coldjoint

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 08:39 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
She has openly abused gays with hate and insult,

You talking about Joy Reid?
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 01:58 am
CDC recommending hospital staff use bananas when masks run out. Hospitals are asking the public to sew masks. Here is a physician responding:
Please don't tell me that in the richest country in the world in the 21st century, I'm supposed to work in a fictionalized Soviet-era disaster zone and fashion my own face mask out of cloth because other Americans hoard supplies for personal use and so-called leaders sit around in meetings hearing themselves talk. I ran to a bedside the other day to intubate a crashing, likely COVID, patient. Two respiratory therapists and two nurses were already at the bedside. That's 5 N95s masks, 5 gowns, 5 face shields and 10 gloves for one patient at one time. I saw probably 15-20 patients that shift, if we are going to start rationing supplies, what percentage should I wear precautions for?
Make no mistake, the CDC is loosening these guidelines because our country is not prepared. Loosening guidelines increases healthcare workers' risk but the decision is done to allow us to keep working, not to keep us safe. It is done for the public benefit - so I can continue to work no matter the personal cost to me or my family (and my healthcare family). Sending healthcare workers to the front line asking them to cover their face with a bandana is akin to sending a soldier to the front line in a t-shirt and flip flops.
I don't want talk. I don't want assurances. I want action. I want boxes of N95s piling up, donated from the people who hoarded them. I want non-clinical administrators in the hospital lining up in the ER asking if they can stock shelves to make sure that when I need to rush into a room, the drawer of PPE equipment I open isn't empty. I want them showing up in the ER asking "how can I help" instead of offering shallow "plans" conceived by someone who has spent far too long in an ivory tower and not long enough in the trenches. Maybe they should actually step foot in the trenches.
I want billion-dollar companies like 3M halting all production of any product that isn't PPE to focus on PPE manufacturing. I want a company like Amazon, with its logistics mastery (it can drop a package to your door less than 24 hours after ordering it), halting its 2-day delivery of 12 reams of toilet paper to whoever is willing to pay the most in order to help get the available PPE supply distributed fast and efficiently in a manner that gets the necessary materials to my brothers and sisters in arms who need them.
I want Proctor and Gamble, and the makers of other soaps and detergents, stepping up too. We need detergent to clean scrubs, hospital linens and gowns. We need disinfecting wipes to clean desk and computer surfaces. What about plastics manufacturers? Plastic gowns aren't some high-tech device, they are long shirts/smocks...made out of plastic. Get on it. Face shields are just clear plastic. Nitrile gloves? Yeah, they are pretty much just gloves...made from something that isn't apparently Latex. Let's go. Money talks in this country. Executive millionaires, why don't you spend a few bucks to buy back some of these masks from the hoarders, and drop them off at the nearest hospital.
I love biotechnology and research but we need to divert viral culture media for COVID testing and research. We need biotechnology manufacturing ready and able to ramp up if and when treatments or vaccines are developed. Our Botox supply isn't critical, but our antibiotic supply is. We need to be able to make more plastic ET tubes, not more silicon breast implants.
Let's see all that. Then we can all talk about how we played our part in this fight. Netflix and chill is not enough while my family, friends and colleagues are out there fighting. Our country won two world wars because the entire country mobilized. We out-produced and we out-manufactured while our soldiers out-fought the enemy. We need to do that again because make no mistake, we are at war, healthcare workers are your soldiers, and the war has just begun.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 02:10 am
@coldjoint,
Joy Reid has her own cross to bear and she sure is making up for it now, unlike you serial haters who believe God loves you for your hate.

Joy Reid has made her peace with gays and that is good and acceptable restitution.

Gays are not unforgiving when people go out of their way to make things right again.

The problem is that the right seems to never be right...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:08 am
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Fri 27 Mar, 2020 01:58 am
CDC recommending hospital staff use bananas when masks run out

I'm a bit unclear as to just what good a banana will do, as well as how you attach it. Is it okay to eat it when you get off work?
oralloy

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:26 am
@MontereyJack,
Very Happy Laughing

I think he meant to write bandanna.

Maybe he was tired or distracted. I switch around similar-sounding words like that all the time if I post when I'm really tired, or if I'm posting while distracted and paying attention to multiple things at once. Luckily I catch most of the errors in time to correct them, but I always know it's time for me to give up for the night and get some sleep when I start writing the wrong words.

