Greatest standup comedian of all time?

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:06 pm
Oooh. When? I'll check...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:08 pm
April 12-16. And then Chris Rock brings his bad ass to HBO on the 16th as well. yuk yuk yuk.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:09 pm
eoe, when you find out... let me know.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:12 pm
Check above, gus.
And Chris Rock is on Saturday, the 17th, not the 16th.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 03:47 pm
Nobody has mentioned the greatest unknown comedic genius of our time. Bill Hicks. Brilliant, hilarious, and with the balls to attack any institution he wanted to, viciously and fearlessly. Dennis Leary stole a lot from Hicks.

Also, Richard Pryor in the 70s was in a total league of his own.
kirsten

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 04:08 pm
I loved Andy Kaufman.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 05:43 pm
Groucho has the all-time killer ad lib line (if it is not apocryphal). To a woman with 13 children:

Well, Lady, i like my cigar, too, but i take it out of my mouth from time to time.
0 Replies

sparky

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
I like Richard Pryor the best for pure humor. He makes having a heart attack funny. Whew.

From the political, religious, show you how stupid the world is genre, I like Carlin, Hicks, Leary and Henry Rollins (really). Smile
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 11:57 pm
Lee Evans or Jack Dee...especially Jack Dee, thinking about it...
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:50 pm
Impossible to name just one. For me there is Jackie Mason, Bob Newhart and Jonathan Winters.
As a group, nothing beats "The Goon Show".
0 Replies

GenericScreenName

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2004 07:33 pm
Best Stand-Up Comedian EVER
Shocked I cannot believe that out of all these posts no-one has mentioned a standup God. MITCH HEDBERG!
" I disagree with picket lines... but I don't know how to show it."
0 Replies

jasmine mirage

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:03 am
Old school - Joey Bishop
70's stand up - Richard Pryor
Current fav - Chris Rock
0 Replies

hosemonkey

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:33 pm
Funniest Comic
Those that say Robin Williams are right on. Those that say anyone else are obviously struggling with the concept.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
Jonathan Winters was of the same cut as Robin Williams. He did it first and was just as funny.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 04:49 pm
jespah wrote:
I dunno, I watch Robin Williams and I have the urge to give him a Ritalin and a Valium, hoping either or both will work.

What, no votes for Drew Carey, Roseanne, Denis Leary or Ellen DeGeneres? Or Jay Leno, Bob Hope or Andy Kaufman?

Actually, I'm gonna throw out Janeane Garofalo's name. Not that I think she's the funniest, but I think she does the greatest deadpan, like a female version of Stephen Wright, whose name I'm also throwing out here.

I don't think it's possible to name a "greatest" stand-up comedian of all time. I think that all we can do is pick our favorites, and my favorite (while recognizing the brilliance of Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Robin Williams, et al) is one of the ones you've named: Ellen DeGeneres. She's an incredibly brilliant technician, and her material is very original. She's both physical and cerebral, and she was blessed with the perfect instrument...the athletic body, the rubber face, the amazing eyes, the huge smile, etc. I'm also partial to Woody Allen, and I wish he still did stand-up. The one who makes me laugh out loud the most, however, is Jackie Mason when he's at the top of his game.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 05:09 pm
I saw Martin Mull way back when, with his living room couch, lamp and
schtick. Loved him. Also adored Steve Martin, especially on Saturday Night Live...Mull is an accomplished painter, Martin an astute art collector.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2007 08:50 pm
Steve Martin is a novelist, screenwriter and playwright as well.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:22 am
Re: standups
JLNobody wrote:
LittleK, you say you VOTED for Steve Martin. Was there a poll of some sort that I missed? You've got a superior sense of humor. The man is a serious actor, producer (I THINK he's a painter as well) and his SILLY humor is simultaneously childish and sophisticated. IMO

I'm almost positive that Steve Martin is not a painter, but he's definitely an art collector...mostly Contemporary. Also, you neglected to mention his writing, which has included a very popular play, "Picasso at the Lapin Agile," the novella, "Shopgirl," which was made into a movie, some pieces for The New Yorker, and a number of other books and plays.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:37 am
edgarblythe wrote:
A very young Jackie Mason was hilarious.

The older Jackie Mason is pretty darn funny, too. I saw him at a local comedy club and thought I was going to hurt myself I laughed so hard.
Then I saw one of his Broadway shows, but unfortunately it wasn't one of his better performances.
0 Replies

FlyFoy

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2007 11:48 am
Re: Funniest Comic
hosemonkey wrote:
Those that say Robin Williams are right on. Those that say anyone else are obviously struggling with the concept.

Robin Williams is your favorite. Good for you. I agree that he's brilliant (although a little Robin goes a long way and his obsession with his penis is juvenile and tiresome), but is it really necessary to insult those who don't share your preference?
0 Replies