Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 03:27 am
Republican facing multiple convictions for human trafficking and fraud begins sentence
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/25/2011765/-Republican-facing-multiple-convictions-for-human-trafficking-and-fraud-begins-sentence

Comment:
What can you say but, Trump...

"QAnon are still running around looking for human traffickers at pizza shops."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 04:58 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
The problem is not clean oil or dirty oil it is oil itself.

It's not like we have better alternatives.

TheCobbler wrote:
And the problem with using rail to transport oil is that our rails still depend on fossil fuels to operate.

Don't blame me. I'm not the one who delayed construction of the pipeline.

TheCobbler wrote:
We depend on oil for transportation because republicans take bribes from oil companies and vote enmasse against environmentally friendly, cheaper, more efficient alternatives.

That is incorrect. We depend on oil for transportation because there are no environmentally friendly, cheaper, more efficient alternatives.

TheCobbler wrote:
Oil companies look only towards the short term profits instead of the long term damage to our environment.
They would damage a pristine Alaskan refuge for a few barrels of oil and do we need a pipeline for sludge from Alaska now too?

The Alaskan pipelines are already built.

TheCobbler wrote:
Misdirecting technology for profit so oil is used instead of cheaper, clean energy is criminal.

Nuclear power is clean. It's the environmental movement that prevents us from using it more.

TheCobbler wrote:
What are the ecological risks of a pipeline and extending the use of dirty fuels?
The risks far outweigh any possible benefits whatsoever.

It is likely that the pipeline is the least risky option.

TheCobbler wrote:
Especially when there are clean alternatives that can also employ Americans, though, republicans may not get rich off the, "misdirection".

Clean alternatives like nuclear power. But environmentalists always try to block it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
TheCobbler wrote:
Oil companies look only towards the short term profits instead of the long term damage to our environment.
They would damage a pristine Alaskan refuge for a few barrels of oil and do we need a pipeline for sludge from Alaska now too?

Really? I'd read that there was no infrastructure or pipeline to carry oil out of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
TheCobbler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:44 am
4 ways the U.S. can reassert leadership on climate change
https://www.gatesnotes.com/Energy/4-ways-the-US-can-reassert-leadership-on-climate-change
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:57 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Oralloy wrote:

The Cobbler wrote:

Really? I'd read that there was no infrastructure or pipeline to carry oil out of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Oh yea, the Alaskan pipeline is still polluting the Pacific, doing irreparable harm to the environment and the oil companies need our nation's largest aquifers also.

Oil has done trillions of dollars worth of damage to our environment that oil companies and republicans do not feel responsible for.

Who is going to pay for the damage left behind?!

Oil is still flowing into the water at the trans-Alaska pipeline terminal in Valdez
This happened in April of last year!
https://www.ktoo.org/2020/04/20/oil-is-still-flowing-into-the-water-at-the-trans-alaska-pipeline-terminal-in-valdez/
Why didn't we hear about it? I will give you one guess.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 06:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

That may be true. I don't know. But we don't pump much oil from ANWR so we don't really need a pipeline.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 10:16 am
For Trump’s Aggrieved Defenders, This Impeachment Confirms Everything[/b]]
Quote:
His supporters see his second impeachment, a historic first, as the culmination of years of unfair treatment. The belief’s ubiquity shows the resilience of his message and the power of conservative media.
[...]
For much of the American public and for the historical record, the second impeachment of former President Donald J. Trump represented a blistering censure from a coequal branch of government whose members’ lives had been imperiled days earlier by a mob of his supporters attacking the Capitol.

But many of his defenders saw the second impeachment, a first for an American president, as something else: the culmination of years of unfair treatment by a Washington establishment that was always hostile to Mr. Trump and is now trying to end his political career once and for all. Republican senators voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday against trying him for “incitement of insurrection,” in a strong sign that the Senate did not have the votes to convict him; the impeachment trial and conviction vote is set to come in February.

The rallying behind Mr. Trump serves as a powerful reminder of the lasting influence of the former president and his grievance-fueled politics, still inescapable in a country where a new leader has taken charge, a pandemic rages and reality blends with falsehoods and conspiracy theories.

Now, supporters of Mr. Trump whose blood boiled at the first impeachment are galvanized anew by the second, rising to his defense with the familiar refrains they have soaked up for years from conservative talking heads, from social media or from the president himself. Cries of a witch hunt and commands to “stop the steal.” Calling opponents “radical left Democrats” and the media “fake news.” Repeating the campaign slogan of “Keep America Great” as hundreds of thousands died of the coronavirus and the economy tanked.
[...]
For many people, their defense of the former president can be summed up as a feeling they have deep in their gut telling them Mr. Trump was never really given a fair shake.

Or, as Mr. Duty said, “It just doesn’t feel right to me.”

With the debate over impeachment bubbling in the background of a nascent Biden presidency, the country finds itself in the middle of a fight over whether to turn the page on division or bear down on a need for accountability.

Wrangling over the impeachment of the last president has dominated the first days of the new president’s term, which was ushered in by thousands of rifle-toting troops patrolling outside the Capitol, the White House, the downtown Dunkin’ Donuts and the 7-Eleven.

