Is Domestic violence always domestic violence?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:12 pm
There is a narrative that pervades modern American society. It says that men are perpetrators of violence and that woman are victims of violence. This is almost a sacred belief. People who dare question it are attacked (as several of us on Able2Know know too well).

Any rational, scientific person has to make a choice. You either accept the prevailing narrative without questioning it, or you ask the questions honestly and choose to accept what the facts say. Often the truth is somewhere in between, and the extremes aren't very good at making intelligent policy choices.

There are facts and scientific results that contradict parts of the prevailing narrative. What do you do about that?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:29 pm
This is an interesting study. They collected four sets of data (each further divided by severity)

1) Violence by women self reported
2) Violence by men self - reported.
3) Violence by women reported by partner
4) violence by men reported by partner.

They found the data to be consistent with one exception, men under-reported the severe acts. But the women still said their partners were violent toward them at the same rate that they were violence toward their partner.

http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED297030.pdf

A question for you EhBeth, you keep bringing up every reason to disbelieve the scientific data. Even though every criticism has a perfectly valid refutation.

How much evidence do you need to change your mind, EhBeth? At what point do you accept the scientific evidence and admit that your preconceived idea is probably wrong. Is it possible to change your opinion on this issue?

I am proud that my opinions are constantly evolving. In this case, the scientific results are pretty clear.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
@maxdancona,
These were different researchers criticizing the CTS.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/3096914?uid=3738232&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21103782929571

I just picked one of the critiques in this case. There are many more.

such as

http://www.xyonline.net/content/claims-about-husband-battering

Quote:
Methodological flaws

The Conflict Tactics Scale (CTS) has three key flaws as a way of measuring violence. Firstly, it leaves out important forms of violence, such as sexual assault, choking, suffocating, scratching, stalking, and marital murder. Most importantly, CTS studies exclude incidents of violence that occur after separation and divorce. Yet Australian data, e.g. from the Women's Safety Survey shows that women are as likely to experience violence by previous partners as by current partners [Australian Bureau of Statistics, 1996: 8]. And that it is the time around and after separation which is most dangerous for women. International data shows similar patterns. For example, the U.S. Department of Justice reports that 75.9 percent of spouse-on-spouse assaults occurred after separation or divorce, with a male perpetrator 93.3 percent of the time [U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Family Violence April 1984, p. 4].

Quote:
Conflicting evidence

To make the fifty/fifty claim about husband battering, men's rights and fathers' rights advocates must also ignore or dismiss a mountain of conflicting evidence, from crime victimisation surveys of the population, numerous studies using methodologies other than the Conflict Tactics Scale, calls made to domestic violence centres and services, hospital statistics on how people were injured, and applications for intervention orders.

This massive body of evidence continues to show that men are more often the perpetrators of domestic violence than are women, that women are more often the victims of domestic violence than are men, and that when boys and men are the victims of violence this is usually violence by other boys and men.

Anne Ferrante et.al's exploration of all sources of data on domestic violence in Australian finds the consistent result that females are 88-92 percent of victims in most sources [Ferrante et.al, 1996: 104].

Of all the forms of violence to which adult men are subject, only a very small proportion of this is represented by domestic violence. From police records, domestic violence accounted for 13.6 percent of all forms of violence against women, but only 1.3 percent of violence against men. While from victimisation surveys, one-third of violence against women was domestic, versus less than 1 percent of violence against men. (The reason for the lower percentage of domestic incidents among the police statistics is that women are less likely to report a domestic than a non-domestic incident [Ferrante et.al, 1996: 104]. Ferrante et.al define 'domestic violence' as referring only to criminal violence inflicted by one partner by another, which occurs between partners and ex-partners including those in boy/girlfriend relationships [ibid: 3].)

Crime victimisation surveys in Australia reveal further aspects of the violence experienced by men, and how it differs from violence experienced by women. If we compare men's and women's experiences of personal attack, threats, and sexual assault, we find that incidents against men are far less likely than incidents against women to occur in the home (10 percent versus 43 percent), they are far more likely to involve strangers (75 percent versus 31 percent), and they are far less likely to involve partners or ex-partners (1 percent, versus one-third of female incidents) [Ferrante et.al, 1996: 56-61]

Some people claim that men are less likely than women to report domestic violence, out of shame or chivalry or the fear that they won't be believed. However, the available evidence finds instead that men are more likely to call the police, more likely to press charges and less likely to drop them [Schwartz, 1987; Rouse et.al; 1988; Kincaid; 1982].

A further reason why studies using the CTS and similar methods are unlikely to capture the true character of domestic violence is to do with the samples of such studies. Headey et.al acknowledge that their chosen method, a survey, may under-report extreme violence, and that some victims of extreme violence are in refuges and so not available to surveys [Headey et.al, 1999: 57, 61]. And that perpetrators and victims of severe violence may be less willing to admit what is going on that people in milder situations [ibid: 61]

I don't agree with everything in this particular article article but I do agree with

Quote:
Male victims of domestic violence deserve the same recognition, sympathy, support and services as do female victims. And they do not need to be 50 percent of the victims to deserve these [Orman, 1998].

