Is Domestic violence always domestic violence?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:39 am
This thread is about an anti-domestic-violence advocate who justifies physical violence against an intimate partner because the victim deserved it. I don't think this is right.

The other issues are tangential.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:39 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
My point is that Mr. Kristof is using an emotional anecdote that doesn't add anything to the discussion.

actually he provides statistics through some of the links

but really, his column (on its own, without looking at the links) is no different than the study that was above the unreferenced and edited quote

opinion

_________

If anyone is following this, I suggest they consider watching the balance of the Kristof documentary on PBS on Monday night.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This thread is about an anti-domestic-violence advocate who justifies physical violence against an intimate partner because the victims deserved it.

then why didn't you provide a link to the original quote and information about the program the advocate is involved in?

_________

The thread set-up was obvious. Not too dissimilar from nonono and his sock puppet's thread.

As you noted, I spoiled your fun.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:43 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Do these "statistics" pass the "scientific sniff test", ehBeth?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 10:50 am
@maxdancona,
I believe that domestic violence is a real problem, and I support laws and programs to stop it.

These laws and programs should be fact based and fair. They should be designed to help people, rather than to push an ideological point of view. Too often, rather than a balanced discussion, we get name-calling and political invective. This doesn't help the problem.

I would love to have a discussion about the research and how to address the problem of domestic violence in an objective, fair way. To do this we need to be able to look at the research in a balanced way to consider rights and perspectives of everyone involved. You can't just throw away facts just because they don't match your pre-conceived beliefs.

The name-calling and political sloganeering doesn't help.

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:15 am
@maxdancona,
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/07/22/a-raised-hand

Quote:
the Justice Department estimates that three women and one man are killed by their partners every day.

I prefer raw numbers, especially when authors/sources point out possible gaps/sources of error.

Quote:
Between 2000 and 2006, thirty-two hundred American soldiers were killed; during that period, domestic homicide in the United States claimed ten thousand six hundred lives. This figure is likely an underestimate, as it was pulled from the F.B.I.’s Supplementary Homicide Reports, which gather data from local police departments, where homicide reporting is voluntary.

Dr. Campbell's research looks strong. She is referenced within links.

I pulled some articles based on her bio

http://www.dangerassessment.org/uploads/JCampbellshortbio_2011.pdf

http://tva.sagepub.com/content/6/2/141.abstract

I like this early one as it identifies gaps in data and recommends next steps.

http://tva.sagepub.com/content/7/1/3.abstract

Useful journal if you're interested in research in the area.

http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/by/year

not quite on topic but I generally prefer reports that identify gaps in the research and identify opportunities to fill in those gaps

http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/25/11/2010.short?rss=1&ssource=mfr
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:16 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
You can't just throw away facts just because they don't match your pre-conceived beliefs.

What are your pre-conceived beliefs in the area of domestic violence?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:19 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Do these "statistics" pass the "scientific sniff test", ehBeth?

some of them

most appear to be better than the study in the unreferenced source used in your OP

I'm not a fan of self-reports, particularly those that are not based on clearly set out definitions.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:19 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
What are your pre-conceived beliefs in the area of domestic violence?

I have changed my beliefs in reaction to the scientific data. My beliefs are still evolving.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:25 am
@ehBeth,
EhBeth,

There seems to be a pattern here. Any study that says that men are predominantly batterers and women are predominantly victims you accept. Any study that says that men and women are equal you reject.

Am I right about this? Or is there a balanced study that you accept?

There is quite a bit of research that supports the idea that men and woman are equal perpetrators of violence, although no one disputes that men are more likely to injure women. Wikipedia has a pretty good overview with links to primary sources (so you you don't have to trust Wikipedia directly) to real studies. This is a fairly well-studied topic in sociology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_violence_against_men

I don't think this matters to the original topic, assuming that you agree that at least a few times women are perpetrators of violence.

An anti-domestic violence advocate denying domestic violence happened because the victim deserved it is ironic.

Why can't we just say that domestic violence is wrong no matter who the perpetrator is?
parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:

The point is that sometimes a physical act, although technically violence, shouldn't be considered violence. This means that the statistics on domestic violence might be inflated.

That has to be one of the oddest conclusions I have ever seen. Violence is violence. Violence is not always domestic violence. Because some violence isn't domestic violence doesn't equate to domestic violence stats are inflated.

The first rule of statistics is don't make conclusions that have nothing to do with the data. You have broken that rule.
parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:30 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
An objective scientific viewpoint means you consider all of the evidence whether it supports your pre-existing beliefs or not. If you discard any result that doesn't match your narrative, then your view is no longer scientific or objective.

An objective scientific viewpoint means you don't accept surveys as anything more than evidence of those that answered the survey. Without a scientific sample process, you have no objective science.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:30 am
@parados,
Quote:
That has to be one of the oddest conclusions I have ever seen. Violence is violence. Violence is not always domestic violence. Because some violence isn't domestic violence doesn't equate to domestic violence stats are inflated.

The first rule of statistics is don't make conclusions that have nothing to do with the data. You have broken that rule.

I agree with you completely Parados. You missed my point.

This isn't my argument. This is the argument that Shelley Serdahely, executive director of Men Stopping Violence, is making. I was paraphrasing.

You and I completely agree that this is a bogus argument.
parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:31 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This thread is about an anti-domestic-violence advocate who justifies physical violence against an intimate partner because the victim deserved it. I don't think this is right.

Really? Where? When? It seems your conclusions are only getting more outlandish.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:33 am
@parados,
Quote:
An objective scientific viewpoint means you don't accept surveys as anything more than evidence of those that answered the survey. Without a scientific sample process, you have no objective science.

Ok, Parados. Do you apply that to both sides of the argument? There are quite a few studies on gender symmetry that have been done completely scientifically. People who believe that men are predominantly perpetrators and women victims aren't too happy with the results of these scientific studies.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:34 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Really? Where? When? It seems your conclusions are only getting more outlandish.

You seem to be lashing out before you have even read the thread. Here is the quote again. I agree with you that this conclusion is outlandish.

Quote:
Shelley Serdahely, executive director of Men Stopping Violence, in Decatur, Ga., questions the validity of studies showing women are more violent. “Women might be more likely to get frustrated because men are not taught how to be active listeners and women feel like they are not being heard,” she said. “Often women are more emotional because the relationship matters a lot to them, and while that may come out in a push or a shove or a grab, all of which are considered dating violence, it doesn’t have the effect of intimidating the man.”
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:34 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I want programs that help victims of domestic violence. But, I want them to be fact based rather than ideologically based. And, I want them to be fair.

what does the science say about programs that help victims of domestic violence - are they fair? how is fair defined in the research?

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:38 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
This isn't my argument. This is the argument that Shelley Serdahely, executive director of Men Stopping Violence, is making. I was paraphrasing.

That's funny because I don't see anything like that in her statement. I only see you taking a statement and trying to give it meaning that isn't there. You weren't paraphrasing at all. You were taking a single sentence out of context and trying to give it meaning out of context.

Your argument seems to be that giving someone a shove is the exact same type of violence as breaking their arms or beating them to death. No sane person would make that argument but you clearly are doing just that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:39 am
@maxdancona,
Provide studies and we can talk about them. Vague claims about some study is not something I need to discuss. It only shows you have even less data than a survey.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 11:39 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
. Any study that says that men are predominantly batterers and women are predominantly victims you accept. Any study that says that men and women are equal you reject.

where have I said that?

you're making assumptions again