Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 08:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
If it can fire multiple rounds with one trigger pull then it is full auto, not semi-auto.

Thanks. I was already aware of the definition of a full automatic weapon. I am also aware that a semi-automatic weapon, with the switch of a level can instantly become automatic. That is why it's called semi-automatic. I've always known what was defined as a full automatic weapon. I've always known what was defined as a semi-automatic weapon.

The only terminology I might have misused or failed to understand was the term "assault rifle." Thank you for clarifying the definition of the term "assault rifle"
Glennn

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 09:14 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
I am also aware that a semi-automatic weapon, with the switch of a level can instantly become automatic.

Really? Could you provide some reference to that claim?

Further, could you tell me why I shouldn't have a handgun in my home for self defense?
Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:03 pm
@Glennn,
I never claimed to be an expert regarding weapons. It's been almost 30 years since I've separated from the Air Force. Back then, I remember having to have to qualify on the M16 rifle once every year. In my particular field we only train on the M16 once a year. There were some fields that train on the M16 much more frequently. Back then, I remember the M16 rifle being a semi-automatic weapon. Back then, based on my training with the M16 rifle, there was a switch on the side of the rifle. I seemed to remember that switch could be placed in one of three positions. The first position of that switch would enable the rifle to only fire one round at a time. The second position of this switch would enable the rifle to fire off three round burst each time you squeeze the trigger. The third position of the switch would be full automatic mode, meaning that the rounds would fire continuously while squeezing the trigger until you either empty the magazine or release your finger from the trigger. Semi-Automatic means you had a switch on your weapon that gave you the capability to instantly convert the weapon from single shot mode to continuous firing modes. Full automatic means your weapon is only capable of continuous firing mode while you are squeezing the trigger.

I don't know what does any of this have to do with you owning a handgun for self defense. I support your right to own a handgun and self defense. You are comparing apples to oranges.
Glennn

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:13 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges.

You said: "I am also aware that a semi-automatic weapon, with the switch of a level can instantly become automatic."

What you really meant to say was that automatic weapons, with the switch of a lever, can instantly become semi-automatic. However, if you really believe that semi-automatic weapons can become automatic weapons with the switch of a lever, then provide reference to that claim.
Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:26 pm
@Glennn,
okay. I stand corrected.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 10:50 pm
Stephen King

@StephenKing
Bruce Poliquin, Maine's 2nd District representative, is an NRA sweetheart. According to the NY Times, the gunners have given him over $200,000 during his political career. Send him your thoughts and prayers in November, but not your vote.

6:59 AM - Feb 20, 2018
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
I don't know of anyone on the left seeking a total ban of guns...

We want background checks and sensible regulation.

We just don't want the NRA indiscriminately buying off GOP senators so guns can be sold to anyone whatsoever...

Is that really that hard to comprehend?

Giving a crazy, unstable, fuckhead high school kid an automatic weapon just to make the gun lobby happy is the problem!

Not law abiding stable minded citizens seeking to protect their own property and person.

No one wants a full gun ban but close to 90% of the non bought off population do want background checks on all gun sales and some sort of way of prosecuting gun dealers and private gun owners who overstep their responsibility of selling guns.

The NRA has put profit before people... With this strategy they are militarizing our streets with a glut of guns that make gun carrying idiots flock to fast food joints, crawling out from their low-life gutter to flash off their small penis pistols in public.

More guns do not make us safer...

Gun regulation makes us safer, not just letting the purely profit seeking gun lobbies run amok in our governing bodies unobstructed...
glitterbag

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:21 pm
@TheCobbler,
I agree with you, I would never support a movement to ban or confiscate guns. But when the NRA refuses to even consider denying guns to people on the no fly list, or people with serious mental issues...I don't feel safe. I still don't support a ban, but I do wonder about the mental health of NRA leadership.

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 22 Feb, 2018 11:47 pm
The House and their, "moment of silence" for the Parkland victims... How apropos!
glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 12:00 am
@TheCobbler,
Just what the kids want, more thoughts and prayers. I wonder how long it will be before it gets reduced to just an acronym like LOL, oh dear there's been an other mass shooting T & P, T & P
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 06:39 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
I seriously doubt that the NRA would ever support that goal.

Maybe not.

Real Music wrote:
The reason the NRA would never support that goal is because the gun manufacturers and ammunition manufacturers would never support that goal.

That is incorrect. The gun manufacturers have no objections to such a ban, as it would not harm their profits.

Real Music wrote:
The NRA biggest financial supporter is not the paid members of the NRA. The biggest financial supporter of the NRA are the gun manufacturers and ammunition manufacturers. There goal is to sell as many guns and as much ammunitions to as many customers as humanly possible. Anything that interferes with that goal will result in the gun manufacturers ordering the NRA to fight against it.

Such a law would not interfere with their profits.

The NRA does not take orders from the gun manufacturers. It is actually the reverse. We tell the gun manufacturers what to do.

Real Music wrote:
The NRA say they represent the will of it's members. That's not entirely true. Many of the laws that the NRA opposes, the NRA members actually support.

The hardcore activists certainly don't support unconstitutional laws.

Real Music wrote:
The NRA really represent the gun industry.

