Do you use a seatbelt harness when driving with your dog?

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2015 12:23 pm
I am curious. I never used one before until recently. We travel alot with my dog including short normal drives and then long trips. In airplanes as well as cars.

My daughter recently finished a driver's ed class and insisted we get a dog harness for the car. Who says you can't learn from kids....she was so frightened after hearing things that she was very adament we get a proper harness. I figure I need to show a good example (and I love my doggie so makes sense keeping him safe). Just wonder how common it is to use these safety items?

No such thing can be used on the plane though as pets need to stay in their carriers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,293 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm
@Linkat,
If my first two dogs weren't in their crates when travelling - they were either in harnesses or at the very least their leash handles (flat leash, never a flexi for his purpose) were run through fastened seatbelts.

It was recommended by all the trainers I've worked with, as well as the vet clinic. Also, I've had a couple of friends whose dogs jumped out open windows while they were driving.

Working in insurance, I've had to talk to people whose dogs were killed when they ran into traffic after their car was in an accident. Hard to rationalize not making sure my dogs were safe. Less than a minute of effort to protect them. I can do it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2015 12:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

No such thing can be used on the plane though as pets need to stay in their carriers.

all of the crates and soft carriers I've owned have had attachments for leashes inside. Haven't used them - but they were there (I could never figure that out).
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2015 12:39 pm
@ehBeth,
are the leashes supposed to connect to the seatbelt? I was told that (according to the drivers ed) carriers are not safe for pet transport.
0 Replies