Or maybe spell check decided to "help" him out.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 07:24 pm
10 Of Trump’s Most Damaging Coronavirus Lies
Amid a crisis that demands trustworthy leadership, the president has instead sowed chaos, confusion and misinformation.

President Donald Trump has a well-established reputation for lying, having told upwards of 16,240 falsehoods in his first three years in office. So it’s predictable that, when confronted with a coronavirus pandemic Trump spent weeks downplaying instead of preparing the country to face, the lies would flow.

Words have consequences, and the president’s torrent of prior falsehoods has doubtless caused damage. Much of it, however, is hard to quantify. Did his lies about Hurricane Maria aid to Puerto Rico affect how much his government actually sent to the island? Did his groundless claim that windmills cause cancer affect the renewable energy industry? Did his Sharpie-altered hurricane forecast cause Alabama residents to flee into danger?

But the damage Trump is causing with his coronavirus mistruths is more immediate. In some cases, Trump’s falsehoods are contributing to people’s deaths.

Below, 10 of Trump’s most damaging coronavirus false claims:

1. “Anybody that needs a test gets a test.”

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Just reported that the United States has done far more “testing” than any other nation, by far! In fact, over an eight day span, the United States now does more testing than what South Korea (which has been a very successful tester) does over an eight week span. Great job!

Trump has regularly and grossly overstated U.S. coronavirus testing capacity. “Anybody that needs a test gets a test,” Trump said on March 6. “We — they’re there. They have the tests. And the tests are beautiful. Anybody that needs a test gets a test.”

By March 8, two days later, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had conducted around 1,700 tests. The test shortage persists to this day.

Why is this a problem?

It’s impossible to know where the coronavirus has spread if we’re incapable of testing people who think they have symptoms. And if we don’t know where it’s spreading and how fast, we can’t mobilize scarce resources like ventilators and personal protective equipment in advance of major outbreaks. That’s how you end up with nurses using trash bags as PPE, and dying because of it.

A lack of test kits ― and pretending it’s not a problem ― puts everyone at risk.

2. “Within a couple of days [the number of positive cases is] going to be down to close to zero.”
As he pivoted from outright dismissal of a problem he said would “miraculously” go away and began acknowledging the coronavirus was something to deal with, Trump still downplayed the threat.

“When you have 15 [positive] people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero,” he said on Feb. 26. “That’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

Why is this a problem?

Conveying the truth about the pandemic’s threat may have emphasized the importance of early social distancing and stay-at-home orders that experts say are critical in slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

3. “This is their new hoax.”
At a Feb. 28 rally in South Carolina, Trump accused Democrats of politicizing his lackluster coronavirus response, which he proclaimed was “one of the great jobs.”

“This is their new hoax,” he said. “We have 15 [coronavirus-positive] people in this massive country and because of the fact that we went early, we went early, we could have had a lot more than that.”

Why is this a problem?

The same day the CDC urged the country take “aggressive measures” to “prevent widespread transmission of the virus,” the president undercut the message with a much larger megaphone.

Trump’s politicizing of the problem likely led to many of his supporters failing to see the virus as a serious public health issue, and choosing not to take steps to prevent the spread.

4. Repeated selective amnesia about having fired the experts whose job was to foresee exactly this situation.
Trump dismantled the National Security Council’s pandemic response unit in 2018, a subject he claims to know nothing about now that the U.S. is being buffeted by the coronavirus pandemic.

Asked about the decision by PBS reporter Yamiche Alcindor earlier this month, Trump said he didn’t “know anything about” it, called the question “nasty” and moved on. (For the record, he did know, and here’s video to prove it.)

It gets worse: in July, the Trump administration eliminated a Beijing-based American public health official whose role was to help detect disease outbreaks in China.

Why is this a problem?

The pandemic response unit certainly would have come in handy in responding to the coronavirus.

“It would be nice if the office was still there,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Congress.

Trump’s choice to dismantle that unit, and then to deny knowledge, shows he wasn’t expecting a pandemic and wasn’t prepared to take the necessary actions to deal with one, even though experts in Trump’s own government had conducted exercises showing a pandemic could cause death, disability and job loss that would harm the economy.

5. “Nobody could have ever seen something like this coming.”
On March 25, Trump framed the pandemic as a completely unexpected problem nobody could have prepared for. He’s done this many, many times.

Why is this a problem?

Many experts did see this coming.

