Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 12:58 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
They can't buy them legally private.

I am highly skeptical that people in Switzerland are not legally allowed to buy ammo privately. Do you have a cite for this?

Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 01:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
In 2017, 1523 assault rifles and 990 rifles were delivered to discharged soldiers.

The original claim was about full-autos though. So it would only be the rifles that are held by people in active service that would count.

If someone keeps their service rifle after being discharged, it is converted to semi-auto-only.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 01:16 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
They can't buy them legally private.

I am highly skeptical that people in Switzerland are not legally allowed to buy ammo privately. Do you have a cite for this?
They are allowed (if they've got the resp. allowance), but I was referring to the ammunition for banned weapons.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 01:17 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
If someone keeps their service rifle after being discharged, it is converted to semi-auto-only.
No.
oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 04:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
No.

That's news to me. But if that is so, it means that there are even more full-autos in civilian hands in Switzerland than I thought.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
They are allowed (if they've got the resp. allowance), but I was referring to the ammunition for banned weapons.

Are the Swiss allowed to buy .223 hunting ammo and take it home? If so, that will work just fine in their full-auto rifles.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:13 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Public health is related to diseases.

Gun rights are not in conflict with public safety.

The disease is: fire arms cause thousands of deaths a year. It's second leading cause of death for those under 18.

Study finds car crashes, firearms are leading causes of death among US children

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2018/12/21/child-death

For the study, researchers sorted through CDC and World Health Organization data on 20,360 deaths of children and adolescents in the United States in 2016.

Download the cheat sheet on pediatric telehealth

The researchers found that motor vehicle crashes were the leading cause of child deaths in the United States, comprising about 20% of all deaths among children in 2016. The chief reason for the crashes was cell phone use by drivers and pedestrians, the researchers found.

Firearms were the second leading cause of deaths among children and adolescents in 2016, according to the researchers. Overall, there was a 28% relative increase in the rate of firearm deaths among U.S. children, likely driven by a 32% increase in firearm homicides and a 26% increase in firearm suicides, the researchers said. They found that the odds of a child being killed by a firearm are 36 times higher in the United States than in other high-income countries.

The researchers also noted that recently-released 2017 data show firearm-related deaths among U.S. children are continuing to rise. "One in three U.S. homes with youth under 18 years of age has a firearm, with 43% of homes reporting that the firearm is kept unlocked and loaded, which increases the risk of firearm injuries," the researchers wrote.

Cancer was the third-highest cause of child deaths among U.S. children in 2016, though the rate of such cancer deaths declined by 32% from 1990 to 2016. Similarly, the rate of drowning deaths among U.S. children declined by 46%, and the rate of deaths from home fires declined almost 73% over that time.

It is a public safety problem. Are you telling me you know of nowhere in Michigan you are afraid of walking at night for fear of being shot?

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/security-safety/crime-and-justice/firearms/firearm-deaths/

Firearm deaths

Firearm deaths include all deaths involving guns, such as homicide, suicide, and accidents. More people in the US die from suicide involving a firearm than homicides or accidents.

There were a total of 45,222 firearm deaths in the US in 2020, an increase of 14% or 5,155 firearm deaths from 2019.

You don't think 45,000 gun death is a public safety issue?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
violate lawful behavior

Interfere with others' lawful behavior. Infringe on other's civil rights.
oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 09:35 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If that's what he meant, then he was wrong. Some gun control is designed for the sole purpose of infringing people's rights.

Laws against pistol grips on semi-auto long guns is an example of this.
oralloy

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 09:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
The disease is: fire arms cause thousands of deaths a year. It's second leading cause of death for those under 18.

That's not what disease means. Disease means things like smallpox and polio.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
It is a public safety problem.

Responsible gun ownership isn't. Responsible gun owners do no harm to public safety.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Are you telling me you know of nowhere in Michigan you are afraid of walking at night for fear of being shot?

I stay well away from cities most of the time. There are places where I would be wary of being attacked by a bear. But I would be sure to be armed if I entered such a place.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
You don't think 45,000 gun death is a public safety issue?

