Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 05:58 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/12670225_10204197511096339_7319933441684860158_n.jpg?oh=aba47e2595d7bf3f297f8c78ce5ac566&oe=5734F5B4
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:05 am
Sanders under fire from Senate Democrats
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-senate-democrats-218751
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
[img]And I always thought the republicans were for less government intrusion into private lives. What happened? [/img]

They are against government intrusion into their private lives: their own. Yours, not so much.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:17 am
@cicerone imposter,
I know, the bankers don't superpac him, Wall Street doesn't superpac him, private prison industry doesn't superpac him, he doesn't hang with Trump and Trump never threw him money. Hillary can't make any of those claims.

Nurses or Wall Street: which do you want you contributing to your candidate's campaign? Bernie's made less than $2,000 speaking fees, he donated it to charity. Ms Clinton's made over $150,000,000. The hugest bulk went to their personal wealth and their foundation. You think the donors are so dumb as to think Ms Clinton won't see the quid pro quo attached to it?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 06:38 am
Hillary Clinton sounded a lot like Bernie Sanders after losing New Hampshire
Source: Washington Post

After getting blown away in Tuesday's Democratic primary in New Hampshire, Hillary Clinton in her address to supporters sounded a bit like the candidate who trounced her. Sure, there were the usual talking points — equal pay for women, her readiness for "all parts of the job," and her lifelong commitment to public service, among them. But Clinton also made clear that going forward, she wants in on the message that is serving Bernie Sanders so shockingly well in this campaign.

There can be little argument that Sanders, with his constant lampooning of "the billionaires," has owned the conversation about money in politics. The Vermont senator proudly touts his lack of a super PAC (he did so again in his victory speech) to strike a contrast with Clinton's vast political machine. But Clinton moved in on Sanders's territory Tuesday night.

"In this campaign, you've heard a lot about Washington and about Wall Street. Now, Senator Sanders and I both want to get secret, unaccountable money out of politics. And let's remember — let's remember — Citizens United, one of the worst Supreme Court decisions in our country's history, was actually a case about a right-wing attack on me and my campaign. A right-wing organization took aim at me and ended up damaging our entire democracy. So, yes, you are not going to find anybody more committed to aggressive campaign finance reform than me."

Curbing the influence of money in politics hasn't been major theme of Clinton's campaign, for obvious reasons. Outside groups have raised $48.1 million to promote her candidacy, according to fund-raising data maintained by the Center for Responsive Politics.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/hillary-clinton-sounded-like-bernie-sanders-after-losing-new-hampshire-2016-2

If you can't beat him, be him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 12:45 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160210-christie-2016-telling-it-like-it-is_zpszgliloll.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
good
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:07 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Bernie's made less than $2,000 speaking fees, he donated it to charity.

I used to think it showed something wonderful about Mr. Sanders then someone educated me about it

there's a limit on what he can charge and keep while he's in office

__

lots of things to admire about Mr. Sanders and his campaign. This isn't it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Re: bobsal u1553115 (Post 6123331)
good

It is good. I'd be lying if I said Bernie's age didn't worry me. If the worst thing that happens in a primary victory for Hillary is that she moves left to more of Bernie's positions, its a good thing.

If Bernie doesn't get it, I am voting for Hillary.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:17 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/12715933_1093826800648182_5155634275172236490_o.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
That cap has to be for more than $2000 a year. Significantly more. This $2000 over many years.

Just did a quick search:

I can find no federal honorarium restrictions for elected officials (though there are some for Federal employees and officials).

There are state laws but they are liberal in what they allow for in the most part. Vermont, for example has no restrictions.

Here's a web site that deals with these regulations:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/ethics/50-state-chart-honorarium-restrictions.aspx

Honorarium Restrictions
Updated October 2015

The U.S. Office of Government Ethics defines "honorarium" as a payment of money or anything of value for a "series of appearances, speeches, or articles if the subject matter is directly related to the individual's official duties or the payment is made because of the individual's status with the Government." Most states characterize the issue is a similar way.

Twenty-eight states prohibit legislators from receiving an honorarium if it is given in connection to a legislator’s official duties as a public officer. Out of the 28 states that prohibit honorariums for official duties, 19 allow legislators to accept honorarium for services performed in relation to his or her private profession or occupation. Nineteen states that prohibit honorarium allow for reimbursement for travel, lodging and necessary expenses

Eleven states specifically allow honorariums in statute. Eleven other states do not address honorariums in statute, though a state’s conflict of interest law may apply. Colorado and Georgia are among the few states that allow honorariums up to a certain amount. States that allow honorarium typically stipulate that any payment received must not influence a legislator's official duties. At least 10 states that allow honorariums require that they be disclosed.

