Never vote Republican, no matter what.

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:53 pm
Why should we limit what one is able to make. Like I said, I have a problem with paying entertainers and athletes the exorbidant amount of money that we pay them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to try (and possibly succeed at it) to get it. If I were to tell you one day that the maximum amount of money that you will ever make in a years time is $30,000, would you be motivated to do the best at your job? Probably not. After all, what's in it for you.

Greed is good. Greed works. I just wish the ones obtaining the wealth were the ones that were actually doing something for it, like cops, teachers and firemen. It is a shame that a teacher teaches a child to read and to write and then that child goes out and starts "acting" and makes 50 times the teachers yearly salary in one week. I think it should be the other way around, but the old saying does ring true,

Those who can - do. Those who can't - teach!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:12 pm
Quote:
If I were to tell you one day that the maximum amount of money that you will ever make in a years time is $30,000, would you be motivated to do the best at your job?

Well, if I'm in the right job, I'm not really doing it for the cash, right? I make a lot less than that right now (I'm in my last semester of college) and I still work my ass off at my job, and do the best job possible. I get paid the same no matter what. You know why I do a good job? Pride. Respect. Duty.

Quote:
Greed is good. Greed works.

Wrong. Greed works for the individual. It does not work for the society.

We have all the wrong morals in America. People don't even realize that it didn't used to be this way, at all, before the advent of consumerism - the idea created at the turn of the 20th century that if poor people can't be happy, they can at least have things. After a while, people forget what happiness is, and just become what you said - greedy.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:15 pm
The golden age that never was -- though I certainly wouldn't deny that our compulsion and ability to acquire things is unprecedented.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:17 pm
Okay - so you are a student in your last year. If you like your job so much, why don't you quit school and continue to maintain that same job? Greed - you want more out of life then the job you are currently in. Whether it is money, or things, or just "a better life" greed is what is motivating you. Greed doesn't have to be monitary. Greed is the motivation to strive to become or have better than what you have now.

I admit it 100% I am greedy. I want to be better than my parents were. I want my child to be better off than I am. This is a good thing. This is healthy.

You mention "consumerism" that came about at the turn of the century. People in history have always wanted things. The kings and queens in Europe wanted things. The caveman (once he learned what things were) wanted more and more. This is not an American construct. This is a human construct and has been around since the dawn of man. People will always have things, people will always want things.

It has always been this way and WILL always be this way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:23 pm
My political phiolosophy is similar to Phoenix's, but agree totally with edgar. Both parties have failed the American People, but the GOP did a yeoman's job of hurting more of the world's people in three years than any previous president of the US.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:42 pm
Quote:
You mention "consumerism" that came about at the turn of the century. People in history have always wanted things. The kings and queens in Europe wanted things. The caveman (once he learned what things were) wanted more and more. This is not an American construct. This is a human construct and has been around since the dawn of man. People will always have things, people will always want things.

Even so (and it's a gross oversimplification, but fair enough at the root of it), it does not follow that it should always be so, nor that we should do nothing to mitigate the negative effects of unbridled greed. There has always been murder; it does not follow that we should do nothing about it. There has always been rape; it does not follow that we should do nothing about it. For all the havoc that our big brains have wreaked, they also enable us to examine our courses of action and alter them.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:23 pm
bookmark.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:49 pm
I don't consider myself a libertarian, a Green or much of anything anymore. Ideologies now seem meaningless, since those at the top of the ideologies act the same, manipulating their followers, keeping the choice goodies for themselves. Unregulated capitalism is not any better than Communism, since in it the money flows upward with virtually no trickle down, while wars of conquest in the name of ideology become the in thing to do. When the nation blindly rejected the notions that give the people a safety net and went all military on us, the Democrats generally stood by and tried not to look conspicuous. Clinton comes along and leads us to Republicanism (Don't believe it? Why then were Republicans so angry with him for stealing their programs and putting his stamp on them?) I believe in the sort of can do attitude the nation had at the end of WWII, when everybody worked together and social programs for the less fortunate were being created. I realize that by the time Johnson became president, it was all beginning to rot at the root, but that was due to the government's arrogance of power, not refining programs to ensure they do what they were created to do, not a fault of the spirit and intent of said programs. When working class people can have the option of the wife works or stays home, not both must keep jobs to survive, then I will say we are making progress. When the bloated military budget is brought under control and military adventurism halted, I will figure we might have statesmen in office.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:52 pm
I agree edgar; however, sometimes for brevity sake I use common terms. Then it seems to cause problems because the parts of the "label" someone whats to lay on me is the part I'm not. Therefore, don't use labels.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:56 pm
Right, Bill. Often I take the mantle of Liberal or Green, sometimes Democrat, but I'm none of those things. Sometimes I feel like a man without a country.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:09 pm
The way this administration keeps working at taking away our freedoms, we're all going to feel like a person without a country - except for the neocons who'll feel right at home.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 11:21 pm
Re: Never vote Republican, no matter what.
edgarblythe wrote:
And only vote Democrat some of the time.
This thread's for the unorthodox views of theose who feel that the established parties have failed us. I am at work and have to leave now. Ya'll behave til I git back, hear?

