Snowmaggedon 2015!!!

neologist

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:46 pm
Record high temps in Seattle.
I worked up a sweat just bringing in the beer.
Whew!
Life is tough.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:52 pm
@neologist,
Alarmingly warm so far this year...I am going to have to mow my lawn a full month before normal, in about a week.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 02:43 pm
Just to give you some hope, today in neighbour's garden:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2hi6uds.jpg
(Boston: 42°21′29″N 71°03′49″W - my place:51°42′51″N , 8°20′11″E)

The bird are singing, too, ...

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 04:09 pm
From The Telegraph...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03203/potd-weather-earie_3203266k.jpg

Ninety percent of Lake Erie has frozen over as seen in this image taken by Nasa's Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer satellite. The aftermath of a deadly winter storm paralyzed much of the eastern United States on Tuesday and forecasters warned of the worst cold in two decades from another arctic front this week.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 05:52 am

https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10954597_649557171822539_2852175750588781034_n.jpg?oh=4a488732099cc21f4bb0267b083ebd2c&oe=55505727
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 12:59 pm
65 minutes this AM. Cleared up the new stuff in the places where we were already clear (yes, it snowed today) and made it to the detached garage.

For the most part, you have your choice of 2 forms of weather this February in Boston:
  • Above 20 F, with snow or
  • Below 20 F, without snow but with a frostbite warning

We sometimes get the Anchorage Special, which is a combo of both.
Thomas

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:32 pm
@jespah,
So, how is all this affecting Region's home-to-work jogs? Has he broken the one-hour mark lately?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:00 pm
Have you jumped out of the window into the snow yet?
George

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a flat front porch roof that I have to shovel off after heavy snowfalls.
Couple this with a small front yard and the pile of snow from sidewalk and
porch can get pretty high. Once, some years ago, I yielded to the
temptation to jump into it from the porch roof. My neighbor from across
the street (a nurse) ratted me out to the Lovely Bride. I am now under
solemn promise not to do it again.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:27 pm
@George,
Lameth non timebit domui suae a frigoribus nivis omnes enim domestici eius vestiti duplicibus (Proverbs 31:21) Wink
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 05:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
#BostonBlizzardChallenge: Boston Mayor Says Stop Jumping Out of Windows

Not-so-wicked-smaht Bostonians are stripping down to their underwear and jumping out of their windows into piles of snow to take the #BostonBlizzardChallenge spreading on social media.

Though clips of half-naked residents plunging into the snow have social media users amused, Boston's mayor isn't laughing.

"This isn't Loon Mountain," Mayor Martin Walsh said in a news conference on Monday, referring to a New Hampshire ski resort. "This is the city of Boston, where we're trying to remove snow off of the street, and it becomes very dangerous."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/bostonblizzardchallenge-boston-mayor-stop-jumping-windows/story?id=29045774
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 07:59 pm
@Linkat,
He's probably right, fostering the dives could result in more trouble, already enough with that, though he seems more worried about being serious when quoted.

On the other hand, I get it, the play, from afar.
(grandmother from south boston, then to watertown)

As a land arch, I do hope no one lands on concrete somehow.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Was reading last month that increasing numbers of cities are outlawing going down hills with any contraption on city owned land because of a desire to cut the liability insurance costs. This is decades after the same excuse was used to ruin all of the play equipment in parks. I am glad I was a kid when kids were still allowed to have fun.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 08:54 pm
@Thomas,

these days i head down to the tropical paradise that is NYC to do my jogging...
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 09:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm an old park designer, not intensively but interested. I'd have to know more specifics.

And then I'd bill you.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 09:44 pm
@ossobuco,
To be honest, I did some small child park design, inner city; some large museum design; ordinary tract parks (don't get me started), and early on some skid row park stuff, none of it by me as other than helper as I was still in school. Turned out to be useful photographer. Just about in reverse order.

But, I've had park interest, see Newton.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:07 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Amen amen dico vobis
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:13 am
@Linkat,
I've been to Loon many times.
Never saw anybody in his undies jumping into snow banks.

But at the now-closed Mt. Whittier slope where the Blitzschnell and
Hochflieger clubs used to hold "Silly Slalom", I saw a guy drop trou and
ski-jump into a large pool of snow-melt.
Thomas

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:25 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
these days i head down to the tropical paradise that is NYC to do my jogging...

Ten degrees Fahrenheit today. If that's a tropical paradise, you're easy to please. I have a four-miler scheduled for tomorrow, but I think I'll skip.
Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:53 am
@George,
Funny story about Loon - not quite jumping and it wasn't intentional....I was skiing down one trail - my boyfriend ahead of me. He stopped to see where I was...now I am a pretty poor skier - but I wasn't that far behind him...I couldn't stop quick especially since it was a warm day and so was wet - I turned to avoid running into him

I then went between two trees just missing them and then off the trail into a steep incline (think jumping from a two story into deep snow) - I couldn't get up onto the trail from there. I had to take off my skis, toss them up and use my poles to be pulled up onto the trail.

I think the Loon was in reference to the name -- loony people. Bad joke my the mayor.