" have the faith of a Breton peasant's wife"?

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 09:34 am
Does " have the faith of a Breton peasant's wife" mean "have the absolutely devout faith in God"?

Context:

Maurice Vallery-Radot, grandson of the brother of the son-in-law of Pasteur and outspoken Catholic, also holds that Pasteur fundamentally remained Catholic.[44] According to both Pasteur Vallery-Radot and Maurice Vallery-Radot, the following well-known quotation attributed to Pasteur is apocryphal:[45] "The more I know, the more nearly is my faith that of the Breton peasant. Could I but know all I would have the faith of a Breton peasant's wife".[2] According to Maurice Vallery-Radot,[46] the false quotation appeared for the first time shortly after the death of Pasteur.[47] However, despite his belief in God, it has been said that his views were that of a freethinker rather than a Catholic, a spiritual more than a religious man.[48][49][50] He was also against mixing science with religion.[51][52]

More:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Pasteur#cite_note-catholic_intro-2
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,440 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 10:41 am
Yes, devout and unthinking.
oristarA

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 11:09 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

Yes, devout and unthinking.

Cool.
But for Pasteur, when he finally knows all the knowledge about the Universe, would he be such an unthinking creature?
contrex

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:44 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
But for Pasteur, when he finally knows all the knowledge about the Universe, would he be such an unthinking creature?

I interpret his alleged remark as meaning that having finally acquired complete knowledge, he would no longer need to think enquiringly. I agree that it is unlikely that a person like Pasteur would cease to think.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 12:57 pm
@contrex,
The full chapter of the original source:
Catholic Encyclopedia (1913) wrote:
Pasteur's faith was as genuine as his science. In his panegyric of Littré, whose fauteuil he took, he said: "Happy the man who bears within him a divinity, an ideal of beauty and obeys it; an ideal of art, an ideal of science, an ideal of country, an ideal of the virtues of the Gospel". These words are graven above his tomb in the Institut Pasteur. In his address Pasteur said further "These are the living springs of great thoughts and great, actions. Everything grows clear in the reflections from the Infinite". Some of his letters to his children breathe profound simple piety. He declared "The more I know, the more nearly is my faith that of the Breton peasant. Could I but know all I would have the faith of a Breton peasant woman." What he could not above all understand is the failure of scientists to recognize the demonstration of the existence of the Creator that there is in the world around us. He died with his rosary in his hand, after listening to the Life of St. Vincent de Paul which he had asked to have read to him, because he thought that his work like that of St. Vincent would do much to save suffering children.
oristarA

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 05:46 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Catholic Encyclopedia (1913) ?
Where did you find this? On a paper book? Or online?
What does it say about Charles Darwin?
contrex

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 05:54 am
Here, let me Google that for you...

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Catholic_Encyclopedia_%281913%29
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2015 06:05 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Catholic Encyclopedia (1913) ?
Where did you find this?