannot also mean "very rare" when talking about the same thing in the same context. Even though it's only 2 in this case, it would be wrong to say, in the case of this group, that it is "rare to wear a hat."
McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:00 pm
@layman,

Oh for goodness sake.
0 Replies