Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 04:51 am
Kasich camp bashes Priebus, warns of national GOP 'wipeout'

Source: Politico

Ohio Gov. John Kasich's war with the national Republican Party exploded into the open Sunday night, when his top adviser thrashed GOP leader Reince Priebus and hinted that the presidential election may be out of reach for Donald Trump.

The statement, issued on official campaign letterhead, followed remarks by Priebus earlier Sunday suggesting the party might block the Ohio governor from running for president again because he has refused to support Trump.

"Thankfully, there are still leaders in this country who put principles before politics," said John Weaver, Kasich's adviser, adding, "The idea of a greater purpose beyond oneself may be alien to political party bosses like Reince Priebus, but it is at the center of everything Governor Kasich does."

Weaver derided Priebus as "a Kenosha political operative," referring to Priebus's Wisconsin home, and said the three-term Republican National Committee leader should be thanking Kasich for "an inclusive, conservative vision that can actually win a national election."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/kasich-priebus-trump-228343
woiyo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 08:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Kasich is free to leave the party if he so desires.
Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:24 am
@parados,
Quote:
So, now we agree that many factors affect why companies moved jobs overseas and we are just dickering over which ones are the most responsible.

It would seem that way.

Quote:
The foreign non union plants have only forced wages for everyone to go down. Do you really think $10-$15 an hour is a good wage?

Which foreign auto company pays their people that low? None I could find. In fact I think US auto workers are overpaid for their jobs and this is mainly due to the Unions. Now you as a union supporter will think this is a good thing, and that would explain why you can't see the cause of the decline of Detroit.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/03/29/foreign-domestic-automakers-wage-gap/

Quote:
Your link points out that the benefits of regulations often outweigh the costs.

Which benefits would those be and from whose perspective are they benefits?

Quote:
It seems it is only about making profits often at the expense of workers, the environment and the country as a whole.

That is a petty view of what business is about. What did you do for a living before you retired?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:32 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:
The foreign non union plants have only forced wages for everyone to go down. Do you really think $10-$15 an hour is a good wage?

Which foreign auto company pays their people that low? None I could find.

You didn't look very far.

Quote:
GM workers in Mexico earn wages and benefits of 340 pesos a day ($26.40) on average, or less than $4 an hour, said Tereso Medina, head of the union for GM’s 5,000 workers in Saltillo, a city that makes one in four Mexican autos.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2010-06-09/gm-ford-to-accelerate-growth-at-mexico-plants-where-workers-get-26-a-day

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:36 am
@izzythepush,
Do you even pay attention to what is being discussed? We were talking about foreign auto makers in the US and their pay of US workers. Not what workers in Mexico get paid, try to stick with the subject and not make things up as you go along.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 10:51 am
@Baldimo,
You don't think the comparatively low wages paid to Mexican workers have any bearing on the American motor industry, seriously?

An industrial engineer working in South Africa earns an average of US$14125 pa.

Would you work for that pittance?
Blickers

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:34 am
@izzythepush,
Seriously, Baldimo doesn't think the auto factories that moved to Mexico that pay workers a hilariously low wage aren't primarily responsible for Detroit's downfall? How is that possible?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:38 am
@Blickers,
Here are the major reasons the auto industry moved to Mexico.
http://blog.ryder.com/2013/07/manufacturing-moving-to-mexico/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:43 am
@Blickers,
It seems Mexico is gaining and the US and Canada are losing.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/06/15/auto-jobs-mexico/71224972/
It's not only labor cost, but land and development costs.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:49 am
Here's the 2014 list of all cars sold in America, both of foreign and domestic companies, and how much of that car is actually American produced. A large percentage of American models are under 50% American produced, and quite a few are under 25%.

the Ford Fusion is only a third American made, the Cadillac SRX(!!) is only one fourth American made and the venerable Chevy Caprice is only 15% American made. That has to have an amazing impact on Detroit, where all these cars were made.

Here's the whole list:
http://www.american.edu/kogod/autoindex/2014.cfm

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:51 am
@bobsal u1553115,
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/trump-shatters-gop-records-with-small-donors-228338
Trump is successful in raising money from small donors. That's probably because they are the uneducated, older white men.
0 Replies

Suttle Tea

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 11:57 am
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/14368859_1083128111743121_1027221067226805407_n.png?oh=d859573c3807fe83bebdd2678b9ccbec&oe=587D7D85
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:14 pm
@Suttle Tea,
That's a grand message for the American people, but we still have racial bigots and xenophobes who support Trump. They are donating money to his campaign. It only matters that we must all go to the polls and vote in November to defeat this bigot who doesn't understand the US Constitution.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Why are you trying to bend the subject of the conversation in another direction? Can't keep up with what the actual subject is? What US auto makers pay their employees vs what foreign auto makers pay their employees.

Quote:
You don't think the comparatively low wages paid to Mexican workers have any bearing on the American motor industry, seriously?

I think the wages that are paid to American workers doing the same work are to high. $60hr to US workers in the unions vs upper $30 for the same workers in US based foreign plants. Either wage is a decent wage but $60hr to build cars sounds overpriced. It's no wonder the cars here in the US cost so much.

Quote:
An industrial engineer working in South Africa earns an average of US$14125 pa.

Is that a good wage vs cost of living in South Africa? I couldn't tell you. If that total is $14k a year then that is about a min wage job here in the states.

Quote:
Would you work for that pittance?

Apples and oranges. What you should be asking if what my job pays in South Africa and then compare the wages. On top of that you have to compare the cost of living between the US and South Africa. I'm pretty sure the cost of living in SA is much cheaper than it is here in the US. A quick scan for apartments shows it is much cheaper in SA than in Denver Metro. I'm paying $1750 a month for a 900 sqft. 2bed 2 bathroom apt. They are paying about $800 for a 3 bedroom in "the city center".

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=South+Africa&displayCurrency=USD
I switched the prices to USD.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:21 pm
@Blickers,
Why are so many foreign companies moving operations here? You will notice none of them are union jobs and they pay their people well. I'm also sure they pay on performance where with Unions you don't. The person who does a shitty job gets the same pay as the workers who does an awesome job. Unions don't want exceptional, they want average and then demand everyone gets the exceptional pay. We just went through this crap here in CO with the teachers Unions and the school boards.
snood

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:22 pm
@Suttle Tea,
Have the two ex-president Bushes actually spoken out against Trump? The best I can tell, they've just not endorsed or spoken in support.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 12:30 pm
@Baldimo,
When I was in college, I also had a union job that paid well. We learned in Economics that union jobs help raise the pay of nonunion jobs. There are pros and cons in all pay structures no matter what skill or job. Everybody wants more pay. Some cities have established minimum pay above the Federal minimum. I believe that's a good thing, because not all cities are created equal. Living in San Francisco is much different than living in Gilroy, both in California. I think the current Federal minimum wage is $7.25/hour. In our city, I believe it's $11.00/hour. It goes up to $13.00/hour on January 1, 2018.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:02 pm
@woiyo,
Quote:
Kasich is free to leave the party if he so desires.

So the big tent thing is pretty much by-gone, eh?

Kasich is a true Republican, albeit conservative: as my grand-father was. One of the few honest Republicans ever (BTW- I voted for him in the primary), and you want him out.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 01:06 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160919-mike-pence-reveals-his-vp-role-model_zpssxdv51pr.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2016 02:07 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Why are so many foreign companies moving operations here?

Probably because they're impressed by your president. Not an easy job after America's reputation had been dragged through the mud by his predecessor.