______

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41KR6mt%2Bv1L._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_SS100_.jpg
link to CTS review in google book under image
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:39 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There are facts and scientific results that contradict parts of the prevailing narrative. What do you do about that?

keep reading
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:41 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
How much evidence do you need to change your mind, EhBeth?

you want me to no longer believe that males can be victims of domestic abuse?

you don't want me to think men who are victims of domestic abuse should get sympathy and support?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:44 pm
@maxdancona,
It's an old article by Straus about his first generation CTS.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
If you do a google search for "criticism of the CTS", of course you are going to come up with criticism of the CTS. Did you read the latest article I posted that showed very good symmetry between self-reporting and partner-reporting?

Of course I agree with you that male victims of female perpetrators deserve the same respect, sympathy and services that female victims receive. And, of course I agree that the actual numbers are irrelevant to this point.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:46 pm
I want to say this EhBeth.

I appreciate being able to have an intelligent civil discussion with you even though we disagree. Thank you for challenging me.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 03:44 pm
@maxdancona,
I didn't google for criticism of cts. Straight CTS was fine - as did following your wikipedia link which led me to most of the articles I reviewed.

Yes, I read that article - it is old and one of the pieces that was later debunked.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 03:59 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Of course he is criticizing the CTS. The CTS didn't give him the results he wanted.

Let me see if I have this right. You haven't read the CTS. You haven't read the critiques of the CTS. Yet you somehow can claim that all those critiques are because the CTS didn't give the results they wanted.

I would suggest your criticizing is because you are not getting the 50/50 that you want. Clearly you haven't done the research as you yourself have admitted.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 04:07 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Did you read the latest article I posted that showed very good symmetry between self-reporting and partner-reporting?

Straus - 1988/1989

debunked in the 1990's/2000's/2010's
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 04:20 pm
Quote:
The results show that 15 per cent of women (or about one in seven) and six per cent of men (or one in 16)
have experienced severely abusive behaviour of a physical, sexual or emotional nature from a partner at
some time in their lives.

http://www.lenus.ie/hse/bitstream/10147/296804/1/DomesticAbuseReportNCC.pdf

There are also a number of interesting stats here with the studies named.

http://www.americanbar.org/groups/domestic_violence/resources/statistics.html
Quote:
Approximately 1.3 million women and 835,000 men are physically assaulted by an intimate partner annually in the United States.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 04:23 pm
The CDC report on domestic violence

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/summary_reports.html
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 04:42 pm
http://discoveryhouse.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/powerandcontrol.jpg

Basically any kind of dirty fighting is considered domestic violence.

I think "blaming" is my favorite
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:43 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Let's ask the question directly.

A person feels their intimate partner isn't listening. They get frustrated and they slap their partner in the face.

Is this always domestic violence?

It's an assault, and rude/violent. If a man, woman or grown clild slaps me, they better hope I don't get back up, or if I do, there are no baseball bats, golf club or cast iron skillet within my reach.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:46 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
It's an assault, and rude/violent. If a man, woman or grown clild slaps me, they better hope I don't get back up, or if I do, there are no baseball bats, golf club or cast iron skillet within my reach.

how many times 18 years old on have you thrown a drink, or anything else, at a guy in anger? I am pretty sure women are as rude and as violent as men are.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 08:55 am
@hawkeye10,
Men can usually defend themselves better though. My wife once slapped me out of anger, and I slapped her back the next half-second... Hard, too. She never did it again. Later she explained that she was surprised by the slap back, that it was not 'gentlemany'. Read: it does not conform to the classic gender roles...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 Feb, 2015 09:40 am
Seems to me that by definition "domestic violence" is always domestic violence.

Is the question actually: Is domestic violence ever justified?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 09:20 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

how many times 18 years old on have you thrown a drink, or anything else, at a guy in anger? I am pretty sure women are as rude and as violent as men are.

I've never thrown a drink at anyone, or laid a hand on anyone in anger, and I've never been involved with a man who has done those things either.

Not every adult expresses anger by displaying physical aggression. Some men can be physically violent, some women can be physically violent in inter-personal relationships, the majority of people, of either gender, aren't physically violent toward their intimate partners.

This is from the article Max alluded to in his OP--the one he didn't bother posting a link to (thanks, ehBeth, for posting the link)
Quote:
Child abuse was the single biggest determining factor for men and women becoming perpetrators or victims of either dating violence or stalking, Gover said. Even if one never personally experienced abuse, witnessing violence between one’s parents as a child increased the likelihood of stalking or being stalked as a young adult and it made girls more susceptible to becoming victims of dating violence when they grew up, she said.

