What does it mean to be French?

Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 12:25 pm
@Foofie,
I lived in New York. There are hundreds of thousands of francophones living there, including many French people. You can hear the language spoken at every street corner, and there are quite a few schools and high schools in the city offering bi-lingual (English-French) education.
roger

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 03:21 pm
@Olivier5,
OMG! You're French! All this time, I thought you were just a regular guy.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 03:59 pm
@roger,
:-)

Does "regular" exclude "French" now?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2015 05:08 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I lived in New York. There are hundreds of thousands of francophones living there, including many French people. You can hear the language spoken at every street corner, and there are quite a few schools and high schools in the city offering bi-lingual (English-French) education.

How long are you waiting at a street corner to hear someone speak French? You might hear it if you are on Fifth Ave; a big shopping street; however, NYC is greater than one upscale shopping street. Spanish is what one hears mostly in NYC, in Manhattan and the outer boroughs, or some Asian language, or possibly Russian. French? Tourists?

And, when did you live in NYC. You must mean Manhattan.

The people that speak French in NYC are living in a world that might include European summer vacations. But, that is not the NYC of eight million people.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 08:53 am
@Foofie,
Yes, I mean Manhattan.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 03:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Not to worry. Retirees die fast and they don't reproduce.

Not quite true. They have already reproduced and the young shall inherit.

We are the Brits.You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Very Happy
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 03:37 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Y'know, some of the geezers may be out there romancing young chambermaids..

Was that rich guy at a hotel in NYC a year or two ago french or british? I don't remember (I'm old you know). Anyway, elderly men of many lands still possibly have live sperm at their behest. It's the beckoning they might have trouble with.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 03:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Do you mean Strauss-Kahn, Osso?

He was a Frenchist. Top guy at the IMF at the time, who likes the women, whether they like it or not, it would seem.

The retirees moving down to France are usually spending a lot of money when they get there, repairing the semi derelict houses that they buy.
If you travel through rural France, you will see many empty, unloved old farmhouses and many ruins that are past repair.
Once the Brits, Germans and Dutch have had a go, they usually end up with new roofs, new septic tanks, rewired, re-painted and surrounded by cottage gardens.
Many French builders are getting a good living out of outsiders buying and renovating tired old French wrecks.
All of the French young are moving to the Cities, and their countryside is dying. The artisan bakers and various food producers in these parts of France are over the moon that us foreigners arrive and buy their stuff.

French bread is rhe best in the world, imo. Within a day or two of starting my holidays down there, a half mile walk each way at 7am every day for a Campagne loaf and a bag of croissant is a highly enjoyable chore.

Hungry now.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 04:14 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Yes. Just about as I finished typing I remembered the name Dominique, his go along wife. I slightly remembered the IMF but I'm too much a finance dummkopf to connect that to UK or France. I'm positive I'd like France or at least subsections of it, sort of how I like Italy - Italy is dear to me and I know great wads of bad about it. Same with the U.S, England, Mexico, and so on.

Fine breadmaker that I keep attempting to be, I've yet to make baguettes, much less pain de campagne.
0 Replies

Vernon of Prague

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 04:27 pm
@roger,
Quote:
OMG! You're French! All this time, I thought you were just a regular guy.

Hahaha! Could you please explain this? Smile

I am Czech! Does that make me regular or irregular? Shocked
roger

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2015 04:29 pm
@Vernon of Prague,
Try adding fiber to your diet if you want to be regular.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 06:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
We are the Brits.You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

If you dream of Bourgogne, and baguette, and small farmhouses... you are already French without even knowing it...
Vernon of Prague

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2015 07:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If you dream of Bourgogne, and baguette, and small farmhouses... you are already French without even knowing it...

... and lazy@ss life style, avoiding responsibilities, uninterested in society's issues followed by barking about revolution which will solve it all ... Smile
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:20 am
@Vernon of Prague,
For someone who is enjoying the hospitality of the French, and maybe making full use of their welfare generosity, you show a great talent for being an ingrate, bumfluff.

If you do not like your situation, you can always go back to the Czech republic, where people and society are obviously superior, in your mind.

The French people, especially the rural French people, are friendly and helpful, I find. They have strong family bonds and usually manage to strike a good life balance when it comes to work and home.

The French and the English have had the same love/hate relationship for hundreds of years, and although we nearly always end up having a verbal or written tennis match, when we sit down at the same dinner table it is amazing what friendship and laughter ensues.

To have an unfunny, adolescent, ingrate Czech posting tripe on here about the country that has upgraded his life and taken him in, does wrankle somewhat, even with a Brit.

Be nice and learn about the people around you, before jumping into a 21st Century thread with your 1970's soviet style humour.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
The French and the English have had the same love/hate relationship for hundreds of years, and although we nearly always end up having a verbal or written tennis match, when we sit down at the same dinner table it is amazing what friendship and laughter ensues.
The most interesting tennis matches happened indeed between 1337 and 1453 Wink
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I didn't mention the physical, Walt.

I think we may be past that, nowadays.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 10:59 am
@Lordyaswas,
I know. But do you know that the name of quite a few French towns/villages is English? Hastingues for instance. And Monpazier was known as la perle d'Angleterre - the pearl of England.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 01:49 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
I think we may be past that, nowadays.

6 nations tournament notwithstanding... :-)
Vernon of Prague

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 01:55 pm
@Lordyaswas,
boy... I have never seen such a pile of horse poo in one post. Are you drunk???

anyway, I have no quarrel here with anyone or any nation here. And I am sure people know it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 02:02 pm
@Olivier5,
http://i57.tinypic.com/21bojl1.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2v13j2s.jpg
Just mentioning the last ones ...
http://i62.tinypic.com/33fc5r6.jpg