This table is intended to provide general information and does not necessarily address all aspects of this topic. Because the facts of each situation may vary, this information may need to be supplemented by consulting legal advisors.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:24 pm
@TheCobbler,
I'd vote for the big dog again, but I'd work harder to give him a working Congress so he wouldn't have to compromise so much.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
What type of crack are you smoking? Obama hasn't compromised on anything, remember he has a phone and a pen.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:38 pm
Caroline Kennedy backs Hillary Clinton for 2016
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-politics-clinton-kennedy-idUSBREA3N1MX20140424
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I found the pdf on several sites

here is a du discussion where someone's done the cut and paste

http://www.democraticunderground.com/12511165262#post8

Quote:

He can not accept outside sources of income under Senate rules http://www.ethics.senate.gov/downloads/pdffiles/overview.pdf

NO honoraria may be received by any Member, officer or
employee.
L An honorarium is a fee for any speech, appearance, or
article (including for a series of speeches,
appearances, or articles if the series is directly
related to an individual’s Senate duties or if payment
is made because of an individual’s Senate position).

Up to $2,000 per event may be paid directly by a sponsor to a
charity, so long as neither the individual nor his or her family
(parent, sibling, spouse, child or dependent relative) receives
any financial benefit from the charity (170(c) organization).
Payments in lieu of honoraria must be reported on Public
Financial Disclosure Report, and charities named in a
corresponding confidential report to the Ethics Committee.
A payment in lieu of honoraria made by a registered lobbyist or
lobbying firm or by a foreign agent to a 170(c) charity (not
controlled by a Member, officer, or employee) must be reported
by the Member, officer, or employee making the designation to
the Secretary of the Senate within 30 days after such
designation or recommendation.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

That cap has to be for more than $2000 a year.

the cap for sitting senators is $0

which is really only a big deal if you are a senator in high demand (I found one google book that covered some senators who had a loss of income resulting from declaration and donation of speaker fees - f'd their taxes up apparently)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I can find no federal honorarium restrictions for elected officials (though there are some for Federal employees and officials).

Quote:
5 U.S.C. app. 7
§
501(b); Senate Rule 36
Effective August 14, 1991, honoraria are banned for Members, officers, and employees of the Senate. Federal law defines an honorarium as a payment of money or any thing of value for an appearance, speech, or article (including a series of appearances, speeches, or articles if the subject matter is directly related to the individual’s official duties or the payment is made because of the individual’s status with the government) by a Member, officer or employee, excluding any actual and necessary travel expenses . . .’’
The ban on the acceptance of honoraria is absolute. It encompasses every single appearance, speech, or article, regardless of its subject matter or relation

http://www.ethics.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=f2eb14e3-1123-48eb-9334-8c4717102a6e
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 01:52 pm
I have read the tea leaves and I will tell you the future of America...

Hillary will take the White House.

The millennials will get over "the Bern".

Democrats will re-district the states to fairly represent the democratic voting electorate.

We will retake the house and senate.

The tea party will die a slow and agonizing death.

Religion will be clearly marginalized in America as the millennials will not fall for such nonsense.

The environment will be protected, the rich will be regulated, clean energy will replace fossil fuels.

America will have no need for walls.

We will gain the respect and envy of the world.

Racism will no longer exist other than in the sordid history of a time when republicans epitomized hate in America.

Grandma will be able to keep the money she paid all of her life into social security...

THIS is the American dream!!!!
woiyo

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 02:32 pm
@TheCobbler,
It did not say....

No one needs to work

All will be provided for you

Free food (no farmers since no one has to work)

Free Shelter (No builders/plumbers/electricians since no one has to work)

Free education (no teachers since no one has to work)

Free medical care (no doctors since no one has to work)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2016 03:18 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

I have read the tea leaves and I will tell you the future of America...

Hillary will take the White House.

The millennials will get over "the Bern".

Democrats will re-district the states to fairly represent the democratic voting electorate.

We will retake the house and senate.

The tea party will die a slow and agonizing death.

Religion will be clearly marginalized in America as the millennials will not fall for such nonsense.

The environment will be protected, the rich will be regulated, clean energy will replace fossil fuels.

America will have no need for walls.

We will gain the respect and envy of the world.

Racism will no longer exist other than in the sordid history of a time when republicans epitomized hate in America.

Grandma will be able to keep the money she paid all of her life into social security...

THIS is the American dream!!!!

Whew, Cobbler. 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.