I voted for Harry Brown in 2000 as I could not bring myself to vote for either Bush or Gore. I didn't feel like I was throwing my vote away.

I will vote for George Bush in 2004. I'm not completely thrilled with Bush and less thrilled with many in his adminsitration, but it appears as if it is going to be way too close in November for me to throw my vote away on a Libertarian candidate, and risk having a Frenchman in the White House.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:03 am
patiodog wrote:
Quote:

Even so (and it's a gross oversimplification, but fair enough at the root of it), it does not follow that it should always be so, nor that we should do nothing to mitigate the negative effects of unbridled greed. There has always been murder; it does not follow that we should do nothing about it. There has always been rape; it does not follow that we should do nothing about it. For all the havoc that our big brains have wreaked, they also enable us to examine our courses of action and alter them.

True. It doesn't follow that it should be this way, but it also doesn't follow that it should not.

People having things and people wanting things is not a definition of greed.

People wanting more than others have is not a definition of greed.

The problem arises when it comes time to actually define greed, because in so doing one must define what an individual needs or deserves, and then define what degree of acquisition beyond these levels is excessive.

As long as the acquisition of wealth is through legal means there is a danger in attempting to define what is too much.

We can all shake our heads at the seeming inequity of sports and film stars receiving multi-millions while teachers are paid comparative pittances, but as saintfanbrian points out, this inequity exists because we not only willingly allow it, we encourage it.

As a society we place a very high premium on entertainment, but we have high expectations of our entertainers.

A journeyman shortstop in the Majors may make millions, but he is without question, a rare and exceptional athlete. The biggest "bum" on a playing field is a quantum leap above the average person in terms of athletic skills.

As a society we place a very high premium on education, but we have very low expectations of our teachers. The worst teacher in a school system is not a gifted educator. The best teacher might not even be.

If it were more difficult to become and remain a teacher, teachers would be able to command higher salaries. It is not, and so they are not.

When we attempt to cap the rewards a person may earn through some arbitrary decision on what is too much, we run the risk of capping creativity and initiative.

We often lose sight of the fact that while Bill Gates has earned what can easily seem to be a ridiculous amount of money, his efforts have generated multiples of his fortune in jobs throughout the country.

We also lose sight of the fact that people like Bill Gates contribute enormous amounts to charity.

Not everyone with enormous fortunes is a bloated hedonist with extravagant tastes and perverse desires.

For those bloated hedonists who do live among us, the chances are excellent that their greed will, in one way or another, be their downfall.

A totally free market is too risky, but so too are attempts to redistribute wealth.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
Finn writes:

Quote:
As a society we place a very high premium on entertainment, but we have high expectations of our entertainers.

I think it is fairly simple economics re the law of supply and demand: when we demand more in excellence from our school teachers, police officers, fire fighters than we demand from our sports heroes, we will see the wages of teachers, police officers,and fire fighters rise sharply while the wages of sports figures will descend from the rafters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:01 am
Next time your house is on fire or a a man has a loaded gun at your head, try calling a baseball player to save you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
There is no way a skilled working man, who knows his job thoroughly and doesn't shirk his whole life through, should be rewarded with little or no bonus for the year while the company boss pockets a million dollar plus bonus. If that isn't excessive greed I don't know what is.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:22 am
But Edgar - An individual can produces his own wealth. By spending wisely and not trying to "keep up with the Jones's" and individual is capable of saving money so that he can retire earlier than his neighbors and live "the good life"

Is it fair that a person should go with no "bonuses" while the company boss pockets a million dollar bonus? Nope, but if the laborer is that skilled, he can go work some where else. When you hire on at a company, you hire in at a specific salary. Anything extra is a bonus. The problem is that people have come to expect that bonus as part of her salary. It is expected, it ins't appreciated as a bonus or an "ata boy"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:22 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Much to challenge here. Let me begin immediately...
True. It doesn't follow that it should be this way, but it also doesn't follow that it should not.