That is incorrect. The gun industry is represented by the NSSF.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 06:40 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Thank you for clarifying the definition of the term "assault rifle"

There are actually multiple definitions. There is a good argument to be made that a proper true definition of assault rifle involves only full auto (or at least three shot burst) weapons.

However, the gun control movement legally defined assault weapon as a semi-auto with certain cosmetic features. And these are the weapons that the fight is about.

I am using the definition that describes the weapons that are in contention.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 06:41 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Nice try. The left always says they don't want a ban, but every time they see an opening to pass such a ban, they always attempt to pass the ban.

You don't fool anyone.

TheCobbler wrote:

It is weird the way people who either support fascism or oppose civil rights always claim common sense.

TheCobbler wrote:
We just don't want the NRA indiscriminately buying off GOP senators so guns can be sold to anyone whatsoever...

You may not like it that we defend civil rights....

...but too bad.

TheCobbler wrote:

We understand you completely, and stand ready to defeat you if you want an even worse drubbing than we gave you last time.

TheCobbler wrote:
the purely profit seeking gun lobbies run amok in our governing bodies unobstructed...

The gun lobby seeks protection of civil rights, not profit.

And the First Amendment allows us to participate in politics no matter how much you dislike civil rights.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 12:01 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I agree with you, I would never support a movement to ban or confiscate guns.

For now, but when people continue to be killed by guns and the anti-gun lobby will convince you that a total ban on guns is the only solution. Like a good little leftist, you will agree with them and continue to use victims as props for gutting the 2nd Amendment. If you have ever argued that the 2nd Amendment only applied to militias, then you want a gun ban.

Quote:
But when the NRA refuses to even consider denying guns to people on the no fly list,

You must really hate the ACLU, they agreed with the NRA on this issue. Without knowing you were on the list and no due process to be put on the list, it is indeed a violation of citizens rights.

Quote:
or people with serious mental issues...I don't feel safe. I still don't support a ban, but I do wonder about the mental health of NRA leadership.

Since mass-shootings have increased over the last decade, it is the pro-gun citizens and the NRA who have been pointing out most of these people had screws loose and encouraged Congress to work on mental health issues. The only intention of the left so far has been to restrict guns, that's the answer to them. Has CA or IL, some of the states with the worst regulations doing anything about guns or mental health? Nope, but they sure have made moves to ban and restrict guns and cosmetic items for them as well as put pointless limits on magazine capacity, which so far have had no effect on any killings.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 01:35 pm
@Baldimo,
Well dear heart, I'm not weak-minded like you. In other words, I'm not much of a joiner, never belonged to a sorority (no criticism about it, just found it too limiting) and blind obedience has never been high on my list of 'must-do's'.

That's probably why I pay no attention to you. You strike me as someone who is not intellectually sound when it comes to (gasp) different opinions. It seems you think it's somehow a slight against you because if someone doesn't fit into your tiny, restrictive good or bad box, you are offended. Maybe you should rethink your position because when you think you have been 'offended' you get offensive. It honestly doesn't concern me what you think of me or my opinions. And really now, why should it?
Baldimo

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 03:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Well dear heart, I'm not weak-minded like you. In other words, I'm not much of a joiner, never belonged to a sorority (no criticism about it, just found it too limiting) and blind obedience has never been high on my list of 'must-do's'.

Not sure what this is in response too. Did you respond to the wrong post or do you get off on trying to insult people? Weak minded...

Quote:
That's probably why I pay no attention to you. You strike me as someone who is not intellectually sound when it comes to (gasp) different opinions. It seems you think it's somehow a slight against you because if someone doesn't fit into your tiny, restrictive good or bad box, you are offended. Maybe you should rethink your position because when you think you have been 'offended' you get offensive. It honestly doesn't concern me what you think of me or my opinions. And really now, why should it?

You sure wasted a lot of breath to call me stupid. I'm not sure where you think I was offended and then in return offered offence, was it because I didn't agree with you? No rebuttal means no answers to the problem. Have a good weekend.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 03:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I'm not weak-minded like you. In other words, I'm not much of a joiner, never belonged to a sorority (no criticism about it, just found it too limiting) and blind obedience has never been high on my list of 'must-do's'.

Some people have spent a lifetime working for war criminals and terrorists. That obviously requires a certain measure of blind obedience.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 08:00 pm
“Family values” politician tied naked mistress to exercise equipment, then blackmailed her: report
https://www.queerty.com/family-values-politician-tied-naked-mistress-exercise-equipment-blackmailed-report-20180223
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 23 Feb, 2018 11:20 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Giving a crazy, unstable, fuckhead high school kid an automatic weapon just to make the gun lobby happy is the problem!

Not law abiding stable minded citizens seeking to protect their own property and person.

No one wants a full gun ban but close to 90% of the non bought off population do want background checks on all gun sales and some sort of way of prosecuting gun dealers and private gun owners who overstep their responsibility of selling guns.

The NRA has put profit before people... With this strategy they are militarizing our streets with a glut of guns that make gun carrying idiots flock to fast food joints, crawling out from their low-life gutter to flash off their small penis pistols in public.

More guns do not make us safer...

Gun regulation makes us safer, not just letting the purely profit seeking gun lobbies run amok in our governing bodies unobstructed...

Agreed, but it's good to remember that there is another side of the coin. I don't think it's reported much, but a couple of years ago, within a week or two, I read about two cases in which families thwarted home invasions because they had guns.