Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

livinglava

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:23 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

livinglava wrote:
You can get a better seat at a concert by watching it on TV and you can take a tour of any museum or city using streetview or some other virtual method. You can hear more of what people have to say by listening to their vlogs and Youtube videos than by going places and talking to people on the street or in cafes.

That seems a very lonely existence though. Part of "being there" is being there.

Presence is a state of mind. When you see something, the light is moving from where the object is to your eyes. You are not even seeing the light reaching your eyes, because you are locked way down deep inside your brain receiving the nerve signal that is translated from the light in your retinas before it went to the visual cortex of your brain for interpretation.

We are so used to being in our bodies that we forget they are like a virtual reality suit that we live in. We believe we are co-present with the things outside our body we are seeing because we've merged so completely with the interface that translates the signal into a form we can perceive.
neptuneblue

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:27 am
@livinglava,
So I take it your car broke down on the way to Woodstock....
livinglava

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:36 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Spoken by someone who has never travelled. No wonder you spend so much time on here.

You have no idea what somewhere is like until you go there and get a feel for the place. That’s certainly the case for everywhere I’ve visited, Tuscany, Prague, Paris, Amsterdam and Copenhagen to name but a few.

I can’t include London as I went there so much as a kid. I can’t remember not having been to London, but so many people say it’s not like anything they imagined.

A lot of Americans find it’s like New York.

I’ve never been to New York, unless you count the town in Tyne and Wear, so I couldn’t say.

Taking risks and surviving to tell the tale is a human tradition that is exhilarating because, implicitly, it's a competition for survival where the winners get to be idolized for at least a little while by themselves, if not by others.

Greta's sailboat trip across the Atlantic is a contemporary quest for the Holy Grail, i.e. a quest for sustainable transit that emits minimal carbon and otherwise doesn't contribute to resource/land waste.

It was interesting to see how Greta's sailboat chauffeur sat in the cockpit of the boat with a computer to map out wind and current patterns and plot a course and control the rudder/boom/etc. I think that what was supposed to take a week or two ultimately took almost a month because of unexpected circumstances, but either way it's doable.

It would be good if larger fleets of sailing vessels emerged so more people can sail places instead of flying. Between automation and remote-assistance, it should be possible for people without any sailing experience to cross oceans without personnel on board. It should also be possible for trains to carry passengers to certain sailing corridors, such as Newfoundland-Greenland or Greenland-Iceland-Ireland to minimize the distance sailed and thus speed up the trip.

Now that we're used to quarantining for weeks or more at a time, it shouldn't be that hard for people to imagine living in a sailboat at sea for 1-4 weeks crossing an ocean without burning any fuel.

The sustainability aspects of travel are more important and interesting to me at this point than just going places to have superficial conversations with strangers and taste someone else's recipes that they could just share online for me to cook at home.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:41 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Spoken by someone who has never travelled. No wonder you spend so much time on here.

You have no idea what somewhere is like until you go there and get a feel for the place. That’s certainly the case for everywhere I’ve visited, Tuscany, Prague, Paris, Amsterdam and Copenhagen to name but a few.

I can’t include London as I went there so much as a kid. I can’t remember not having been to London, but so many people say it’s not like anything they imagined.

A lot of Americans find it’s like New York.

I’ve never been to New York, unless you count the town in Tyne and Wear, so I couldn’t say.

Ahhh, London. My favorite city after New York City. My favorite place was the Tower...and I visited it EVERY time I was in town. I often mention that I probably spent more time in the Tower than Anne Boleyn.

Her time there was cut short, so to speak.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 11:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
I bet you chatted to a lot of beefeaters.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 11:57 am

want...

https://i.imgur.com/NSPDg2D.jpg
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 11:58 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Don’t be ridiculous.

You are the only one here being ridiculous.

Quote:
The fact that you react in such an extreme way to a very innocuous question suggests you’re one of those idiots who doesn’t even have a passport.

Talk about an extreme reaction, she generalized about a British accent and look at your response. It would seem you are the one who had an extreme reaction by trying to belittle her possible lack of international travel.

Quote:
Someone who’s too **** scared to venture outside the goodolyooessay despite all your bluster about guns.

See, goes on the person attack because she dared to imply that there was a general British accent, you have basically thrown a temper tantrum here.

