Does he give five cents a bottle?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:53 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:35 pm
The theatrical release will likely blow all past documentaries out of the water no matter how many screens -- it's the cable and DVD release that cannot be reckoned with. BTW, why has this movie got them shaking in their boots? Do they actually believe because they are telling everyone it's false that everyone will believe them anymore than Moore doesn't expect everyone to believe him?
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:02 pm
Thank you fans, how bout some candy for your master?
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
This movie is going to be pretty big. After I saw the trailer (http://www.fahrenheit911.com/trailer/)I knew I had to check it out.

Anyway, regarding propaganda? It sucks.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 03:40 pm
I can't wait to see it!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
propaganda - ha ha - another vast right wing conspiracy....
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:03 am
thehamster wrote:

Gosh I just love you guys from the South Laughing

And where are you from? Wink
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:08 am
Good morning, Anoxia.

Be careful with that coffee.... it looks hot!
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:16 am
Top o' the mornin' to ya, gustavratzenhofer!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 05:21 am
It seems Ray Bradbury is pissed at Moore as well. Meh, won't stop me from seeing the flick and passing judgement for myself:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20040607/va_mi/inside_move__bradbury_burned_by_1
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 07:54 am
I know someone who is involved in a controversy similar to Bradbury's complaint. I think he is going to have to be satisfied with the knowledge that he contributed a concept to the culture and live with the fact that it has moved beyond him. For a science fiction writer (which is generally considered by critics to be the bottom of the literary barrel) that is quite an accomplishment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:52 am
Moore may have taken a clue from Mel Gibson -- the controversy is adding to ticket sales and the more the opposing side gnashes and snarls, the more people will want to go see the film (even those who disagree).
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:50 am
I heard that Moore shows the full uncut scene of Bush sitting in front of the classroom for something like 7 minutes, listening to children read AFTER he was told that America was under attack. Surreal.

That alone is why I'm going to try to get my father to see this flick with me. He's pissed at all the f*ckups of the administration for the past few months, but he STILL supports the guy. Its amazing to me.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 02:08 pm
cavfancier wrote:
It seems Ray Bradbury is pissed at Moore as well. Meh, won't stop me from seeing the flick and passing judgement for myself:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20040607/va_mi/inside_move__bradbury_burned_by_1

If Moore really copied the title without talking to Bradbury, and without any form of attribution, that's just rude. It is also completely unnecessary. I'll pay attention to the credits in the movie for a change, and if there is no credit paid to Bradbury for the title, I'll share his outrage.

But first, I'll watch the movie and see for myself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
I could call Bradbury and see if he's really pissed. Is this something like Al Franken using "fair and balanced?" The title does not violate any copywright laws.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 02:12 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I could call Bradbury and see if he's really pissed. Is this something like Al Franken using "fair and balanced?" The title does not violate any copywright laws.

It's not about laws, it's about courtesy. As Bradbury says himself, he isn't going to sue, he just thinks what Moore did was rude. He isn't accusing Moore of being a criminal, he's accusing him of being "a jerk". (His choice of words). Being a jerk is legal, but that's beside the point.

I disagree it's the same thing as Fraken using "fair and balanced", in at least two respects. First, "Fair and balanced" is a descriptive phrase people have been using before Fox News even existed. The template "Fahrenheit X (The temperature at which Y burns)" is an invention of Bradbury's which didn't exist before in the context of films. Using this template doesn't merit paying royalities, but it does merit paying credit.

Second, Franken arguably intended to be rude, or at least unfriendly, to Fox News when he chose the title. By contrast, Moore copied the title in an affirmative way. That's more like him calling his documentary "For a handful of dollars" without giving Sergio Leone (director of "for a fistful of dollars") any credit.

It's not a legal problem, but it is a problem of manners.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:07 am
I bet Michael Moore's loving this. It just goes without saying that a film always does better at the box office when it has publicity, good or bad.

And those people call them selves Americans, Haven't they read the 1st amendment?

Personally, I think Moore is a little out there, but I admire his bluntness. He's no worse than Limbaugh who spills his drivel over the airwaves every day. Now Moore is getting flack for a film? Those people are hippocrates because they probably all listen to Limbaugh.

I don't want to see the film, but I may just go buy a few tickets to support it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:02 am
thehamster wrote:
Anoxia wrote:
I hate Moore, but I wouldn't ban his latest movie/comedy/"documentary wannabe"... I think his movie is a huge display of his idiocy, and I think more people should see that, HA HA.

Quote:
Anoxia
Enthusiast in Training

Gosh I just love you guys from the South Laughing

They're pretty easy to pick.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:04 am
Fahrenheit 45l is a term used long before Bradbury wrote the book. Since he's been a personal friend for more than 40 years, I could find out if this is just more right wing tabloid nonsense.
0 Replies