Greatest standup comedian of all time?

kayla

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 05:20 am
Tomlin and Goldberg's one-woman shows are incredible. I loved Bruce's Pope routine. Saw Robin Williams years ago and he was very good. He must have been tired. This is going to date me, but who cares. Ernie Kovacks, Steven Allen and Cid Caesar.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:25 am
"Freedom of speech?" I think it was more expletives in mixed company! LOL c.i.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:26 am
On E!, there will be a show about the life and work of Richard Pryor - tonight with subsequent showings through Feb.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2003 11:54 am
humor
I would never have thought of DeGeneres, but when her name was brought up I realized that her humor has always cracked me up more than that of most--it's so intelligently original. Most of the comedians mentioned do not seem funny in retrospect. Others seem to be funny only in retrospect, e.g., W.C. Fields, Groucho, and May West. But my favorite memories--memories that never fail to make me laugh (no matter how many times I think of them)--are of the wisdom of Yogi Berra: "When you come a fork in the road, take it."
0 Replies

dakini

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:17 am
My Dad. He kept us sane!!!!!!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:13 am
humor
Dakini, that's sweet. Appreciation (the most important form of love) is what it's all about.
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 11:40 am
I've seen several of the names mentioned here live, starting with Pryor in the prime of his standup career (circa 1975) all the way through Chris Rock while he was still with SNL. Most of them -- Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Sam Kinison, Steven Wright, Robin Williams, Jerry Seinfeld -- I caught early in their career before they got too popular (and a little stale). They were all great, but the best ones were the guys who were 1.) brutally truthful, 2.) willing to say things people just don't say and 3.) able to make you look at things from a radically different perspective. And nobody, but nobody, was better than Pryor. He made people laugh so hard they fell out of their chairs, clutching their sides in pain and gasping to get a decent breath. And not just one or two people -- there were literally dozens of people on the floor, unable to hold themselves up straight. One of the most remarkable things I've ever seen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 12:24 pm
Mort Sahl has been all but forgotten. I only mention him because he used to be popular.
There are some others I recall from an earlier time that were great, but in their old age are forgotten. I am out of time right now, but will mention these guys later on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 02:40 pm
edgar, Mort Sahl has been forgotten, until you brought up his name. LOL c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 03:27 pm
humor
Tim K. Yes, I remember now. Pryor once had me in fear that I had ruptured a stomach muscle, or worse, my spleen. The trouble is that without those who record magical moments, like some of the jokes of W.C. Fields (Do I love children? Of course, with a little garlic), May West (When I'm good I'm good, but when I'm bad I'm better), Yogi Berra (When you come to a fork in the road, take it), or the gestures of Groucho Marx, they are too soon forgotten. Thanks to you, Pryor's wonder came back to me for a while.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:57 pm
Some comedians I did not laugh with: Rosanne Barr, Pat Paulson, Joey Bishop, Dennis Miller, Jonathan Winters.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:01 pm
A very young Jackie Mason was hilarious.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:54 pm
All very funny people. I like the work of George Carlin, very inventive. No-one has mentioned Gabe Kaplin (from 'Welcome Back Kotter').

However, for my money one of the best is Billy Connolly, 'The Big Yin'. A few years back he did a BBC series 'World Tour of Scotland', playing from huge venues to tiny halls in the Shetlands. Always good, always funny, always in synch with his audience.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:31 pm
humor
Dennis Miller I can't watch. Too smug. Jackie Mason is offensive to some Jews, but he still breaks me up, including his characatures of gentiles.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:38 pm
Jackie Mason - Were you watching the night he offended Ed Sullivan?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 07:42 pm
humor
No, EB, but I know that it pretty much put an end to his career. He thought he was run over by a reindeer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:10 pm
I did not understand what I was witnessing at the time. - I have always loved comedians, as a breed. I know how carried away they become. I always thought they should be given more leeway than others when they act up like that, since they will do anything in the name of humor.

Another comedian who used to be funny, to me, is Don Rickles. Also I liked Eddy Murphy at first, but his first HBO special was such a turn-off that I find it hard to watch him since then.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:48 pm
humor
EB, I find Rickles about as funny as a grave stone. Dangerfield is funny, but only his face. His occasional good line is surrounded by the predictable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 08:52 pm
I don't think anybody has mentioned Bob Hope, although he had about 100 writers to compose his jokes. I used to laugh at his stuff, so it must have been pretty good. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:21 pm
humor
I know why noone mentioned Bob Hope; he is in my opinion one of the least talented people in show business. Boy am I being negative tonight--taking my frustrations with Bush, Sharon, Arafat, Bin Laden and Hussein out on comedians.
0 Replies