Why in the world would Einstein suggest....

izzythepush

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 12:29 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

just look at those idiot's!!!

That says it all.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 12:40 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
Does my proposed hypothetical address the question...

If no trouble, Ora, you might send a link to the posting that best describes it

It's beginning to become trouble. It grows tiresome asking you questions over and over and over again and never getting an answer.

If you choose to provide the clarifications that I ask for, then I will resolve the issue that is puzzling you.

If you choose to not provide any clarifications, then I'm going to go play World of Warcraft.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:28 pm
@parados,
From your link, Parados:

Quote:
Resolution

The reasoning from A's frame is correct: twin B is younger. The simplest way to explain this is to say that in order for twin B to leave the earth and travel to a distance star she must accelerate to speed v . Then when she reaches the star she must slow down and eventually turn around and accelerate in the other direction. Finally, when B reaches the earth again she must decelerate from v to land once more on the earth. v

Exactly. A is correct (and B is therefore wrong to the extent SR requires him to think otherwise). This is because B is the one moving. It is the moving clock which runs slow.

Quote:
Since B's route involves acceleration, her frame cannot be considered an inertial reference frame and thus none of the reasoning applied above (such as time dilation) can be applied.

1. The gps has shown that time dilation applies equally to both inertial and accelerating objects, so, in fact, "time dilation" does apply.
2. SR does not "apply" because SR fails to make accurate predictions when acceleration is involved. It does not "resolve" anything to simply concede that SR fails. An AST handles deals with accelerating objects just fine. SR doesn't. Just another reason to jettison SR in favor of an AST.
3. Furthermore, SR DOES apply during all inertial aspects of the trip (which is the overwhelming majority of the time). The "paradox" arises for precisely this reason, i.e., that SR DOES apply to inertial motion.

Quote:
To deal with the situation in B's frame we must enter into a much more complicated analysis involving accelerating frames of reference; this is the subject of General Relativity.

This is NOT accurate from what other experts say. Virtually all mathematicians will tell you that SR can be (mathematically) applied to accelerating objects and that GR is NOT necessary to calculate time dilation for accelerating objects for SR). It may be easier, in GR, but the theory we're talking about here is SR, not GR.
parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:36 pm
@layman,
B is the one that changes states. Both are moving. The inertial state where they end up is what determines which one was running slow.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:41 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Both are moving

Yes, of course. We are only talking about the relative motion between them. The rest is irrelevant.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:41 pm
@layman,
Quote:

1. The gps has shown that time dilation applies equally to both inertial and accelerating objects, so, in fact, "time dilation" does apply.

If you have A/B moving toward each other both would see the other's clock as running slower. Both would be correct because they are in different states.

Quote:
This is NOT accurate from what other experts say. Virtually all mathematicians will tell you that SR can be (mathematically) applied to accelerating objects and that GR is NOT necessary to calculate time dilation for accelerating objects for SR).
So let's see your math.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:43 pm
@parados,
Quote:
inertial state where they end up is what determines which one was running slow.

SR explicitly says that the (relatively) moving clock runs slow, and that it is in fact the difference in speed which governs that. Are YOU claiming otherwise?
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:46 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If you have A/B moving toward each other both would see the other's clock as running slower. Both would be correct because they are in different states.

What are the "different states?' Are you saying one is accelerating? If so I have already quoted (at some length) a respected physicist who claims the opposite. He says the accelerating clock will see his OWN clock (not the other guy's) as running slow.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:49 pm
@parados,
Quote:
So let's see your math.

One of MANY such presenations on the web, if you care to google it:

Quote:
It's a common misconception that special relativity cannot handle accelerating objects or accelerating reference frames. Sometimes it's claimed that general relativity is required for these situations, the reason being given that special relativity only applies to inertial frames. This is not true.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/acceleration.html
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:49 pm
@layman,
Not at all. I am only pointing out that BOTH clocks are relatively moving. It is only the inertial state of the observer that shows which one is moving slow. Two observers in different states will see different things that would appear to contradict the other state. It isn't a paradox at all.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:54 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Not at all. I am only pointing out that BOTH clocks are relatively moving. It is only the inertial state of the observer that shows which one is moving slow. Two observers in different states will see different things that would appear to contradict the other state. It isn't a paradox at all.

