Why in the world would Einstein suggest....

contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:06 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
What does 'westward' mean in this context?
With respect Con to the imaginary stationary ref. However I should add that the observation is made August 4 2026 at 3 pm, in Chicago

But the direction "west" only applies on the Earth's surface. I know that maps are usually flat, and that if you draw a straight line from anywhere on a (conventionally laid out) map in a westerly direction, you will be going to the left, and eventually your pencil will get to the edge of the map, but in the real world, the Earth is a sphere, and if you keep going west, (or in any other direction) you will eventually get back to where you started, and in so doing will have gone in a nearly circular ellipse (the Earth not being a perfect sphere).
contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
the imaginary stationary ref.

What imaginary stationary re(erence)? The concept does not mean anything.
contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:09 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

"Explain that. Layman?? (Contrex)

You're making my point for me, aren't you, Contrex? I don't understand what you think needs to be explained.

Everybody knows that trains move from one place to another, and that trains do not remain stationary and their destinations do not come to them.
contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:11 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
the imaginary stationary ref.

That reminds me of the man who goes into a shop, and asks the young lady behind the counter, "Do you keep stationery?" She replies, "Yes, until just before the end, and then I go wild!"
layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:15 pm
@layman,
See what I'm getting at, Contrex?

A train moving at a uniform speed is NOT is inertial motion (as both Al and Newton defined it).

It is not an object which has "no external forces acting upon it."

It takes a continuous input of energy for the train to maintain it's uniform speed.

The laws of physics easily reveal that it is the train moving relative to the earth, rather than vice versa, right?
contrex

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:17 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Go figure, eh?

"Go figure", the eternal cry of the dumbass. Layman, this forum is plagued with bozos who want to start arguments about relativity being crap.They are a dime a dozen. Some are attention or argument trolls who don't actually believe one bit of what they post, some have mental health and/or comprehension problems. Some of them piss enough people off they have to get new usernames and come back to start all over again. I suspect you are one of these.
layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:17 pm
@contrex,
" Everybody knows that trains move from one place to another, and that trains do not remain stationary and their destinations do not come to them"

Sorry, I didn't see this comment before making my last post. Yeah, you're right, everybody knows it (except Al, apparently).
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:20 pm
@contrex,
I suspect that this forum may also be plagued with the "dime a dozen" robots who insist that SRT is flawless and has been "experimentally proven" because that's what they've been told.

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:21 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
But the direction "west" only applies on the Earth's surface
Yes Con, I know, and that's exactly why I specified August 4 2026 at 3 pm, in Chicago, the moment Earth is traveling at 60 mph westward (toward your left, Chicago dead ahead) in the direction of the stationary ref

Quote:
...the Earth not being a perfect sphere
Yes, no, Con, of course. Imagine at that instant a straight line passing through Chicago at right angles to your view, roughly parallel to the equator, the planet of course moving along this line to your left but remaining at constant altitude regardless of its rotation

Of course I'm assuming the conventional northern-hemisphere view with NY to your right where art this particular time our line's at a much higher altitude
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:25 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Some of them piss enough people off they have to get new usernames and come back to start all over again. I suspect you are one of these.

(Finally saw it, Dale).

So, Contrex, you're saying I'm pissing you off? Why would that be?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:32 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
What imaginary stationary re(erence)? The concept does not mean anything
Yes, Con, no, I realize there's not supposed to be such a point. I imagine however that we might construct one where the average relative speed of everything is minimized. It's w/res to this point at that mom, when we're goin' 60 westerly

I haft admit such a determination might be a little tough to acquire
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:33 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
….and then I go wild!
Con once again you've made my entire day
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:33 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
layman wrote:

Go figure, eh?

"Go figure", the eternal cry of the dumbass.

Contrex, are you now actually suggesting that it IS meaningless to say that one object is moving with respect to the other (rather than vice versa)?

If so, this seems to contradict what you've already said about whether or not a train is actually moving with respect to the earth's surface.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:36 pm
@layman,
Quote:
It takes a continuous input of energy for the train to maintain it's uniform speed
Lay that's on account of friction with rail and air. Remove both and the train takes off following that line through Chi that I've been describing to Con, at a perfectly constant rate
layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:37 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
and then I go wild!"

By the way, I agree with Dale, Contrex. That was funny.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:39 pm
@layman,
Quote:
where "open bbcode editor" is located
Right above the box. It's light blue or green, maybe not too easy to see depending on how you adjust your brightness etc

Edited to remark, on my screen at least, it's gren
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:41 pm
@dalehileman,
Lay that's on account of friction with rail and air. Remove both and the train takes off following that line through Chi that I've been describing to Con, at a perfectly constant rate

No, not really, Dale. If you removed the friction AND added a continuous input of energy, then the train would not be in an inertial state. It would be accdelerating, right?
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:42 pm
@layman,
Quote:
(Finally saw it, Dale)
Sorry Lay but you saw what
dalehileman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:44 pm
@layman,
Quote:
It would be accdelerating, right?
Yes of course Lay, it would, and forgive me, but so what
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 03:50 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
I imagine however that we might construct one where the average relative speed of everything is minimized. It's w/res to this point at that mom, when we're goin' 60 westerly

I have trouble agreeing with your claim, Dale. If we arbitrarily chose a "stationery object" (such as the CMBR), then if the earth was moving "west" at 60 mph relative to the CMBR, a train moving at 60 mph westward on the earth would be moving 120 mph westward with respect to the CMBR, wouldn't it?