New Season of "Six Feet Under" starts tonight!

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:55 am
kickycan wrote:
I think it's great. I loved the whole episode where David got kidnapped. That was really intense stuff. And I am starting to really get into Claire's story, which I always thought was pretty weak in past seasons. Except when she dated that criminal guy. Maybe I'm just hopefully anticipating lesbian scenes though. Smile

I'm guessing that is in the works, given the last episode I saw. I was just a bit disappointed that they have been hitting us over the head with it. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 09:56 am
The kidnapping episode was VERY disturbing.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:01 am
Cav, I agree. I loved the way they did it too, how they just kept on it through the whole thing without cutting to any other story lines for the duration. Good stuff.

I'm a little disappointed that they didn't show any hot lesbo action last week. Damn, that Mena is hot!

I have another minor problem with it. It seems like whereever David goes, there always seems to be a gay guy right there, ready to have casual sex. A little too convenient, in my opinion.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:05 am
It does seem that some of the subtelties of the earlier episodes are being glossed over, but the writing is still top notch. I'm sticking with it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 03:55 pm
Well, kickycan, it isn't much different in L.A. (Hollywood) I would imagine than NYC. If you've got good looks and are actively meeting people in your business or socially, you're going to run into a lot of casual sex in the gay scene. David certainly has a fairly good working gaydar and although not obviously gay seems to send out the right vibes to those he's encountered. I don't know that there haven been that many he's encountered that way. Unfortunately, David overplayed his luck with the hitchhiker who caught on that he was gay a bit too soon in my book. But, then, many young single men in Hollywood have developed a pretty accurate gaydar as well.

In that a usually unspecified amount of time passes between episodes (I've discerned it to be anywhere from a day to over a week), and sometimes even more time between one season and another, it's hard to nail down what is likely pretty average for sexual encounters for all the characters.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:22 pm
I really don't have much knowledge on the subject, and it was only a minor thing that I noticed anyway, so I'll buy that.

What about Rico and that stripper? That story line is getting pretty good now too. The acrimony and heartache is on it's way very soon, I think!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:03 pm
It's a thin line between "what were they thinking" and "what was I thinking!" Rico may be acting out that he's no longer in love with his wife and that's not hard to believe in real life. Some do it to bolster they're pride ("look, I still have it") but most likely sleep with someone outside of their marriage because they're dissatisfied with the marriage. The business he's in requires empathy and compassion and that's also can be his motivation for continuing the relationship. I like the series because it explores the complexities of the state of being human. It gets a little close to home often because of its focus on dysfunction of character and quirks of personality. Every single person in the series is extremely interesting, even the tertiary characters. The kidnapper/mugger was a study in sociopathic behaviour (now really classified as psychopathic -- the mental health practioners have edged toward stating that sociopaths are not sane).

I'm thinking if the perpetrator of David's agony doesn't show up in this season, he will show up next season for closure. "American Beauty" proved that Alan Ball doesn't leave loose ends hanging there.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:36 am
But David was ready to hop into bed with another strange man last week, until his traumatic memories stopped him. I think he is being rather reckless, all things considered, and, because his fears are catching up to him, he's now pressuring Keith for monogamy in their relationship. Keith, on the other hand, has become more open about his homosexuality with his co-worker. It seems that Keith is moving in the direction of feeling more comfortable with himself, while David is trying to find some excitement in risky sexual encounters, perhaps because he fears true commitment to Keith.

I keep feeling that the situation with Rico is going to turn into a "Fatal Attraction" type of thing, and who knows what he might do to get rid of that woman?

Perhaps David's abductor will turn up as a corpse in his funeral home.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 11:58 am
firefly wrote:
Perhaps David's abductor will turn up as a corpse in his funeral home.

Talk about closure??
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:45 am
firefly should be on the writing staff for SFU. Last night's episode the abductor emerged as another daydream in church. David is emotionally polarized on his abductor and is not satisfied with his relationship with Keith who now has his own problems, last night being easily seduced by his employer with an unfortunate outcome.

Looks like there are two other marriages on the rocks and maybe one brewing?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:31 pm
Definitely a bad week for relationships, George not only pruned the tree but in effect pruned his marriage back quite a bit.

Rico got played, duh.

Claire and Edie, over as far as being lovers.

The Brenda-Nate-Joe devil's triangle debacle.

Keith cheated with a woman!

David cheated and lost his mind.

So much going on the show is on the edge of being a daytime soap opera.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
I didn't really like this episode very much. It seemed like a lot of things were going on, but they didn't go into any of them in much depth at all. I'd call it a set-up episode. Everything was a set-up for deeper pain, suffering, and soul-searching to come. Hopefully, at least.

Although I did enjoy David's little daydream about blowing his attacker's head off in church. Twisted fun stuff.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:01 pm
Rico's wife Vanessa and her sister are some weak-ass dames. Who's responsible for that scene? The two of them could not take that tramp down?! I thought , when sister vaselined her face and took off her earrings, that we were going to see a real, true stumpdown.
Very disappointing scene.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:41 am
I thought it demonstrated how wimpy Vanessa and her sister really are and the "tramp" showed she had a lot more experience in street fighting. It was an episode of ill gotten gains once again demonstrating how tenuous relationships can be. I don't watch soap operas but the few times I've checked in I wasn't convinced the characters are real. Even if what appears to be pushing out the envelope in plotlines with SFU, the characters are as real as any person I've known in the past.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
Six Feet Under makes me feel so well adjusted.....

The Hoochie Mama did back the two wannabes down effectively......I loved it when she told her that Rico bought her tits..........maybe they can become friends, tie Rico to a casket and urinate on him, then do a three way lesbo scene while Claire photographs it....maybe Georges son can set a box of **** on fire on Hoochie Mamas front porch while David and the hijacker hit the pipe and watch the show.....then Brendas mom can come in and do them all with a strap on........

This show kills me....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:14 am
Lightwizard wrote:
...the characters are as real as any person I've known in the past.

You're right, of course. An acquaintance of mine, many years ago, was in this same type of situation and wimped out when face-to-face with the other woman. Never laid a hand on her. Just talked alot of ****. Oh well.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:29 am
This is the only show on TV right now that I actually make an effort to watch.....

And, I will agree.... this wasn't a great episode....

I came away feeling that the writers had slapped a script together.... tried to include the required sex, drugs, and violence..... and threw it at the actors with a casual 'good luck'.....

I actually said out loud, "that was a wasted hour", after watching that episode....

Perhaps the idea of "driving to your own funeral" was somehow an indication of how the episode was to progress....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:39 am
Hey, PaL -

I disagree entirely -- but, then, I watch the show mainly for the comic value, and there were lots of great laugh lines in there. In the typical three act sequence -- put characters up a tree, throw rocks at them, get them down -- I like act II (throw rocks at them) the best.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 03:57 pm
Hey patiodog.... good to see you....

I'll watch this Sunday's episode with 'comic value' in mind....

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 04:01 pm
It prolly won't be funny then. Wink

Really, I think the best thing about the show is it's flexibility -- it can be everything from sex farce to dark comedy to tragedy. The writing does seem a bit out of focus this season, though, like they can't figure out where the plot is going or who the characters really are. (I suppose this makes it more life like, but most moments of any life is pretty uninteresting.)
0 Replies