For some of Mr. Trump’s supporters, the fact that a mob coalesced behind him in such a shocking manner at the Capitol was a logical outcome of the past four years.
... ... ...
revelette3

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sickening, ain't it? I thought the impeachment would turn into a political story instead a rightful action taken against a lawless President. The republican party are now the same as the President and the treasonous rioters making war against the United States. What's worse is that 40% of Americans agree with them. Terrible era we are living in. I am not sure it is going to get better in my lifetime because of the stupid people who thought Trump would be a better bet than Hillary back in 16, setting up the judicial branch against the majority of the people of the US. Minority rules and will for a long time.
oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 05:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The New York Times wrote:
His supporters see his second impeachment, a historic first, as the culmination of years of unfair treatment. The belief's ubiquity shows the resilience of his message and the power of conservative media.

It shows the resilience and power of simply telling the truth.

For much of the American public and for the historical record, the second impeachment of former President Donald J. Trump represented a blistering censure from a coequal branch of government whose members' lives had been imperiled days earlier by a mob of his supporters attacking the Capitol.

Progressives like to pretend that they speak for the world when they spout their delusional nonsense.

They don't.

But many of his defenders saw the second impeachment, a first for an American president, as something else: the culmination of years of unfair treatment by a Washington establishment that was always hostile to Mr. Trump and is now trying to end his political career once and for all.

Now it's time to treat Joe Biden exactly the way Mr. Trump was treated.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 05:32 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Sickening, ain't it?

When you try to destroy innocent people with McCarthyist witch hunts, you should expect that people will oppose you.

revelette3 wrote:
I thought the impeachment would turn into a political story instead a rightful action taken against a lawless President.

It's always a safe bet that the people will view a progressive witch hunt as a progressive witch hunt.

revelette3 wrote:
The republican party are now the same as the President and the treasonous rioters making war against the United States.

Standing up to progressive bullying is not treason.

Peaceful protest isn't war.

revelette3 wrote:
What's worse is that 40% of Americans agree with them. Terrible era we are living in. I am not sure it is going to get better in my lifetime

Things will be better again once we get Mr. Trump back in the White House for his second term.

revelette3 wrote:
because of the stupid people who thought Trump would be a better bet than Hillary back in 16, setting up the judicial branch against the majority of the people of the US. Minority rules and will for a long time.

I'm not entirely sure that I understand what you mean, but if you are referring to judges who uphold the Constitution, progressives do not speak for anyone other than themselves when they demand to be allowed to violate the Constitution.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2021 11:27 pm
Trump can watch and learn (not sure if he can learn) what a "real" President and cabinet full of "authentic" professionals is like.
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:04 am
@TheCobbler,
Let's all watch Mr. Biden demonstrate what a weak and ineffective president looks like when the American people oppose and undermine him.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 12:22 am
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 08:21 am
Republicans Say It Is Unconstitutional to Hold Officials Accountable Unless They Are Hillary

“To see legal guardrails that James Madison explicitly designed for Hillary Clinton used on someone who is demonstrably not Hillary Clinton is a disgrace,” one senator said.

By Andy Borowitz
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 09:12 am

the R's are in total disarray... Very Happy

McCarthy tells GOP to stop attacking each other: 'Cut that crap out'
(cnn)
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 09:24 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
the R's are in total disarray... Very Happy

That is unlikely. They've already defeated Mr. Biden on his radical attempt to eliminate the filibuster. They are poised to block the rest of his illegitimate agenda as well.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 09:34 am
Henry "Enrique" Tarrio is head of the ultra-right militia "Proud Boys". Court documents show that the Trump supporter once spied for state authorities - he himself denies any cooperation.
Proud Boys leader was ‘prolific’ informer for law enforcement
Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys extremist group, has a past as an informer for federal and local law enforcement, repeatedly working undercover for investigators after he was arrested in 2012, according to a former prosecutor and a transcript of a 2014 federal court proceeding obtained by Reuters.

In the Miami hearing, a federal prosecutor, a Federal Bureau of Investigation agent and Tarrio’s own lawyer described his undercover work and said he had helped authorities prosecute more than a dozen people in various cases involving drugs, gambling and human smuggling.

Tarrio, in an interview with Reuters Tuesday, denied working undercover or cooperating in cases against others. “I don’t know any of this,” he said, when asked about the transcript. “I don’t recall any of this.”

Law-enforcement officials and the court transcript contradict Tarrio’s denial. In a statement to Reuters, the former federal prosecutor in Tarrio’s case, Vanessa Singh Johannes, confirmed that “he cooperated with local and federal law enforcement, to aid in the prosecution of those running other, separate criminal enterprises, ranging from running marijuana grow houses in Miami to operating pharmaceutical fraud schemes.”
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 09:38 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
They are poised to block the rest of his illegitimate agenda as well.
Well, the Republicans are indeed considering more than 100 bills to restrict voting rights:
• More than a third of the bills would place new restrictions on voting by mail
• Pennsylvania has 14 pending proposals for new voter restrictions, the most in the country. It’s followed by New Hampshire (11), Missouri (9), and Mississippi, New Jersey, and Texas (8)
• There are seven bills across four states that would limit opportunities for election day registration
• There are also 406 bills that would expand voting access pending across 35 states, including in New York (56), Texas (53), New Jersey (37), Mississippi (39), and Missouri (21)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 04:14 pm

Pelosi blasts GOP leadership's underreaction to Taylor Greene's remarks
(npr)
oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2021 04:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Representative Greene would make an excellent president in my opinion after Mr. Trump finishes his second term in 2029.
0 Replies