Quote:
It would explain your ignorance on most subjects.

When you are on an immature role, you just can't help yourself. It must be really sad to be that upset about being labeled as having a British accent.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 12:24 pm
https://images.dailykos.com/images/811121/story_image/41F31BE3-FE4E-48DB-9948-C02314F9966B.jpeg?1590784695

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2020/5/29/1948617/-Taylor-Swift-Tweet-Reduces-Trump-to-Hot-Garbage-AND-Gets-Out-the-Vote?detail=emaildkre

As a fellow Kosack just pointed out to me, even with Putin’s lord-knows-how-many bots, Trump himself has never gotten more than 300K likes for a tweet, whereas Taylor’s, above, is already at almost a million likes.

Big kudos to Ms. Swift for bringing the truth and courage to criticize someone whom surely some of her fans support. Not only that, but she ends her tweet with an implicit encouragement to VOTE in November. Perfect!

We should embolden and encourage more American megastars (there aren’t that many of them) to tweet or otherwise broadcast their outrage against Trump and to get people to vote. It would do a world of good.

As Taylor said, we will vote Trump out in November.

(Her tweet is currently at 2 million likes.)
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 12:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
FRANK! WELCOME!

So nice to have you here chatting in this thread!
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 06:05 pm

https://i.imgur.com/4M5vL8N.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 06:52 pm
@Region Philbis,
One huge media lie. Like usual they ( media and progressives) are fanning the flames and projecting the blame.

The networks and anti Trump cable networks are insulting every citizen out there. This is not a racist nation. Minorities are treated better here than anywhere else. That is a fact. The media is going to push it too far and the people will let them know that in November.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 08:34 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
I had a parrot for a number of years who was almost as good at repeating the same nonsense phrases oker and over as you are.

No nonsense. He really is the only person here at the moment who suffers from a low IQ and an inability to think.

There is another dummy who posts here occasionally, but he's not here at the moment.
MontereyJack

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:38 pm
@oralloy,
coulda sworn the dummy just made your post.
goldberg

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:45 pm
@oralloy,
From The Economist

"FOR SEVERAL days, Americans have awakened to searing images. A police station in Minneapolis engulfed in flames. A police truck in New York driving into a sea of protesters. Scores of riot policemen, unidentifiable behind their helmets and face shields, storming down a residential street in Minneapolis, and firing paint rounds at people who did not run inside quickly enough. Joyce Beatty, an African-American congresswoman from Ohio, pepper-sprayed by police while trying to quell a confrontation. Police in multiple cities appeared to deliberately target journalists with rubber bullets and tear-gas canisters.

The proximate cause for the protests was the killing of George Floyd, who died on May 25th after Derek Chauvin, then an officer with the Minneapolis Police Department, pressed his knee into Mr Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes—almost three of them after police failed to detect Mr Floyd’s pulse. On May 29th Mr Chauvin was arrested and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. Mr Chauvin is expected to appear in court today. Protesters in Minneapolis had been clamouring for his arrest for three days, since mobile-phone footage of Mr Floyd’s death went viral. But his arrest did not quell the demonstrations that Mr Floyd’s death sparked. Over the weekend, they spread. America is now wracked by the most widespread, sustained unrest it has seen in more than 50 years.

Rallies that began peacefully during the day have turned violent at night. At least 75 cities across America have seen protests over the past several days. Governors in at least 11 states have called up the National Guard, and dozens of mayors declared curfews. These measures may calm things down, but they may not: protests following the death of Freddie Grey at the hands of police officers in Baltimore, and Michael Brown, killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, lasted for weeks—and those were not nearly as widespread.

That is in part because the current outcry is about more than just Mr Floyd. Protesters in Georgia commemorated Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old black man killed while jogging by two white men who chased him in a truck and shot him to death, claiming they believed, without evidence, that he was a burglar. It took weeks before local officials charged the father and son who chased and killed Mr Arbury.

In Louisville, Kentucky, protesters marched in memory of Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old African-American emergency-room technician whom police officers killed while executing a “no-knock” warrant at her apartment (police claim they identified themselves; the family disputes this). Crowds across America have chanted “Hands up, don’t shoot”, a slogan used to draw attention to the abnormally high number of police killings in America—1,099 people last year—particularly of African-Americans, who are three times more likely than white people to be killed by police.