People having things and people wanting things is not a definition of greed.

People wanting more than others have is not a definition of greed.

The problem arises when it comes time to actually define greed, because in so doing one must define what an individual needs or deserves, and then define what degree of acquisition beyond these levels is excessive.
Indeed. Under the formulation above it is tough to imagine 'greed' having any meaning at all. Which gets us pretty close to Gordon Gekkohood "Greed is good". There is the sensical Aristotelian differentiatin between needs and wants, but that's not a differentiation likely to gain much cheering in a society accustomed to unfettered comsumption and profits.

As long as the acquisition of wealth is through legal means there is a danger in attempting to define what is too much.
"Danger" perhaps only in relation to prior notions. Rich Romans had slaves hike up to the top of local mountains during summer to fetch snow which was used to cool their beverages. A Czar liked oranges, so had fifty square acres covered in glass (when glass was rather more rare and expensive) to facilitate a personal orchard. Europe has a much decreased problem with air pollutants and petroleum consumption through much smaller vehicles and a much higher percentage of diesel engines. The 'legal' criterion is both local and arbitrary, not necessarily rational.

We can all shake our heads at the seeming inequity of sports and film stars receiving multi-millions while teachers are paid comparative pittances, but as saintfanbrian points out, this inequity exists because we not only willingly allow it, we encourage it.

I'm not sure that's it. What is to be expected of The Spice Girls? One can say that somehow these sorts of folks/activities do gain big dollars, but quality isn't necessarily the fundamental aspect of such gain.

A journeyman shortstop in the Majors may make millions, but he is without question, a rare and exceptional athlete. The biggest "bum" on a playing field is a quantum leap above the average person in terms of athletic skills.

As a society we place a very high premium on education, but we have very low expectations of our teachers. The worst teacher in a school system is not a gifted educator. The best teacher might not even be.

If it were more difficult to become and remain a teacher, teachers would be able to command higher salaries. It is not, and so they are not.
This is a big discussion, but you're heading in the wrong direction. In the US and Canada, from the earliest periods, educators have never been paid well nor valued very highly. The reason women were so frequently hired to teach was simply because the communities could get away with paying them less than males. Educational institutions have always been regarded with a mix of sentitments, and commonly held to be a destructive influence which might/would make citizens effeminate, intellectual, anti-church, anti-tradition and impractical. The anti-intellectual traditions in America are perhaps most clearly evidenced in the history of education.

When we attempt to cap the rewards a person may earn through some arbitrary decision on what is too much, we run the risk of capping creativity and initiative.
Maybe. On the other hand, we could look at the trend over the last two decades in CEO income/performance and question this assumption.

We often lose sight of the fact that while Bill Gates has earned what can easily seem to be a ridiculous amount of money, his efforts have generated multiples of his fortune in jobs throughout the country.

We also lose sight of the fact that people like Bill Gates contribute enormous amounts to charity.
But how common is this? What percentage of the very wealthy contribute and how many out of charitable sensibilities rather than for income tax benefits? And of course it has only been in the last decade that Bill loosened up his notoriously tight purse.

Not everyone with enormous fortunes is a bloated hedonist with extravagant tastes and perverse desires.

For those bloated hedonists who do live among us, the chances are excellent that their greed will, in one way or another, be their downfall.
Interesting. You relate 'greed' to 'bloated hedonism'.

A totally free market is too risky, but so too are attempts to redistribute wealth.
I'd be happy in Norway.[/[/color]quote]
0 Replies

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
Excellent points, Blatham.
And the "poor" have always given more to charity than the rich in America. I even have updated figures around here somewhere.
If ball players salaries were half what they are, we'd still have great ballplayers, because much of the attraction is the celebrity status they earn.
Most teachers teach because they love kids.
They don't expect to get rich doing it. They do expect parents to be interested and involved in their children's education, but that is not often enough the case. Yet people expect a lot more from teachers than from many other professions, even with all the constraints they're under.

Finn:
"risk having a Frenchman in the White House. "
big sigh...
0 Replies

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:37 am
Blatham, You said: "Educational institutions have always been regarded with a mix of sentitments, and commonly held to be a destructive influence which might/would make citizens effeminate, intellectual, anti-church, anti-tradition and impractical. The anti-intellectual traditions in America are perhaps most clearly evidenced in the history of education."

Here's what Karl Rove says:
"As people do better, they start voting like Republicans...
...unless they have too much education and vote Democratic,
which proves there can be too much of a good thing." - Bush's long-time political guru and White House advisor
0 Replies