Anybody remeber how we were first taught english in pre-or 1st grade?

DOMO79

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 07:02 pm
I was thinking about this for awhile, I don't remember any thing from my childhood. I am 35 and have bad grammar I want to fix it but not just my grammar on how we are taught to express what we see or feel. but I think it goes deeper than grammar first by a image to a certain letter sounding but where to then.
for an example there is a picture up of a fire truck for young kids, you see the teacher saying TA TA TA but we all know just re-saying something isn't the best way to learn do to you learning how to say a certain image yes but if you were to read a book, that's where the homonym, homophones and homograph
right? then from there in school it's clauses, linking verbs etc right?

neologist

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 07:08 pm
@DOMO79,
Most painless way of learning good grammar is reading good writers.

Beats diagramming sentences, any day.
neologist

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 07:09 pm
@neologist,
Or,
listening to good speakers. Though they may be harder to find than one might think.
neologist

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 07:10 pm
@neologist,
OK, OK.
There's always Strunk and White
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:19 pm
Much reading is the only way I know that will polish up one's own writing. I was extremely fortunate in being able to read quite well(for a six-year-old, I mean) before I entered the first grade. My parents had home-schooled me in the basics as soon as I was old enough to receive this knowledge. A byproduct of this was the development of a love of reading. At a very early age I was requesting gifts of books as birthday and Christmas presents, not so much toys or anything similar.
Ragman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was precocious also. At the age of 10, I asked my parents for a hooker. I wanted a college-educated one...so she could teach me the classics.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:05 am
Children learn grammar before they have ever heard the word, or understand what it means (many adults don't really understand what the word means--they will, for example, call a misspelled word "bad grammar"). You've been given the best advice here--read, read, read. Reading good playwrights would help a great deal because of what they write, which is dialogue--spoken language.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:15 am
@DOMO79,
If you want to listen to good speakers, Google TED Talks. Even if you don't understand the subject matter, the speakers are all articulate (you have to be in order to be invited to make such a presentation).

For reading, start with what you like. A lot of kids got into reading with the Harry Potter books, and a lot of adults love them as well.
0 Replies