Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 04:23 am
@Baldimo,
I have no idea what kabobs are, unless you mean kebabs, not being awkward just not sure. A kebab is Greek/Turkish, pitta bread filled with meat (usually lamb,) salad and sauce. You usually need to be drunk to have one.

As for fish and chips, a good chip shop is everything, and much as I love Southampton most of our chip shops are pretty lousy. I usually drive out of town to get some. (I'm not joking.)
izzythepush

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 04:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
Sorry it's a comedy sketch by Mitchell and Webb, the theme being that people perform well/make the best decisions when they're slightly drunk.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:05 pm
@izzythepush,
London used to have fish and chip shops everywhere in the late 1950s. Now, you need to hunt for them.
camlok

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Overfishing.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 01:07 am
@camlok,
Not really, most chip shops sell a variety of batter coated savouries, fish is a small part.
camlok

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 09:17 am
@izzythepush,
Was that always so, Izzy? It doesn't match my image of English F&C shops.

Another childhood memory/image shot down!
izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 11:29 am
@camlok,
Pretty much, pie and chips, sausage and chips, spam fritter and chips, fishcake and chips. In Northumberland you can get haggis and chips.

The main fish affected by overfishing was cod, and some years ago there was a campaign to get people to cut down on cod consumption, one alternative trialled was coley, although cod is now back on the menu. Even then haddock and plaice were unaffected.

The main reason for decline is increased competition. Fish and chips used to be the only takeaway food available. Now there's a huge amount of variety. I remember going on a coach trip to London and being told how we'd visit McDonalds for a treat seeing as there were only about 2 or 3 branches in Britain and they were all in London. Now they're bloody everywhere. Pizza was unheard of until the 80s, now they're bloody everywhere too.
Blickers

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 12:30 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote izzy:
Quote:
I remember going on a coach trip to London and being told how we'd visit McDonalds for a treat seeing as there were only about 2 or 3 branches in Britain and they were all in London. Now they're bloody everywhere.

America has invented a whole slew of things of which it can be justly proud. McDonald's and similar places are not among them.

At least the Brits banned the Pink Slime stuff from the McDonald's outlets there. Because of the publicity, eventually McDonald's and others finally banned it too-but apparently Pink Slime lives on in the digestive systems of American beef eaters.

izzythepush

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2017 01:09 pm
@Blickers,
Pink slime isn't the only thing available in America that's banned over here . There's something like 200 additives banned by the EU. That's one of the concerns about Brexit, the loosening of food standards.

Re the decline of the chippie, some of it was the American brand influx but others were due to immigration, Chinese and Indian restaurants/takeaways shot up post war.

Over here McDonalds tries to position itself as British. The American adverts just replayed unedited put people off. Now it's only kid's toys that they keep the American adverts for, kids are less discerning.

0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2017 12:02 pm
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16865067_974392676025557_1858259633548338934_n.jpg?oh=1dcb4845f0dc8b301fe22d611e9f46c6&oe=5935EB4F
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:23 pm
Assault Weapons Not Protected by Second Amendment, Federal Appeals Court Rules
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106
TheCobbler

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:28 pm
@izzythepush,
In the US, the public voted and approved "bonds" for universities to investigate and curtail overfishing but as with any capitalistic society, the fishing lobbies also contributed to the universities to squelch their findings and allow over fishing to occur. Now anything that moves, even sea rocks are exploited for profit...
TheCobbler

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:44 pm
FPL Wins Battle to Store Radioactive Waste Under Miami's Drinking Water Aquifer
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/fpl-wins-battle-to-store-radioactive-waste-under-miamis-drinking-water-aquifer-9059210

0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:45 pm
@TheCobbler,
I don't know where you get your info, but there is actually restrictions on the amount of fish that can be legally caught and it is strictly monitored at the locations where the fish are sold, unless they go through a black market where regulations are not enforced. Have you ever seen a modern day fish market, I'm talking about the large scale ones? Govt officials all over the place.

Don't forget there are also fisheries that abound up and down the costs of the US, to prevent over-fishing and still provide to market demands.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:48 pm
British Parliament Makes History and Votes “No” To Trump, Bans Him From Visit
http://alternativemediasyndicate.com/2017/02/21/british-parliament-makes-history-votes-no-trump-bans-visit/
camlok

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:39 pm
@TheCobbler,
Has he been kicked out of Scotland too? Is his golf course kaput?
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:48 pm
Pope Francis: "A wealthy Christian knocks at the gates of heaven and says, "Here I am, Lord! ... I went to Church, I was close to you, I belong to this association, I did this... Don't you remember all the offerings I made?"
To which Jesus may reply, according to the Pope:
"Yes, I remember. The offerings, I remember them: All dirty. All stolen from the poor. I don't know you.' That will be Jesus' response to these scandalous people who live a double life."

Comment:
Wealthy is the humble of heart and spirit. tc
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:01 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Assault Weapons Not Protected by Second Amendment, Federal Appeals Court Rules
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/assault-weapons-not-protected-second-amendment-federal-appeals-court-rules-n724106

Democrats always nominate judges who maliciously allow the Constitution to be violated.

Once Trump has replaced enough of the liberals on the Supreme Court, they will start stepping in and overruling this sort of nonsense.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:15 pm
@oralloy,
When it comes to rulings like Roe vs Wade, I have to wonder, abortion was ruled Constitutional based on a persons privacy and "medical procedure" is also mentioned as a reason to allow abortion.

Based on this reasoning, why couldn't a scientist conduct human DNA testing and then doing it on people who want to have it done. I know there are regulations against this, but what is stopping a doctor/scientist from using the "privacy" and medical procedure reasoning to get around govt regulation and winning in court based on the Roe vs Wade decisions?

As a side note, what was the result of the Bush era restrictions on stem cell research?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 03:18 pm
@TheCobbler,
That's not quite as sensational as it sounds. John Bercow, the speaker had already announced he opposed Trump addressing the commons. The state visit will still go ahead, but will probably take place when parliament's not sitting, and the Tories have said addressing parliament had never been on the table anyway.