Greatest standup comedian of all time?

Swimpy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:27 pm
I don't know if he was considered a stand up comedien, but Groucho Marx was the funniest man to ever live. Richard Pryor second.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 06:57 pm
perhaps a little too corny for this forum ?
i enjoyed VICTOR BORGE'S antics - saw him live a couple of times -
he certaily made me laugh !

here he is with DEAN MARTIN doing PHONETIC SPELLING .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7L02tCNi0I
0 Replies

Philbock

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:23 pm
I can't believe that no one mentioned Bill Cosby, the man is a comic genius. I would say that he is in fact the best of all time.
nmverdes

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:30 pm
@patiodog,
My husband was telling me about this hilarious stand up comic he saw in Chico once named Tree. An internet search only turned up your comment here. Just curious....where did you see him perform?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 08:50 pm
@nmverdes,
Is he the comic who said that tofu in Japanese is spam?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:05 am
@nmverdes,
Never saw him in person (not even in Chico, where I've spent a bit of time) -- just caught him on a TV showcase at some point and he stuck in my memory.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 05:09 am
And since it's been resurrected...

Zach Galifianakis has been in movies a lot lately -- saw him here in town 3 or 4 years ago and I just about died laughing. Absurdity piled on top of absurdity. Definitely building on Steve Martin's sculpted weirdness and nonsequitur standup from the 70s.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:20 am
@Philbock,
I must agree that Bill Cosby is a masterful comedic storyteller.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 12:26 pm
But noone has made me laugh more than Geo.W.Bush. Hysterical.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 08:56 pm
Neil Hamburger is the greatest comedian ever! Anyone that relies jokes like the fouling, deserves some credit.

"Why did God create the Paris Hilton sex video tape?
Well, so that the mentally retarded would have something to masturbate to."

"Hey, what's the difference, what is the difference, between Courtney Love and the American flag?
Well, it would be wrong to urinate on the American flag."

"Why does Arby's put so much mayonnaise on their sandwiches?
It makes it easier to flush them down the toilet."

"Why did the Red Hot Chilli Peppers cross the road?
Well because they were running away from the rehab clinic."
0 Replies

Victor Eremita

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:07 pm
Greatest standup comedian of all time? Not sure about that; I do like George Carlin though
Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:15 pm
@Victor Eremita,
i second mr carlin.

0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2010 10:05 pm
With all seriousness, my three favorite comedians are Bill Hicks, George Carlin, and Stephen Wright. I also find myself enjoying a good Doug Stanhope rant as well from time to time.

I was in a job interview and I opened a book and started reading. Then I said to the guy, "Let me ask you a question. Suppose you are in a space bus traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights--what happens?" He said, "How should I know?!" I said, "Forget it, I don't want to work for you." - Steven Wright

"Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?" ~ Stephen Wright
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 08:37 am
Pryor/Carlin
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 10:45 am
I'm really not a snob when it comes to expletives, but I really have fond memories of my favorite comedian, Graucho Marx.
0 Replies

millerthedonald23

Reply Sun 15 Jul, 2012 11:54 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Daniel Tosh, Eddie Murphy, and of course Russell Peters
0 Replies

dchace029

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:14 am
@patiodog,
I saw Tree perform at a comedy club in Fresno once, back around '87 or '88 I think. He came out there looking so big and tough with that shaved head, dark sunglasses, and leather, and he really looked intimidating. Then he ripped off the glasses and totally flamed (as in homosexual) out! I have never laughed as hard at any comedian before or since. There is one video of him on YouTube, but the sound is way out of sync. Can't seem to find any others, but I'd dearly love to see him again!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 07:37 am
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

Nobody has mentioned the greatest unknown comedic genius of our time. Bill Hicks. Brilliant, hilarious, and with the balls to attack any institution he wanted to, viciously and fearlessly. Dennis Leary stole a lot from Hicks.

Also, Richard Pryor in the 70s was in a total league of his own.

I was just scrolling through because I'm astounded no one, including myself, mentioned Bill Hicks. Genius. Good catch, Kicky.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 07:40 am
Lewis black is terrific and Richard Jenni, R.I.P. was a terrific and underrated comedian
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 23 Apr, 2015 04:02 pm
@Craven de Kere,
Craven de Kere wrote:

Who do you consider to be the greatest stand up comic of all time?

Was it Lenny Bruce's namesake?

I have no idea who I'd choose.

Dean Martin, by far. I still have 8 VCR tapes of his celeb Roasts, and 17 VCR tapes of his weekly shows. Make me an offer
0 Replies