“The problem is he’s using that kind of information to justify, in some way or explain, the incompetencies of what this administration has been doing, or not doing, in preparation for something that we knew was coming,” Dr. Irwin Redlener, director Of Columbia University’s National Center For Disaster Preparedness, told MSNBC on Thursday.

“The president did not cause this virus to develop,” he conceded. But Trump’s response to the pandemic, including claiming it was unforeseeable even as it ravaged Italy, is “leading the country in the wrong direction with misinformation that has been extremely destructive to our efforts to combat this calamity that we have on our doorstep.”

6. Comparing COVID-19 to the flu.
“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu,” Trump tweeted on Monday. “It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

Subscribe to the Politics email.
From Washington to the campaign trail, get the latest politics news.
[email protected]
Trump has repeatedly sought to diminish the severity of COVID-19 and deflect blame for his administration’s failures by comparing it to something we’re all familiar with.

Why is this a problem?

For starters, it’s false. According to Fauci, COVID-19 “is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu.”

Worse, Trump has begun using this false equivalence to advocate for sending Americans back to work long before experts believe that’s wise.

7. We’re “very close” to a vaccine.
The president has frequently overstated the speed of vaccine development, telling the public a remedy could be available in as little as “two months” and insisting it was “very close” in his first press conference on the matter.

Why is this a problem?

His March 2 statement was immediately corrected by Fauci: “Let me make sure you get the ... information,” he said, noting a vaccine could be ready “at the earliest [in] a year to a year-and-a-half, no matter how fast you go,” something Fauci emphasized he’d told the president prior to that press conference.

Once again, Trump ignored facts and put forth a rosier, and false, alternative that downplays the severity of the reality at hand, potentially prompting some to take actions that could spread the disease. Instead of offering reassuring clarity, the president muddled the message and caused confusion.

8. Hyping a speculative, untested drug as a coronavirus treatment.
At a news conference last week, Trump repeatedly touted an anti-malarial drug called chloroquine as a potential coronavirus treatment, going so far as to suggest the Food and Drug Administration had approved it for COVID-19.

“It’s shown very encouraging ― very, very encouraging early results. And we’re going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that’s where the FDA has been so great. They ― they’ve gone through the approval process; it’s been approved. And they did it ― they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So we’re going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states,” Trump said.

Why is this a problem?

The FDA hasn’t approved chloroquine for use against COVID-19, a point the agency was forced to clarify in a statement after Trump’s briefing. Experts said the drug can be fatal if misused and there’s no evidence beyond anecdotal stories that it works against COVID-19.

Nevertheless, Trump’s statement prompted hoarding of the drug around the world, including in the U.S., where unscrupulous doctors began fraudulently writing themselves prescriptions for it.

An Arizona man died and his wife was hospitalized in critical condition after the two heard Trump tout the supposedly game-changing drug on TV. They drank an aquarium cleaning product that contained the drug because they thought it would help them avoid contracting the disease.

9. “The cure can’t be worse than the problem.”
Trump has been rolling out variants of this line all week, using it to argue that the economic damage caused by COVID-19 is worse than the disease itself, and, therefore, we should cease social distancing and return to work by Easter.

Why is this a problem?

The economic devastation being caused with much of the country shut down by coronavirus restrictions is apparent ― nobody can argue with that. But ending social distancing efforts prematurely will stretch this crisis out longer, put far greater strain on our health care system (leading to more deaths), and make the coronavirus harder to control in the long run, potentially causing even more economic disruption.

10. Bonus accidental truth: “I don’t take any responsibility at all.”
At a March 13 press conference, Trump declared a national emergency and, when asked about repeated delays in producing and distributing coronavirus test kits, completely washed his hands of the mess.

“I don’t take responsibility at all,” he told reporters. While this isn’t exactly a lie, it warrants a mention nonetheless.

Why is this a problem?

He boasted that he had the foresight to “close up our country to China,” but Trump failed to take more drastic action that may have slowed the spread of coronavirus in the U.S., potentially saving thousands of lives. His slow response came despite warnings from experts and U.S. intelligence agencies, who warned him in February that coronavirus could be a global danger, according to The Washington Post.

Trump’s rosy assessment of the pandemic’s threat to the U.S. may have been colored by assurances from Chinese President Xi Jinping, who Trump repeatedly praised for handling the outbreak in China. Once Trump’s misjudgment became clear, he turned to another standby ― racism ― and began calling the coronavirus the “China virus.” This week, following a surge of hate crimes against Asian Americans, Trump said he might stop using the term.