Murders are caused by murderers. Guns are not a factor. The victims would be just as dead if they were murdered with a different kind of weapon.

As far as suicides go, I would like to see a system set up so that suicidal people could voluntarily and temporarily hand in their guns for safekeeping until they are no longer suicidal.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2022 10:16 pm
@oralloy,
Not that crap again. Your assertions about regulations regarding construction of products not being the parvenu of government is just plain wrong.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 08:11 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm not sure what violate lawful behavior means.

Here's a tragic example of a child engaged in lawful behavior having his rights violated:

Boy critically wounded in Prince George's, police say. Update: he died.
He was cutting grass.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/11/08/boy-shot-critically-prince-georges/

Boy critically wounded in Prince George’s, police say
A 13-year-old was shot in Hillcrest Heights, according to police
Image without a caption

By Martin Weil
Updated November 8, 2022 at 9:50 p.m. EST|Published November 8, 2022 at 8:17 p.m. EST

A 13-year-old boy was shot and critically wounded Tuesday in Prince George’s County, police said.

The boy was found outdoors in the 2100 block of Jameson Street in the Hillcrest Heights area.

He was found about 5:20 p.m. after a shooting was reported.

The boy was taken to a hospital and was reported about two hours later to be in critical condition.

It was not immediately known who shot him or why.

By Martin Weil
Martin Weil is a longtime reporter at The Washington Post.

13-year-old shot while raking leaves is on life support, feared brain dead
November 11, 2022

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 09:53 am
@oralloy,
Supreme Court rejects another bump stock ban case
Source: ABC News

The Supreme Court on Monday again declined to hear a lawsuit involving a Trump-era ban on bump stocks, the gun attachments that allow semi-automatic weapons to fire rapidly like machine guns.

The justices’ decision not to hear the case leaves in place a lower court decision that rejected bump stock owners' efforts to be compensated for bump stocks they lawfully purchased, but were required to to give up after the administration ruled they were illegal. Lower courts had said the case should be dismissed.

[snip]

Last month, the justices rejected two other challenges involving the ban. Gun rights advocates, however, scored a big win at the court earlier this year, when the justices by a 6-3 vote expanded gun-possession rights, weakening states’ ability to limit the carrying of guns in public.

The Trump administration’s ban on bump stocks took effect in 2019 and came about as a result of the 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas. The gunman there used assault-style rifles to fire into the crowd of 22,000 music fans.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/supreme-court-rejects-bump-stock-ban-case-93267130
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 10:12 am
Republicans Blindsided That People Who Vote Believe in Democracy

According to Party officials, Republican strategists have been flabbergasted by exit polls indicating that voters who had just cast their ballots wanted those votes to be counted.

“In the run-up to Election Day, we believed that our message about ignoring the will of the people would strongly appeal to people,” Harland Dorrinson, a prominent G.O.P. strategist, said. “What we found instead was that people who participated in democracy were inclined to favor democracy. It’s a humbling reminder of just how unpredictable politics can be.”

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/republicans-blindsided-that-people-who-vote-believe-in-democracy
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 04:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Not that crap again. Your assertions about regulations regarding construction of products not being the parvenu of government is just plain wrong.

What assertions are you talking about? This does not appear to be related to anything that I posted.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2022 06:22 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Supreme Court rejects another bump stock ban case

The day will come when we want the Supreme Court to connect the right to keep and bear arms to the militia and thereby rule that everyone in the nation has the right to have machine guns.

But for the time being it is best for the Supreme Court to focus on cracking down on lower courts that disregard the Heller ruling.

One step at a time in other words.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/10/federal-judge-strikes-down-most-of-new-yorks-concealed-carry-limits-citing-the-supreme-court.html
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2022 05:24 am

another election-denier bites the dust... Very Happy

https://iili.io/H9qOeyb.jpg

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2022 10:18 am
@Region Philbis,
Borowitz for the win. Again!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2022 05:44 pm