How to tell if you're from New England

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 08:45 am
@boogs,
hmmm. Where in the South boogs?
If you moved to S. Florida, no, not friendly at all.

If you moved to many other places, totally friendly.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 08:49 am
@chai2,
Afternoon/Morning, Chai.

I was referring to you somewhere or other this morning, in one of the 'do you know who painted this' threads. Something to do with hoovering if I remember.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 09:03 am
@chai2,
I'm confused. I've lived in New England until 2010, whereupon I moved to So. Fl. I find it (at least in Sarasota) very friendly. Of course, many of the people I meet are from New England and the northeastern US. Hmmm?
chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 09:13 am
@Ragman,
Don't be confused ragman. That is my personal experience from living in the NE for 19 years, then in S Fla for 10, then continuing on to other areas of the country, settling for the last 20 plus years in Central Texas.

Sarasota isnt' what people think of when you say S. Fla. They are thinking of the Miami, Ft Laurderdale area. Sarasota is the West Coast of Fla. It's over by Bradenton, St. Pete and Tampa. Yeah, they are quite nice there.

I've had multiple friends visit me from S. Fla, and each and every one one of them have announced to me after venturing forth on their own for the day, and coming home, how they were floored how friendly people were.

If you're used to the level of friendliness in one place, and go to another, the difference may hit you in the face like a bright light.

Ok, there are friendly people in S. Fla. Of course there are.

Come visit me for a week and let me know what you think of the people here. I'll put you up in my back bedroom.

lordyaswas - it looks like I've been walking through wood stain again.
George

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 09:33 am
@chai2,
My youngest was just on a visit to Austin for a grad school interview and he
was impressed by how friendly everyone was. Also, by how quick they were
to assure you that Austin was different from most of Texas.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 10:10 am
@boogs,
boogs wrote:

Born in New England. Everything said is correct. Also when I moved away and asked for a tonic , I was looked at like I had three heads. Wicked came into being after I left. But everything is wicked in New England.

And whatever isn't wicked is pissah.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 12:01 pm
@George,
George wrote:

My youngest was just on a visit to Austin for a grad school interview and he
was impressed by how friendly everyone was. Also, by how quick they were
to assure you that Austin was different from most of Texas.

Yes. One can stand on the steps of the Capitol building and gaze off at Texas in the far distance.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:50 am
People from "East of Bngaw Maine" don't consider themselves as part of a region like New England. They are Mainers and part of a separate state. (Theyre a bit like like Texans but with skills)
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 06:33 am
@farmerman,
And now for a Bngaw related musical interlude......

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 06:41 am
@Lordyaswas,
Does that fuckin song ever stop?

JEEZUS.

Also My spell checquer reminds me that The town in Maine is BANGOR (pronounced Ban' gaw)
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 11:55 am
If you are from New England, the English football team that you are required to support is now Liverpool.

They merged with the Boston Red Sox 5 years ago.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cTW9dtYGNiU/UBGZjccr4YI/AAAAAAAAACs/ggmi6kXrMvg/s400/IMAG1529-1.jpg

Also, Red Sox/Liverpool owner John Henry now wants you all to treat "Boston" as a
collective noun and conjugate it like a plural noun whenever referring to the Red Sox.
(E.g., "Boston are winning...")

Finally, the clam chowder at the Legal Seafoods not-a-chain will be replaced with scouse. You'll get used to it.

Twisted Evil
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:09 pm
@Kolyo,
T'hell with Legal Seafoods. Every true Bostonian knows that the only genuine seafood restaurant in town is The Union Oyster House.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:16 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo, due to my interests in news fairly far and wide, I've followed a lot of news sites/magazines/newspapers over the years; one place that is still free to click on and read is The Guardian. So, I've gotten to reading that, even for sports news, like tennis, and world football from time to time. They're pretty good writers, from what I've seen. But - I always stop short, mid sentence, with that "Boston are winning" stuff. Whaaaat?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:28 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The best seafood in Boston begins on the SOuthern Maine border and extends north-east
George

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:30 pm
@farmerman,
Move that south to the Essex River and I might agree.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 12:40 pm
@George,
That's where I remember having the best fried clams I've ever tasted..
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 01:10 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The best seafood in Boston begins on the SOuthern Maine border and extends north-east

You just got through saying that most Maineiacs don't consider themselves New Englanders. How'd they get to be Bostonians of a sudden?
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The best FOOD in Boston starts at te Maine border.
Go with it will ya?

Boston hs good soda bread .
George

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Me too
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 07:55 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Boston hs good soda bread .