What phobias do you have?

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:44 am
What phobias do you have? ---BBB

Brazilian compiles dictionary of phobias

A Brazilian writer has compiled what he says is the world's first dictionary of phobias. Igor Rafailov, from Pernambuco, came up with 1,029 entries, reports Jornal da Globo.

He said: "My goal is to help people understand and face their phobias. I searched for two years and couldn't find a single phobia dictionary in the world."

Among the phobias Mr Rafailov lists is 'felinephobia', the fear of cats, from which Napoleon is said to have suffered, and 'puppetphobia', the fear of dolls.

The longest entry in the book is 'hipomonsteresquipedalophobia' - the fear of reading or saying long words.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,348 • Replies: 31
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 11:04 am
I doubt that anyone with that fear will be reading this post BumbleBeeBoogie.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:17 pm
Uh, the term is ailurophobia, not felinephobia.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:20 pm
There have long been online ones, maybe he just wanted to move it to hardcopy.

Here's one: http://www.phobialist.com/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:47 pm
I'd say a touch of sociophobia and agoraphobia. I don't fear people in general, although today's society scares me, it's just people I don't know, especially in crowded places. I might add papaphobia and Politicophobia as well. I didn't notice Fratpartyophobia on the list, but I could add that too. One thing I don't suffer from is Coulrophobia.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity - I am afraid I will never recover from this fear. NEVER??? AAAAAHHHH!!!!!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:56 pm
Fear of 18th century French literature. I doubt this phobia has ever been classified or named, because I've never met anyone else who has it.

These days I can solve the problem by avoiding it altogether, although I have upon occasion frozen in book stores, suddenly realizing that I was in that section. However, when I was in high school I was a page in our town library, and one day they assigned me this section as one of my areas of responsibility. There was nothing I could do but make an excuse and quit the job. It was really humiliating.

I haven't made much progress with this phobia either, because even the proximity of such books is still absolutely terrifying to me. Because my phobia is so rare and so specific, I have sought in vain all of my life for support groups.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:59 pm
Nick,

Very funny! Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:14 pm
I am afraid of heights (acrophobia), and am pretty sure I'd suffer from a bad case of phallophobia if I ever got thrown in jail.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:18 pm
Heights- Acrophobia and Flying- Aviophobia. But I fly and climb mountains when I have to.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:27 pm
I forgot acrophobia on my list. Heights give me bad vertigo. Strangely enough, I have no trouble flying, or being high up in an enclosed space. Weird..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:36 pm
I have no fear of parasailing and mountain climbing nor dangling dangerously over a 300 foot ravine. Come with me Cav! I will help you conquer your fear!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:52 pm
I am at peace with my fears, Nick, but thanks for the invite. I'll tell you what...you and your buds go do that, and I'll bring the picnic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
Now regular sailing I like. Got banned as a kid from the summer camp sailing docks for taking out a boat in a storm and turtling it, losing the centerboard. They sent out counsellors in motorboats to 'rescue' us. We all got in, and then dived out halfway to shore. Heh heh...
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:35 pm
I suffer from bitchyfobia. You know those girls with fingernails of at least say two or three centimeters in length?
Just imagine one of those hands grabbing your balls...just so wrong.

In addition to that I used to suffer from Monophobia- Fear of solitude or being alone and I guess still suffering from Claustrophobia - yeah I love the classics.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:55 pm
I never realized that I had a fear of bitches with long fingernails until thehamster brought it to my attention. Eeeek! I will ner get naked in front of bitches again!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 08:56 pm
Nick, once you stop scouting your dates at kennels, it shouldn't be a problem.
0 Replies

thehamster

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:10 am
Yeah Nick, cav's right.
You seem to suffer from Social Phobia- Fear of being evaluated negatively in social situations.
Just get out there, say hi to a cute girl with characters and let the balls go dangle-dangle - or invite her for dinner first so you get to know her a little better, if you wish.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 04:48 am
Spiders... or anything with extra legs like a spider... like a crab.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:13 am
Anoxia wrote:
Spiders... or anything with extra legs like a spider... like a crab.

Well, nobody likes crabs, but crab, the edible variety, is quite good. I do have to ask why you think that the legs on these creatures are "extra"? Maybe they need them. Where do we draw the line? Are you a bipedal bigot? Two legs for us humans, four legs on our furry friends, six legs on most insects, eight legs on the arachnids. What is the right number of legs? I will assume you draw the line at six legs, and anything over that is considered "extra".
0 Replies