Precisely who is responsible for the protests’ more destructive aspects remains unclear—but those aspects have been widespread, and risk undermining support for essential reforms to American policing. Vice News has reported that far-right groups have infiltrated demonstrations, intending to spark racial violence. Tim Walz, Minnesota’s governor, blamed white supremacists, and said he has seen “evidence of some pretty sophisticated attempts to cause problems”. Police across America have often appeared far more eager to escalate than de-escalate violent confrontations.

When racial unrest spread across American cities in 1967, then-president Lyndon Johnson formed a commission to investigate its causes. “We seek more than the uneasy calm of martial law,” he said, in a nationally televised speech. “We seek peace that is based on one man’s respect for another man...We seek a public order that is built on steady progress in meeting the needs of all of our people.”

America’s current president has made no such address. Although Donald Trump called Mr Floyd’s death “a grave tragedy” and has said that “healing not hatred, justice not chaos, are the mission at hand”, he has also suggested that looters should be shot without trial. “When the looting starts, the shooting starts,” he tweeted on May 29th, echoing a phrase used by Miami’s white police chief in 1967, who boasted, “We don’t mind being accused of police brutality.” He has warned of “vicious dogs, and most ominous weapons” being turned against protesters outside the White House, and of unleashing “the unlimited power of our military”.

Coming from Mr Trump—who has pardoned Edward Gallagher, a Navy SEAL convicted of posing with a corpse, whom fellow officers accused of shooting Iraqi civilians; as well as Joe Arpaio, a police sheriff convicted of contempt of court for failing to stop his department’s racial profiling—this rhetoric is unsurprising. And while one might imagine that a violent summer during a pandemic and a period of mass unemployment might dent a sitting president’s chances of re-election, widespread revulsion at civic unrest helped put Richard Nixon into the White House in 1968. Mr Trump no doubt hopes for the same effect this year."

The Economist has a point. There are signs that some crackpot supporters of the alt-right movement have joined such protests with a view to cozening people and trying to beguile them into believing that the Democratic Party is the mastermind behind this. Yet such right-wing imbeciles showed their true colours when they started attacking CNN's headquarters.

Who would do such things to CNN? Answer: Trump's supporters.
goldberg

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:56 pm
@oralloy,
You conservative racists will be execrated as traitors in American history . Trump and his mardy supporters are actually helping America's foes reinforce the image that America's democracy is also a sham, with the image of some black people being beaten up or some rotters hurling Molotov cocktail at police vehicles.

This is not America. This is another Iran or Iraq.
goldberg

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:59 pm
@TheCobbler,
Some black rappers are said to be Trump's fans, particularly Kanye West.
0 Replies

goldberg

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:14 pm
@oralloy,
You conservative racists are gormless sorts who lick Trump's boots with alacrity. It just blisses you out when Trump throws a bone at you, with your tail wagging like Trump's rolling eyes
goldberg

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:22 pm
@MontereyJack,
That gosling just lives in a world chock-a-block with assorted illusions; one of the illusions is he thinks he is the most ADMIRABLE columnist in American.

It would be churlish for me to wake him up, I suppose.
oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:26 pm
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:
From The Economist

Oh yea. You too. I forgot about you when I made my previous post.

It's a good move you quoting articles instead of attempting to think for yourself. Just try not to act like blatham and try to pretend that you are as smart as the people who write the articles. It's really silly when he does that.

goldberg wrote:
At least 75 cities across America have seen protests over the past several days. Governors in at least 11 states have called up the National Guard, and dozens of mayors declared curfews. These measures may calm things down, but they may not: protests following the death of Freddie Grey at the hands of police officers in Baltimore, and Michael Brown, killed by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri, lasted for weeks--and those were not nearly as widespread.

The National Guard has enough firepower to end these riots instantly. They just have to be willing to pull the trigger.

goldberg wrote:
Protesters in Georgia commemorated Ahmaud Arbery, a 25-year-old black man killed while jogging by two white men who chased him in a truck and shot him to death, claiming they believed, without evidence, that he was a burglar.

The jogger guy was shot because he was violently attacking someone.

People have the right to be safe and protect themselves.
oralloy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 10:28 pm
@goldberg,
goldberg wrote:
You conservative racists will be execrated as traitors in American history.

You look really goofy when you falsely accuse everyone of racism.