The survey found that men and women who were abused as children were 43 percent more likely than their peers who were not mistreated to perpetrate physical violence and 51 percent more likely to be victims of physical violence in a dating relationship. Violent acts included kicking or slapping, pushing or shoving, punching or hitting with a hand or object, slamming someone against a wall and using force to make a partner have sex, she said.
http://news.ufl.edu/archive/2006/07/women-more-likely-to-be-perpetrators-of-abuse-as-well-as-victims.html

That does suggest that we can predispose our children to be more physically violent adults by the sort of behavior we model for them, or display toward them, during childhood. In addition, adults who have difficulty controlling their own aggressive impulses, are probably less likely to be able to effectively teach their children how to control theirs.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 11:33 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
There is a narrative that pervades modern American society. It says that men are perpetrators of violence and that woman are victims of violence. This is almost a sacred belief. People who dare question it are attacked (as several of us on Able2Know know too well).

Any rational, scientific person has to make a choice. You either accept the prevailing narrative without questioning it, or you ask the questions honestly and choose to accept what the facts say.

Who says there is any such prevailing narrative? This is another set-up on your part.

Closer to the truth is the well documented fact that women are more likely than their male partners to be subjected to physical battering, severe injury, and a consequently life-threatening domestic situation--and more likely than their ex-partners to be subjected to life-threatening violence if they try to leave the relationship.

That does not mean that men are exclusively the perpetrators of domestic violence and women exclusively the victims. But it does mean that in terms of physical battering, women are more often the victims, and the consequences to them, in terms of serious injuries, and severe intimidations and threats, are more extreme.

You are trying to promote the men's rights narrative of claiming that domestic violence is a gender-equal phenomenon. You've ignored considerable evidence to the contrary that has been posted in this thread--and that suggests you are not "a rational scientific person...who chooses "to accept what the facts say." Rather, you seem to be someone who is trying to sell his own politically motivated ideology, and who rejects evidence that does not comport with the narrative he is trying to sell.

Quote:
Men in fathers' rights groups and men's rights groups have been claiming very loudly for a while now that domestic violence is a gender-equal or gender-neutral phenomenon - that men and women assault each other at equal rates and with equal effects. They claim that an epidemic of husband-battering is being ignored if not silenced...

To make the fifty/fifty claim about husband battering, men's rights and fathers' rights advocates must also ignore or dismiss a mountain of conflicting evidence, from crime victimisation surveys of the population, numerous studies using methodologies other than the Conflict Tactics Scale, calls made to domestic violence centres and services, hospital statistics on how people were injured, and applications for intervention orders.

This massive body of evidence continues to show that men are more often the perpetrators of domestic violence than are women, that women are more often the victims of domestic violence than are men, and that when boys and men are the victims of violence this is usually violence by other boys and men...

Some victims of domestic violence certainly are men. Some of these male victims have been subject to violence by other men - by brothers, fathers and step-fathers, male friends and acquaintances, and gay male partners. And some have been assaulted by women.

Male victims of domestic violence deserve the same recognition, sympathy, support and services as do female victims. And they do not need to be 50 percent of the victims to deserve these [Orman, 1998].

There are also some important differences between men's and women's experiences of domestic violence. When men are subject to domestic violence by women, the violence is not as prolonged and nor is it as extreme, they are far less likely to be injured, they are less likely to fear for their own safety, they are less likely to be subject to violence by their ex-partners, and they are likely to have more financial and social independence...

http://www.xyonline.net/content/claims-about-husband-battering

Just as there are various forms, and degrees, of criminal sexual assault, most of which do not equate with violent brutal rapes, there are varying types of domestic partner abuse that do not equate with severe physical battery. In some forms of partner abuse there may be gender-equality among those who exhibit such abusive behaviors, but not all forms of partner abuse even rise to the level of criminal actions, or would necessarily require outside intervention--as would be the case with battery. I can't find any reliable evidence to support any notion that male partners are being physically battered by female partners, at a rate equivalent to that of female partners being battered by male partners, and consequently, a "rational scientific person", as you claim to be, should conclude that the risk factors for physical battery would be very different for those two groups.

Why you feel that a survey done by criminologists, such as the one your OP alludes to, would have any sort of politically motivated ideological agenda is unsupported by any convincing evidence or links on your part. You've made this sort of general unsupported accusation against university and government researchers in other threads, suggesting that their studies are rigged to get desired results to fit in with a politically motivated ideology. It seems you have no compunctions about accusing an extremely large and diverse group of researchers of highly unethical behaviors, such as rigging study outcomes, and negatively stereotyping them in that way, with nothing to back up what you are alleging. If you don't like inaccurate and "unfair" stereotyping of groups, don't engage in it yourself.

I would like to see all people in healthier relationships, free of any abuse by the partners of each other. I would like to see all criminal/physical battery by one partner of the other stopped, with all necessary supports and resources and assistance provided to the victims of such physical violence--regardless of the gender of that victim. We've made good strides in combatting such violence toward women, and we need to be sure we reach and help men living in physically violent domestic situations as well--even if those don't comprise 50% of the total number of cases.