Can you elaborate? It's really unclear to me what you are trying to say here.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:57 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Can you elaborate? It's really unclear to me what you are trying to say here.

Don't even bother it is of no use.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:01 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It's beginning to become trouble. It grows tiresome asking you questions over and over and over again and never getting an answer
I apologize most profusely, Ora. I though I had responded but apparently not. Can you provide a link to the crucial q's
0 Replies

layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:03 pm
@parados,
By the way, the site I just cited you to also says this:

Quote:
Note that the speed of light is rarely a constant in non-inertial frames, and this has been known to cause confusion.

Again: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/acceleration.html

This claim is not a matter of any controversy among physicists.

And it shows that SR simply fails in accelerating frames, not that it can't be applied. The speed of light is NOT constant in non-inertial frames.

By way of contrast, an AST explicitly (and accurately) predicts this non-constancy of light speed. It DOES "apply" (i.e., it does work) in non-inertial frames.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:06 pm
@parados,
Quote:
How do you propose that B is able to circumnavigate the universe without changing direction which would require an acceleration and thus bring GR into play?
Really a good q. But I had understood that B doesn't change direction, to him it's a straight path all the way, no acceleration at all

Sure I could be wrong, it has happened a couple of times
parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:17 pm
@layman,
A and B are moving toward each other so are in different inertial states. Neither is accelerating. Both would see the other clock as moving slower. Both would be correct.
parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:23 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Note that the speed of light is rarely a constant in non-inertial frames, and this has been known to cause confusion.

Quote:

The Speed of Light as Measured by Non-Inertial Observers

light speeds up as it ascends from floor to ceiling, and it slows down as it descends from ceiling to floor; it's not like a ball that slows on the way up and goes faster on the way down. Light travels faster near the ceiling than near the floor. But where you are, you always measure it to travel at c; no matter where you place yourself, the mechanism that runs the clock you're using to measure the light's speed will speed up or slow down precisely in step with what the light is doing. If you're fixed to the ceiling, you measure light that is right next to you to travel at c. And if you're fixed to the floor, you measure light that is right next to you to travel at c. But if you are on the floor, you maintain that light travels faster than c near the ceiling. And if you're on the ceiling, you maintain that light travels slower than c near the floor.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html
When accelerating, the time at the ceiling will move at a different rate than the time at the floor, all part of the non inertial state.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Really a good q. But I had understood that B doesn't change direction, to him it's a straight path all the way, no acceleration at all

Dale, you might want to look at the exchanges Parados and I are having here, also. A "change in direction" does NOT bring GR into play.

Dale, Einstein himself said that the geometrical interpretation does NOT provide any correspondence to, or explanation of, the physical world. It is a strictly mathematical proposition, with no necessary connection to physics, at all:

Quote:
"In a lecture that Einstein gave to the Prussian Academy of Sciences, in 1921, he said the following:

"Geometry predicates nothing about relations of real things, but only geometry together with the purport of physical laws can do so... The idea of the measuring rod and the idea of the clock coordinated with it in the theory of relativity do not find their exact correspondence in the real world."

http://worknotes.com/Physics/SpecialRelativity/TwinParadox/htmlpage2.aspx

You keep asking how the "turn-around" can make any difference at all in explaining why one clock slows down and another doesn't.

The answer is simple: It doesn't. That is, it explains nothing about the physical world, and most people (including Einstein) have enough sense not to claim otherwise.

You have apparently been listening to people who erroneously think otherwise.
layman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:33 pm
@parados,
Quote:
When accelerating, the time at the ceiling will move at a different rate than the time at the floor, all part of the non inertial state.

I think you misunderstand the point. The only reason
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:38 pm
@layman,
Actually, the turn around does play a part.

http://www.sparknotes.com/physics/specialrelativity/applications/section2.rhtml

The Minkowski diagram would show how it plays that part.