Does ‘Rogue Pilot’ mean "the pilot is probably a scoundrel"?

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 06:29 am

Context:
Likely Theory for Missing Malaysia Flight: ‘Rogue Pilot’
NYT Now
By MICHAEL FORSYTHE and KEITH BRADSHER

The former chief pilot for Malaysia Airlines said he is convinced that human intervention was to blame for the disappearance of the plane, but he said he had no reason to believe the captain did it.

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
BillRM

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 06:51 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
"the pilot is probably a scoundrel"?

No as the word scoundrel would not be used for anyone who deliberate actions cause an airliner to go down.

‘Rogue Pilot’ is being used here for a pilot who betrayed his trust to safeguarding his plane and passengers and who deliberate actions cause the plane and passengers to be lost.

Scoundrel is used for far more minor misdeeds related to being dishonest in personal dealings.

0 Replies

maxdancona
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 07:16 am
@oristarA,
Rogue means acting outside of expected reasonable behavior. This is sometimes used in a positive way... one of our recent crazy politicians wrote a book about herself called "Going Rogue" where she bragged about the fact she didn't follow normal conventions.

In this context, it means that the pilot did something nefarious to bring to make the plane disappear.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 08:06 am
A "rogue" pilot could even be a passenger or co-pilot or other staff member who somehow got into the cockpit and took over the controls. "rogue" can mean an unexpected outsider, too.
layman

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 03:02 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
A "rogue" pilot could even be a passenger or co-pilot or other staff member who somehow got into the cockpit and took over the controls. "rogue" can mean an unexpected outsider, too.

Yeah, Punkey, I agree. That's what I was going to add, until I read your post. So it doesn't necessarily mean that "this pilot" in anything other than honorable.
0 Replies