Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

Blickers

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 02:09 pm
@taba,
Quote taba:
Quote:
And my links show Jefferson belonged to a party that opposed everything todays Democrats want.

And the Republican Party has switched on state's rights and other issues as well in the century and a half of its existence. Jefferson was still a founder of the forerunner of the Democratic Party.

Quote taba:
Quote:
And the cow is the forerunner for ice cream.

And the US Army Air Corps was the forerunner of the US Air Force. Same people in it. And the American Football League was the forerunner of the American Conference of the NFL. By and large, same owners and same players. In that sense, Jefferson founded the forerunner to the Democratic Party.

Quote taba:
Quote:
And Teddy Roosevelt would have turned the Middle East into a piece of glass. ISIS would not have happened.

And Roosevelt would not have been in the Middle East in the first place. Away from the Americas, (where he was aggressive), Teddy was quite the peacemaker in international affairs. He won the Nobel Prize for Peace by getting Russia and Japan to avoid war, and he prevented war between Britain and France over Morocco. And he was, by present Republican standards, a RINO because he was an "environmentalist wacko", as well as being anti-Big Business and pro-labor union. You don't know a damn thing about Teddy Roosevelt.

Quote taba:
Quote:
The graphic is correct.

Jefferson was a Democrat, Teddy Roosevelt was a RINO. The graphic is WRONG.

taba

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 03:48 pm
@Blickers,
Quote:
You don't know a damn thing about Teddy Roosevelt.

You don't that much yourself.
Quote:
Theodore Roosevelt on the prospects of Muslim liberalization

Paul K. writes:

The situation in “liberated” Egypt, where Muslims are attacking the Christian Copt minority and burning their churches, brings to mind observations former president Theodore Roosevelt made after visiting that country in 1910. Discussing the Egyptian Nationalist movement, which sought to expel the British imperialists, Roosevelt noted that while some of its leaders had liberal ideas, their views would not prevail. He wrote:

The real strength of the Nationalist movement in Egypt, however, lay not with these Levantines of the cafes, but with the mass of practically unchanged bigoted Moslems to whom the movement meant driving out the foreigner, plundering and slaying the local Christian, and a return to all the violence and corruption which festered under the old-style Moslem rule, whether Asiatic or African.

Roosevelt is condemned by many on the right as the original progressive, but on many issues he was quite clear-sighted..

LA replies:

A hundred years ago, the American leadership class clearly understood and forthrightly stated that the adherents of Islam were antithetical to us and our civilization. Today, our “leaders” tell us that Muslims are just like us, and that if we believe otherwise we are morally defective and un-American. As I’ve written:

What would have been inconceivable 70 or 80 years ago is unquestionable today. A society that 70 years ago wouldn’t have dreamed of admitting large numbers of Muslims, today doesn’t dream of reducing, let alone stopping, the immigration of Muslims.

- end of initial entry -

Suttle Tea

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 08:40 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12745712_1067566053336448_5780888067028033820_n.jpg?oh=7f76c3686c636c9d983a24b4712dfa42&oe=57284279]

AHAHAHA!
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 08:53 pm
@Suttle Tea,
Just goes to show Senators can't be too smart. Doesn't understand his own government. He served since 1981.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 11:26 pm
@taba,
Teddy's opinion of Muslims is not that important, since there were few in the country then and not that many now. However, here is something that was big then and big now:

Quote Theodore Roosevelt:
Quote:
It is essential that there should be organizations of labor. This is an era
of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize.
Speech, Oct 14, 1912

Can you imagine any Republican candidate for the Presidency saying such a thing now? If Roosevelt ran for President in the GOP now, he not only wouldn't be in the 9 PM debate, they wouldn't let him near the 7 PM debate. Face it, Teddy Roosevelt was a RINO, (Republican In Name Only), in many ways, by current standards. His ideas would never be accepted now. Besides, he was a self-admitted progressive. It was a different world back then, and a different Republican Party these days.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 08:05 am
http://media.cagle.com/118/2016/02/14/175474_600.jpg
0 Replies

Suttle Tea

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:05 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t1.0-9/12742004_1117528718280898_7554911337454487974_n.jpg?oh=d34299b737c7bfe9cba727e9d5830e26&oe=572C915B
parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 11:30 am
@taba,
By that argument one could say that Lincoln belonged to a party that opposed everything today's Republicans want.
zarwin

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 02:50 pm
@parados,
Quote:
By that argument one could say that Lincoln belonged to a party that opposed everything today's Republicans want.

