Greatest standup comedian of all time?

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:56 pm
JLN, Not even a few laughs? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 09:57 pm
What? Next you will be saying the French are wrong about Jerry Lewis.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:03 pm
Impressionists are sometimes really good. Rich Little, David Frye and Frank Gorshin all did things I have fond remembrances of.
Then there was Dick Shawn. Sometimes brilliant.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:04 pm
Ah, ahn, no way, jose. c.i.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:27 pm
This is not pertinent to the discussion exactly, but I have to tell it anyway. I am such a sucker for a good comedian that I lose myself in the performance. One evening my wife and I were visiting with friends and in-laws. The joking between some of these folks quickly centered on one woman who began to improvise one liners so quickly and cleverly that I became entranced by the performance. I could not have gotten a better show from Richard Pryor, Robin Williams and Dick Shawn in combo. I slipped into a chair at the table as though I were in a nightclub. This put me so close before her that the woman became uncomfortable and concluded that I was enamored of her. This not only broke up the performance, it gave me a time mending fences - all because I love comedians so much. Maybe it shows how desperate one can be to escape from the mundane through laughter.
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 10:36 pm
Hal Roach, the Irish comedian who has played Juries in Dublin since the beginning of time.

I was driving along and a policeman pulled me over and said, "Do you know your wife fell out of your car about three miles back." "Thank god, officer. I thought I'd gone deaf."

He was lying in bed looking for work. He thought manual labor was the new ambassador from Spain.

The Irish only drink to forget they're alchoholics.

About six years ago, I went on holiday to Brighton. I was wearing wingtip dress shoes and decided to have them resoled. I dropped them at a shoe repair and promptly forgot them until I was home from the holiday.
Last week, I has some business in Brighton and thought maybe by chance the shoe repairman would still have them. I went to him and explained what happened. He disapeared into the back room for an eternity. Finally he came out and said "They'll be ready Friday."
0 Replies

Bucksh0t

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 11:27 pm
Dennis Miller!
Very Happy Dennis Miller gets my vote. His ranting and sarcasm always lifts my spirits, lol. http://www.cyberstation.net/~munkachy/DMiller.gif
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 06:40 pm
humor
Dennis Miller is, to my mind, the biggest downer of all time: self-satisfied, obnoxious, mindless, insincere, demogogic, and unbearable.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:16 pm
Here's a list of Dennis Miller movies - or at least the ones he appeared in. Movies:
Joe Dirt (2001)
Murder at 1600 (1997)
Sam Kinison -- Why Did We Laugh? (1997)
Bordello of Blood (1996)
Tales From the Crypt Presents: Bordello of Blood (1996)
The Net (1995)
Never Talk to Strangers (1995)
Dennis Miller Live From Washington D.C. (1994)
Disclosure (1994)
Saturday Night Live - Presidential Bash (1992)
Dennis Miller - Black and White (1990)
Live From Washington It's Dennis Miller (1988)
The Last of the Knucklemen (1981)

Dennis Miller was Donohue's guest just now. He's for going to war with Iraq.

c.i.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 07:30 pm
Would be a lot of regional differences here. American standup comics are generally not very popular down under. Our tastes in humour are very different.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 09:40 pm
Wilso, Provide us with some samples of Down Under humor. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:01 pm
I'll see what I can find.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:09 pm
Rodney Rude
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:12 pm
Rodney Rude

Kevin "Bloody" Wilson
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 10:14 pm
Kevin Wilson sings songs such as "Mick, my mate the master farter", "Do you ---- on first dates" and who could forget the classic "I've got a tongue that's 10 inches long and I've learnt to breathe through my ears"
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:37 am
Comedy Down Under
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:50 am
I agree with JL: Miller's humor is drowned by his smug peresonality...saw him on Donahue, and realized how i dislike this guy; do we need him as a spokesman for the war? What nerve (or desperately attempting to revive his career)
Trying to pick a "best" comedian would be like trying to pick a best actor, or food, or vacation; Best is such a hollow term; but if a gun were pointed at my temple; being a child of the seventies i would go with Carlin because of his brand of social satire, his b*llsiness towards political issues; poetic wit.
saw him live and several times. In an isolated cabin in the woods i read "Brain Droppings" and laughed I think for 10 hours strait.
Pryor was great, Cosby, Williams too, a new guy I saw Lewis Black. There are many, but so many brands of humor
0 Replies

Galwegian19

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:16 pm
RICHARD PRYOR and BILLY CONNOLLY are the true gods of stand-up comedy. If you haven't seen Billy Connolly live or even heard of him, then you really are missing out on laughing till you think you're gona explode at the funniest comedian ever. My brother had to leave during one of his shows because he couldn't breathe, he thought he was gona die from laughing. He is completely original, every show is unique because his material is unscripted, he always goes off on some tangent and could come out with anything he doesn't give a sh*t, and then he'll come back to what he was talking about a half hour earlier. The only one that can be held in the same league is richard pryor, who is also [/I] dangerously funny.

The other greats are Jerry Seinfeld, Eddie Murphy, Ken Dodd, Chris Rock, Tommy Cooper, Des Bishop, Denis Leary, Ray Romano...and that's about it, how does anyone like Steven Wright?? this guy just depresses you till you want to shoot him, he is NOT funny
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:33 pm
humor
I think that Ellen DeGeneris's work is original, intelligent and VERY funny.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 08:39 pm
Joan Rivers, Redd Foxx, George Burns, Moms Mabley
0 Replies