Organization attempting to ban Moore's flick

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:06 am
Moore is not all gnash and snarl like the right wing pundits -- there's a lot of humor and satire to his work. Something the right wing knows nothing about. Again, Republican humor: an oxymoron.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:07 am
BTW, you are not a criminal if you violate the copyright laws. It is a civil case. I will try to reach Ray today but he hasn't been in the best of health so I'll call his chaffeur first (he never learned how to drive -- it's in his story "The Pedestrian.") Bradbury also said the Internet was a scam.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:27 am
I wanna see this film...I wanna.

Here's a couple of things Ebert has written...
Quote:
The film premiered Monday at the Cannes Film Festival to a series of near-riot scenes, as overbooked screenings were besieged by mobs trying to push their way in. The response at the early morning screening I attended was loudly enthusiastic. And at the official black-tie screening, it was greeted by a standing ovation; a friend who was there said it went on "for at least 25 minutes," which probably means closer to 15 (estimates of ovations at Cannes are like estimates of parade crowds in Chicago).

But the film doesn't go for satirical humor the way Moore's "Roger & Me" and "Bowling for Columbine" did. Moore's narration is still often sarcastic, but frequently he lets his footage speak for itself.

Quote:
Immediately after the awards, Tarantino told me backstage: "This prize was not for politics. It won because it was the best film."

And indeed in the daily tallies of critical opinion conducted by the trade papers at Cannes, "Fahrenheit 9/11" was at or near the top.

He really ought to have replied to Bradbury, that is, if true, a rudeness. See if you can find out his opinion, LW. I know that I would prefer that someone ask my permission if they were to use the title for my upcoming book on George Bush "His Mother Should Have Eaten Him While His Bones Were Still Soft".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:33 am
The source of this "news" is on blogs and other forums. The only thing I could find on the Internet is the Taipai Times! I had left a message yesterday with Ray's chaffeur who lives in the house but haven't heard back yet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:06 am
The dubious rightwing source of what is likely bogus:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38776
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:09 am
And if someone can translate Swedish, here is the source for the interview:

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1058&a=272062&previousRenderType=2

Although knowing Ray, I very much doubt the use of the words "asshole" and "jerk" which are beneath his vocabulary.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:29 am
Walter sent me a link to the San Francisco Chronicle bit from the AP interview (a more believable toned down Bradbury response):

BRADBURY INTERVIEW

Still, I would tell Ray to his face that he knows he has no legal case and it makes it appear he is seeking publicity. He may take it as well as when I told him his script for "Moby Dick" wasn't very good. I won't take credit for his never writing another movie script.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
JustanObserver wrote:
I heard that Moore shows the full uncut scene of Bush sitting in front of the classroom for something like 7 minutes, listening to children read AFTER he was told that America was under attack. Surreal.

That alone is why I'm going to try to get my father to see this flick with me. He's pissed at all the f*ckups of the administration for the past few months, but he STILL supports the guy. Its amazing to me.

Note - Dick Cheney had to make the shoot down order, and it was too late. This is obviously a reason in that failure but has never been directly link because of the politics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:05 am
Ah, journalists, journalists, journalist. They are a crazy lot. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. I'm not to say if I spoke with RB but let's just say that the proverbial grain of salt is in order here.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:08 am
Granted, I don't like Moore, but I don't like Bush either. I have no doubts that shocking and terrible things have gone on the government for a long time, decades even. Do you all think that people really need a movie like this to open their eyes?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 10:35 am
Yes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:17 pm
Double that 'yes'.

Thanks for the skinny, LW.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:37 pm
He says he's going to swing by in the next few weeks. I guess I'll have to get out my first edition of "Fahrenheit 451" and "The Martian Chronicles" which he hasn't signed. Have to get something out of the old curmudgeon.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:23 am
Triple that yes.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:11 am
McGentrix wrote:
So, propaganda is good when it fits into your personal scheme, but otherwise it's evil and despised?

I'd say it was 'propaganda' if there was an attempt to disguise the leanings of the film-maker. In the case of Moore he's already written "Dude, where's my country" blasting the Bush/Cheney Administration and then announced he was going to make a film critical of them. There's no attempt at concealment.

And of course the more you folks are told to ignore it, the more likely you are to see it. That's so American. No-one thought about binging on cheap booze and breaking the law till the Congress told you that YOU COULDN'T!! Then everyone went out and got sh!t-faced for 13 years! Perverse! Every action the anti-Moores take will only put more bums on movie-seats and guarantee video sales.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:01 am
I haven't ever seen anything moore has made or have even listened or watched on any interviews if he has ever had any; so obviously I couldn't give an opinion.

But after reading everything you guys have to say about him it makes me want to check him out.

It's nothing personal about Moore, likewise I have never listened to Limbaugh or ever read a"drudge" report or even heard of Al Franken until all the talk about his book came out and he started appearing on news talk shows.

However, that bit about Bush reading to the children for seven minutes is not exactly an earth shattering news breaking story. The 9/11 commission had a step by step report of events of actions that the administration took during the 9/11 tragedy and showed Bush sitting there reading while all the people who are supposed to be protecting us during these times are running around like chickens with their heads cut off up in the air not knowing what to do. They were more worried about how they looked and what they were going to say to the public than trying to do actually take steps to try and manage the crises as soon as possible.

I found that to be the most disgraceful thing about the 9/11 commission report and how anyone can think that the Bush administration is so capable of keeping us safe and that is a reason in and of itself to vote for him, just blows me away.

If the movie puts things like that in a contextual way for the ordinary "Joe public" to understand maybe the movie will be a godsend.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:28 am
I like Moore a lot. His TV Nation had some wonderful bits.

At the entrance of a long country driveway that led to a white supremicist encampment in Idaho or Oregon, Moore pulled up with a flatbed filled with very lovely black ladies and they cranked up the volume on a big sound system and began singing "all you need is love". The barbarians began congregating, torn between ideology and sexual aesthetics.

In another episode, they located the residence of the fellow who'd invented the car alarm, then circled his block at 3 AM with cars so equipped, and set them all off at once.

Moore's targets are mythologies, deceitfulness, greed, and lousy citizenship.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:37 am
Yeah, I have Moore's "The Awful Truth" on DVD. The funny thing is that, I can understand that people don't like Moore for his political views, but they don't realize that Moore has done a lot of good things. He's even saved lives.

I'll never forget an episode of "The Awful Truth" where some guy's HMO was denying a pancreas operation because of some BS conflict in his plan (that he had been paying into for years). Moore harassed the HMO main office and even held a funeral for the guy right in front, it was great. The eulogy had me rolling:

Moore: "Lord, we stand here to bid farewell to our good friend. I
remember what he used to always tell me... [turning to the guy]
what was that thing you used to always tell me?"

Guy: "I need a new pancreas"

Moore: "Right...[returning to eulogy]... Oh Lord... he used to always say 'I
need a new pancreas'..."

After that scene, the HMO company decided to change the policy to allow for all pancreas operations. You gotta respect that. And yeah, he does have an agenda. But even if HALF of the stuff he's said is true, its STILL very disturbing.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:03 am
I can't imagine where the online blogs and forums suddenly came up with explitives like "ass**hole" and "jerk" in regards to Bradbury's complaint when in fact they do not exist in anything Bradbury has said.

My attorney says Bradbury has no case.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:16 am
LW

It's the 'echo chamber' aspect of this new world of blogs and media. One posts a datum, often false, and the others spread it about. It's become a key element of media manipulation.
0 Replies