The president’s “don’t take responsibility” comment was a sharp departure from the Trump of 2013, who tweeted: “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.”
RABEL222

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 09:19 pm
@TheCobbler,
While all this is true it was waste of your time. I can see almost all consertives turning to the wall and wailing no no no no.
TheCobbler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2020 11:02 pm
@RABEL222,
If it convinces even one conservative not to vote for Trump, it will be worth it. I don't consider the hardcore Trump idiots will ever see the stupidity of Trump...

The republicans finally get the mass American death graves they have been dreaming about and wishing for.

Thanks to the democrats, we still have Obamacare.

VOTE BLUE
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:03 am
‘Foolishness and Foolery’
Churches, Stores Reopen As Governor Overrides Mayors’ COVID-19 Orders
https://www.mississippifreepress.com/mississippi-governor-overrides-mayors-covid-19.html

Comment:
Republicans are doing their best to maximize the spread and deaths thereof associated with the Coronavirus pandemic.

Weakening science, obstructing safety and spreading false information...
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 12:13 am
Trump was informed about virulent nature and death rates of the Coronavirus back in January, you remember when he was fiddling to play golf so much that all else took a backseat?

Bush left the office with the US on the verge of a depression.

Likewise, but much worse... our economy and citizenry will not fare well when this president leaves office.

Obama (and Hillary) would not have let this happen...
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 02:50 am
@TheCobbler,
By my recollection, in January the President was busy defending himself from baseless impeachment charges. If you want to blame someone for the President being distracted in January, I'm afraid that the only people who are to blame are the Democrats.

The 2008 economic collapse was caused by deregulations signed into law by Bill Clinton. Mr. Bush worked to save the economy. He was hampered by the fact that the Democrats sabotaged his administration by refusing to confirm appointees.

Obama did in fact let a pandemic happen. When he took office, Mr. Obama gutted our homeland security pandemic response team, and then he was caught flat-footed when the swine flu pandemic swept across the nation.

What is it with progressives that they always have so much trouble with facts?
RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 01:13 pm
@oralloy,
Baseless? In my opinion the crooked prick got away with breaking the law because the republicans lack balls. Just one fact should have got him out of office when he asked the Russians to find Hillerys e mails in a speech recorded on television to say nothing of the dozen of instances acted illegally. Meeting with Russian diplomats secretly and giving them secret information would have gotten any u s citizen in the world shot as a traitor.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 02:43 pm
https://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/stg032420dAPR20200324034508.jpg
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 03:21 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Baseless? In my opinion the crooked prick got away with breaking the law because the republicans lack balls.

What right do progressives have to complain about alleged lawbreaking after they said that it was OK for Bill Clinton to commit all those felonies in the White House?

RABEL222 wrote:
Just one fact should have got him out of office when he asked the Russians to find Hillerys e mails in a speech recorded on television

There is nothing wrong with him saying that.

RABEL222 wrote:
to say nothing of the dozen of instances acted illegally.

Democrats have a history of falsely accusing innocent people of imaginary crimes (note Scooter Libby). There is no reason to trust any of the accusations against Mr. Trump.

RABEL222 wrote:
Meeting with Russian diplomats secretly and giving them secret information would have gotten any u s citizen in the world shot as a traitor.

No one in the Trump Administration did any such thing.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 03:40 pm
@coldjoint,
The stimulus package is laden with pork for special interests. Since the Repubs wrote most of it, they're responsible for the pork too, like their tax break for wealthy real estate developers. Gee, I wonder what highl placed real estate seveloper and his sons that could benefit? Or the big bucks going to Mitch McConnell's constituents in KY like his local sunscreen business supporter. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html https://www.salon.com/2020/03/27/mitch-mcconnell-sneaks-provision-to-boost-sunscreen-product-from-his-home-state-into-stimulus-bill_partner/

0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:40 pm
None of your BS makes you any less a liar.
oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 08:50 pm
@RABEL222,
The only person here who is lying is you. You cannot provide any examples of anything untrue in my posts.

Just because you don't like reality is no justification for you to go around attacking people for telling the truth.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:05 pm
@oralloy,
Patent nonsense repeated endlessly remains patent nonsense.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:14 pm
@MontereyJack,
You have to give him credit. He got a patent, that takes real commitment.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2020 10:39 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Patent nonsense repeated endlessly remains patent nonsense.

The only nonsense in this thread is your untrue claims that you always fail to back up.
0 Replies