Organization attempting to ban Moore's flick

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:42 am
Now THIS is funny... I'm sure these are the same people who constantly harp on the importance of freedom in this country (just not the kind of freedom that includes criticism against their view Laughing )

I wonder if any of them sees the irony of it all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3817993.stm

US groups want Moore film banned

BBC News
Michael Moore's documentary film opens across the US next week
US conservative groups have launched a campaign to have Michael Moore's "misleading and grotesque" film Fahrenheit 9/11 banned from cinemas.
The film alleges connections between President George Bush and top Saudi families, including the Bin Ladens.

Move America Forward has begun a letter-writing campaign, while Citizens United is making TV and internet adverts which criticise Moore.

The documentary film will be shown around the US from 25 June.

'Support'

Move America Forward members were behind a letter-writing campaign that led US channel CBS to drop TV movie The Reagans last November, claiming the film distorted history.

The group has received several thousand e-mails of support for its Fahrenheit 9/11 campaign, said executive director Siobhan Guiney, a former Republican Party lobbyist.

"Since we are the customers of the American movie theatres it is important for us to speak up loudly and tell the industry executives that we don't want this misleading and grotesque movie being shown at our local cinema," the group said on its website, listing contact details for various US cinemas.

It seems to be left to us to make sure that the media is educated, as well as the American people are educated, as to just what they're up to

David Bossie, Citizens United
Ms Guiney said: "(Moore) is critical of what's happening right now, and there's no problem with being critical - but his movie is not a documentary, it's a piece of propaganda."

Citizens United is headed by former Republican congressional aide David Bossie, who is also targeting George Soros, a billionaire who donated nearly $13m (£7m) to groups seeking to defeat President Bush.

Mr Bossie said: "Look, this guy (Moore) is simply producing and advertising this movie at this time to try to affect the election."

"It seems to be left to us to make sure that the media is educated, as well as the American people are educated, as to just what they're up to."

Move America Forward members urged CBS to ban The Reagans
Despite the campaign by the two independent groups, US cinema chain Regal Entertainment Group said it intended to go ahead and screen the film as planned.

And US liberal advocacy group MoveOn.org has asked its supporters to write to cinemas on Move America Forward's list, urging them not to give in to pressure to block the film.

Fahrenheit 9/11's US distributor Lions Gate Films believes the plan to have the film banned will fail.

"My guess is that their efforts will backfire and only rally support for the film, which will be terrific as far as I'm concerned," said president Tom Ortenberg.

"We need less censorship in this country, not more."

Fahrenheit 9/11 won the Palme d'Or at this year's Cannes Film Festival, and will be released in the UK on 9 July.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,658 • Replies: 87
No top replies

Anoxia

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:00 am
I hate Moore, but I wouldn't ban his latest movie/comedy/"documentary wannabe"... I think his movie is a huge display of his idiocy, and I think more people should see that, HA HA.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
Hehe those guys are hilarious.
Censoring what "educated" people may watch or may not is by far the dumbest idea I've ever heard.

But wait this action kinda looks like a covert operation by American liberals:
Form a group of so-called Republicans, get out there with an allegation that sounds dumb as hell and have more free publicity produced by all US networks for Moore's latest flick.

Respect liberals, hands down.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:03 am
Anoxia wrote:
I hate Moore, but I wouldn't ban his latest movie/comedy/"documentary wannabe"... I think his movie is a huge display of his idiocy, and I think more people should see that, HA HA.

Quote:
Anoxia
Enthusiast in Training

Gosh I just love you guys from the South Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:10 am
The ultimate poll on the value of Moore's film will occur at the box office. If it get's bad word of mouth, people will not go to see it and it will simply fade away. Me thinks these people are a little uneasy.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:11 am
That is just what this film needs. More publicity.

It is just another right wing attack upon the constitution. They are all for free speech as long as they can censor it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:15 am
I agree with you Acquiunk. I personally have no desire to see Moore's latest piece of wild propaganda than any of his other junk. But that is me. Much like the noise made with Gibson's recent movie, the public will determine the value of the film at the box office. I'm content with that. The more some people yell, the more who will go to the film to see what the yelling is all about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:25 am
Quote:
They are all for free speech as long as they can censor it.

au1929- If I have to write this one more time, I am going to paste it into a WORD document, so I can access it more easily:

Quote:
Bill of Rights
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

In other words, Congress cannot prohibit free speech. Petitions, boycotts and other acts by citizens are perfectly acceptable means of protesting something that a person finds unacceptable.

If this movie is pulled because of pressure, that is the choice of the FILM DISTRIBUTORS. The government is not holding a gun to its head!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:37 am
So far theater owners are making most of the decisions as an anticipated 1,000 theaters to show the film has dwindled 500ish.

The producer, Moore's wife, is trying to get the rating changed from R to PG-13.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:38 am
Pheonix

You of course are correct. I wrongly and I guess without thinking assumed they were trying to pressure the government into banning it.
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:45 am
What law does his film infringe upon from a legal standpoint this is absurd. It is simply censorship in the interest of preserving ones own interests.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:54 am
Locke15 wrote:
What law does his film infringe upon from a legal standpoint

Absolutely none, thats what makes this so comical.

More free publicity, thats all Laughing
0 Replies

Locke15

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:01 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Locke15 wrote:
What law does his film infringe upon from a legal standpoint

Absolutely none, thats what makes this so comical.

More free publicity, thats all Laughing

I love the way people use, and abuse both existent + nonexistent laws to their benefit it only illuminates their ignorance.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:02 am
The good part is that the activists won't succeed. Unlike TV channels, cinemas make most of their money at the box office, not from advertisements. Therefore they have much more to lose from pissing of their customers than from scaring away their advertisers. That's why "Move America Forward" got the Reagan film off CBS, and why it won't manage to keep Moore's movie out of many cinemas.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:06 am
Why do people keep calling this movie propaganda as if that's a bad thing?

prop·a·gan·da
n.
1. The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

2. Material disseminated by the advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause.

It definitely isn't propaganda in the first sense of the word. It's not systematic, although "Move America Forward"'s tactics might be.

Obviously, this movie falls into the second definition of the word, which is to say that Moore does have a specific agenda, or doctrine, and he is putting this out there to further it. But if it's the truth, then what's the problem? Yay, propaganda! It's fun!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
kickycan wrote:
Why do people keep calling this movie propaganda as if that's a bad thing?

[...]

Yay, propaganda! It's fun!

Good points!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:20 am
So, propaganda is good when it fits into your personal scheme, but otherwise it's evil and despised?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
No, it's never evil. There's no such thing.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:38 am
kicky, how can you say such thing?
Reagan told us the Soviets are evil. The Church tells us homosexuals are evil. Mr. Bush tells us that all Arabs without some billions of tons of oil are evil.

There is enough proof for the existence of evil in the world! Don't you deny that.

Mmmmh I love you Jesus...soooo good.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:40 am
The Hamster god is my redeemer!
0 Replies