Taba gave examples. Are you capable of that or just have to jump on the wagon?

Ask why Blatham can rejoice in TR and completely discount other things he said? Especially the use of " bigoted Muslims." A common sense conclusion before PC.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:03 pm
@Suttle Tea,
They don't understand simple concepts. I'm hoping that the next president is a democrat - for the next 50 years..
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:27 pm
@zarwin,
It wasn't blatham it was I. And I answered the post about Theodore Roosevelt not liking Muslims by pointing out it was not a major thing at the time. And I pointed out that Theodore Roosevelt also strongly favored the environment, making him an "environmentalist wacko" by modern Republican standards, and also said,
Teddy Roosevelt said:
Quote:
It is essential that there should be organizations of labor. This is an era
of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize.

I gave two examples of things Theodore Roosevelt did or said that were too progressive for the Republican Party today, and would disqualify him from ever getting the Republican nomination for President at this time. And he was President well over 100 years ago.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 15 Feb, 2016 03:53 pm
@zarwin,
Let's see..

State's rights. Lincoln opposed the South having the rights to go against the Federal government. Today's GOP is the opposite.

Lincoln imposed the first income tax. He then raised the tax rate on the wealthy the following year.

Lincoln created the IRS when he set up the Commission of Internal Revenue.

Do you see a difference between the Republicans of today vs Lincoln?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:56 am
http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/AnderN/2016/AnderN20160217_low.jpg
snood

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 10:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I know, right? Just look at 'em go.....
glitterbag

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:29 am
@snood,
Jack Kennedy told us we should 'ask what we can do for our country', we apparently said 'Hell no'. Does anybody imagine this country will ever build another monument that comes close to Mt. Rushmore? I think we will sit by while developers built shoddy cliff hanging condos and a mall with all the usual stores you see coast to coast (the GAP, Home Depot, Claire's, Kay Jewelers, Victoria Secret,Pottery Barn, Old Navy and all the other cookie cutter vendors) and the fine dining establishments like McDonalds, Olive Garden, PF Chang, California Pizza Kitchen, you know, like Grandma used to make because she only baked TV dinners.

Does anyone really think that there Olive Gardens in Sicily?
snood

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:35 am
@glitterbag,
I know what you mean. One of the (many) things I fear about a GOP presidency is more neglect of our infrastructure, abuse of our national parks, and generally letting the country go to hell. I certainly can't imagine any Republican putting things like national monuments as a priority - unless of course they build them to Saint Ronald of Raygun.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 11:38 am
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1507617_942363429120910_5624982291889706013_n.jpg?oh=a52099cdfffecfcad4a7c24c30cbac0e&oe=572FF220

Oh, I don't know, just thought this beared repeating... not to hard to imagine that it applies to this present crop of GOP candidates...
Baldimo

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 01:16 pm
@Blickers,
You couldn't be more wrong. Legal immigrants who overstay their visa's come in by plane. Do you have any proof to show that most illegal immigrants come into the US via plane?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:13 pm
@snood,
But ... but .... but .... racism is, ah .... you know .... dead. Some of my best ..........
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2016 07:32 pm
Guess what, boys and girls? I was fact-checking myself and found out that the quote on the poster attributed to Colin Powell wan't said by Colin Powell!!
(Pause to allow recovery from gasps)
It was actually said by his former chief of staff Lawrence Wilkerson. Wilkerson was appearing on the MSNBC tv show The Ed Show in October 2012. Still a good quote.
0 Replies