Reliationship question

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 12:28 am
Hi gals and guys!
I would love to hear your opinion about the following situation. Here a background: young marriage (4 years), with two year old, both graduate students. Husband leaves to an interview for a professor position to another country and the interview goes, according to him, pretty well. The couple speak about it over the phone and both are very happy and excited. Then the husband comes back home and three things happen:
1. The wife opens the door, doesn't give husband a kiss, just runs back to her laptop, because she is in a middle of conversation with her graduate student colleague about marking scheme for assignment.
2. The husband waits for the wife for about an hour to talk about the interview and celebrate it. But he is very disappointed about the cold welcome. When the wife finishes the conversation, the husband says that "he is disappointed with her reaction and he expected a warm welcome and some kind of celebration of the success".
3. The wife is totally surprised with husband's expectation and pissed of at him that he would expect her to prepare anything in her busy schedule. She is taking care of the baby and studying in the same time and she has no time to spare on celebrations. She knew he is coming back but she planned her evening to include the discussion on marking because it was important do do it before next day.

Now, do you think that husband has too high expectations from his wife, or that he is right to expect some form of affection and celebration of his success. When answering, please specify whether you are a girl or guy.

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:34 am
@marriagequestion,
My wife is always crying out in moments of passion that I'm the man, so there is your answer as to this responder's gender.

In a successful marriage, one has to know the difference between really important stuff, important stuff and unimportant stuff. The really important stuff is worth taking a hard stand on. The important stuff you talk about but don't make a big deal about. The unimportant stuff you mention and then let it go.

For me, your issue falls right smack in the middle, ie the important stuff. Yes, I would have expected my wife to show a bit of excitement at my return home. But unless she knew exactly what time you were going to walk in the door, you cannot expect her to have been sitting on the couch twiddling her thumbs in anticipation of you getting home. She was in the middle of something and while she may have been happy to see you, her mind was distracted by the work she was doing.

I think there is nothing wrong with you talking to her about it and just letting her know that you were a bit disappointed that she was not more excited to see you home and about the way the interview went, but this is not worth getting into a major tiff. Sit down, talk it out, tell her why you were disappointed and then don't let it bother you any further.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:10 am
To add to this, all you have is an interview that you think went well.

That's nice, but the real celebration should be for if you get the job. Oh, and participate in the care of your child. Two-year-olds are exhausting.
0 Replies

AmandaCrew

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 02:06 am
@marriagequestion,
He is right.
0 Replies