Does " the hit NBC show" mean " the successful NBC show"?

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:18 am

Context:

The Massachusetts-born comedian — best known for her role as Leslie Knope, the plucky Midwest parks director on the hit NBC show “Parks and Recreation” — was honored Thursday as Hasty Pudding’s 2015 Woman of the Year. The celebration kicked off with the star’s hosts ushering her motorcade down Massachusetts Avenue amid a mob of fans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 388 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:26 am
@oristarA,
Yes.
0 Replies

layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:00 pm
@oristarA,
It often is used to mean "popular." Obviously a show that is popular would also be "successful," but "hit" is often used to mean "highly successful."

Probably not the way it started out. When you produce something which is designed to entertain people, you have a "target" in mind. You either "hit" or "miss" that target.

A hit is success, but magnitude of that success would in part depend on how high (or low) of a target you aimed at to begin with. But, to me, calling something a "hit" implies more than just average success. You can hit the target without hitting the "bullseye."

1. "the successful NBC show" may mean little more than that it hasn't yet been cancelled.

2. The "hit NBC show" suggests success which exceeds the norm by a significant degree. To me, at least.

Long answer to a short question.

The short answer has already been given, i.e., "yes."
oristarA

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:28 pm
@layman,
Excellent.
The ribbon has been transferred to your answer.
0 Replies