Republican or Democrat?

Abbr

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 11:54 am
I'm a Republican since childhood but i rarely vote Republican. I curious so please tell me about you. Are you Republican or Democrat? Don't worry, I don't bite. I really could care less. They are all crooks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,361 • Replies: 91
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 12:48 pm
Politicians have

their own self-interest as the prime consideration and their political and business cronies' interest comes second with the

left over for the voting public with polls telling them how much they can get away with in order to gain office.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Oct, 2002 03:40 pm
Lightwizard- I read

your post, and my brain started searching around for a "valuable" to click. Old habits sure die hard! Laughing

Anyhow,

I absolutely agree with you. There is something (I haven't figured it out yet) basically wrong with the way we find and

elect our leaders. So we end up with politicians, but no statesmen!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2002 07:13 pm
Lawyers comprise most of our Congress and Senate. It's a paradox that lawyers should probably not be writing laws in the first place but in the second place the lawyers who get elected to office are nearly all second rate hacks. I just doubt that a great majority of them run for the privelege of being public servants and their contigency is comprised of those with agendas which are more likely hidden than forthright. If they go in with noble ideas of being public servants the system soon corrupts them. Craven posted the list of transgressions of our elected Congress elsewhere and that's just what is publicly known -- can you guess what remains hidden? On the other hand, we can't expect to elect people who are destined to be given sainthood by the Pope. If the turnout is as poor as they are predicting in the upcoming election, I think we need to rethink the infrastructure of the entire political system. The forefathers expected more drastic changes even to the Constitution! They feared a two party system and the rabble taking over. They began by appeasing what they referred to as the rabble as that was who was going to fight the war for independence. Has anything really changed? Not even from ancient Rome and our form of "democracy" is based on the Spartan model, not the Athenan model. The Spartans tried to survive by warring and conquering their neighbors and eventually were conquered themselves. It might be a good idea for all of us to examine the road we are headed down.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 02:48 pm
Does anarcho-syndicalist count? If not, then I guess I'm a Democrat.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 04:38 pm
This WOULD be the locale of the first blacksmithn sighting... (Howdy!)
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 04:49 pm
Hey, I just found out about this place today! Figures I'd be the last to know. Any identity thieves or other crazies I should know about?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 05:28 pm
Welcome, blacksmithn!

We're all being extremely careful about how Abuzzers are invited and that doesn't mean we can't have controversy in the political section. It would be nice to discuss it in a civilized manner instead of turning it into a barroom brawl! Respect for idealologies of others is essential even if the issues produce some strife.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 07:36 pm
Well, given the state of Abuzz, vis-a-vis some of the posters there, I can understand the caution. Still, I'll try and keep a civil tongue in my head.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 09:05 pm
Hey Lightwizard! You aren't trying to turn this place into a big teaparty are you? lol

Welcome aboard blacksmith!

And umm.. Just so that I'm not hijacking this thread.. I choose "Other". Parties suck. I look at each issue and pick and choose.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:28 am
I just like to see check and balances, advise and consent working but I more likely will vote for Democrats. I'm really resigned to politics as a necessary evil with few well meaning statesmen slipping through the "process." Donahue, BTW, returning to the audience talk show forum with Michael Moore ("Bowling for Columbine") is a welcome change in his MSNBC show -- he doesn't make a very good pundit but a great MC. Hope he keeps it up. I guess somone should start a thread on gun control. That should make the sparks fly -- especially with another shooting in the news.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Tue 29 Oct, 2002 10:42 am
I'm voting GREEN.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 10:23 pm
I changed my political affilliation from Repub to Independent a few years ago, because I felt that the Repub agenda was too mean spirited towards the folks unable to help themselves. When I first registered to vote, I became a Demo, because most of my peers were. My ideas about politics are 1) I don't want big government to support everything under the sky, 2) I don't want such a small government that our social needs are not met, such as adequate schools, health care, roads/transportation, defense, and international cooperation. I don't believe in the two party system where the politicians must raise huge funds to run for office, then reward huge donors with special rights and benefits that does nothing for the average citizen. c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 11:28 pm
If I had sinned far more greatly in past lives than apparently is the case, god might have made me an American with this dilemma.

But in fact, the US has become now so dominant in world affairs, that this matter touches me too. I consider the crowd who put your president into office (railroading McCain in the process) to be deceitful, duplicitous, with all the empathy and comprehension of seventh century French aristocracy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 08:43 am
Just found this thread just now. Out of old Abuzz habits, I'm gun-shy of even looking at political threads. But perhaps this site will be different. I have always voted Independent. My late father was a Reagan Republican. I never quite made it to being a true left-wing Democrat but I do vote the man, not the party. I tend to be a Conservative in foreign policy, a Liberal in domestic affairs. Split personality runs in the family.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 4 Nov, 2002 10:25 am
Merry

The folks presently in attendance here are a thoughtful bunch and I think future discussions will be both sophisticated and tempered. It is a welcome factor that Craven, Jes and whoever might act as moderator will bring the hammer down on instances of incivility.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 6 Nov, 2002 06:21 pm
What fishin said.

In the past I was mostly a Democrat but always voted the issues important to me. thus I have voted for many repbulicans and independants. Now I do not fit into either party but do not find any of the alternatives attractive at this time. I did not vote in the last two elections.

After 20 years in Virginia and now Texas I am just worn out. The Southern political state of mind and I don't have much in common politcally. I did not vote yesterday although I am registered because I have lost interest in politics and have not taken the time to learn about Texas politics. And I am the kind of person who knows what I am voting for. There are not many issues which directly effect me in play these days.

Not getting into the fray, which was something I always used to do, felt it was my duty as a citizen is new for me. In VA I was very active in state politics over the years, always on the losing side. But losing and winning are not so important to me. I am just plain tired of the hate and blame gang. I view this period of history as just one of those times when things list about and I am listless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Nov, 2002 11:05 am
BLatham, you're a New Democrat, ain't ya . . . don't lie, now . . . no way in hell you're a Tory . . . scuse me, a Progressive Conservative (don't exactly roll off the tongue, do it ?)

I vote for issues or candidates based on my knowledge of the issues . . . absent specific information, i vote for women if they've never held office, i vote dem in predominately repub areas, and vice-versa . . .

When it's not much of a choice, or seems a foregone conclusion, i don't vote . . . i didn't this week . . . Ohio would elect Nazis if they didn't have such a liberal air about them . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Nov, 2002 11:50 pm
I agree with Ralph Nader that the two major parties no longer represent the public trust. I keep looking for an enlightened movement to join, but so far nothing good with a chance to capture the public's fancy has come along.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 10 Nov, 2002 09:23 am
The forefathers certainly didn't like the idea of a two-party system and the shape of our government has proved out their fears.
0 Replies