Love at first sight...is there such a thing?

Eva

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:31 am
GUS!!! <shielding eyes>
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:32 am
http://www.lifeskillsinternational.com/pictures/smwomanhiding.gif
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:34 pm
gus, you stud. i'm buying some wieners in a can and i'll be over just as soon a you give me your address.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:44 pm
Thanks for the offer, Gala, but I had so much trouble getting out of these damn overalls, they kept binding and such, and the friction was fairly persistent and, well, I have been sated.

I'm gonna go have a smoke.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:52 pm
c'mon gus, don't be so opaque, you know what weners in a can do for you...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:55 pm
You know...

The world would be a whole lot simpler if there was hate at first sight.

One of my relationships lasted 5 long years before we realized we hated each other. It sure would have been a lot less painful if we could have figured that one out right away...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
Weiners in a can. That might just make for an interesting thread.

Definite possibilities there.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:59 pm
if you start a thread about weiners in a can, you'd better give credit to me, the woman behind the man.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
but wait e_brown, hate and love are close to one another. did you actually love this person?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Oh, you're going to be an integral player in the forthcoming thread, Gala.

Rest assured.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
Good concept there, ebrown..
0 Replies

nappy69

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:53 am
maybe you can't fall in love at the fist glance maybe it's just some silly thing and all that really matters in a realtionship is stability, honesty and trust and a whole bunch of other stuff. maybe i don't know what i'm saying.... but I'll see if I fall in love at first sight and if I do i'll tell you about in say.... 10 years.
0 Replies

SueZCue

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 05:48 am
Oh yeah, being able to identify hate at first sight definitely would be great! It might put a lot of divorce attorneys out of business, but so what? LOL

Anyway, no, I don't believe in love at first sight. I do believe in instant attraction and having a great time with someone new, but that's not love. I think real, mature and lasting love involves mutual respect/trust/commitment, similar interests/goals/values, patience, communication as well as physical attraction and the ability to have fun together and enjoy each other's company. It also proves that you're in love after you've been through major crises together and came through it as a team. This has to be someone you know you can depend on nomatter what.

In the first two weeks of a relationship, and even longer, people are still "on their best behavior." You really can't even know someone, not the real person at least, until much later, when they're 100% comfortable being themselves with you without fear of rejection or criticism.

The first several months to a year of a relationship are still the "honeymoon" phase, you know, everything is new and you haven't seen or acknowledged any of this person's shortcomings or idiosyncrasies and/or seen them at their worst yet. It's this way at the beginning of any new relationship.

When you can accept the everyday grind with life's little annoyances, agree to sometimes disagree, and although neither of you is a gorgeous physically perfect 20-year-old anymore, but are still able to look past the bald head, beer belly or some excess cellulite and still see a beautiful person there in spite of it all, I'd say you're probably in love.

Two weeks? No way.

But I'm sure the sex is great at this point of newness though. Unfortunately, you can't base a lifetime on that alone. Take it for what it's worth and if things start to look like this is a potential life-mate somewhere down the road, great! If not, you've had some fun and hopefully learned some valuable lessons along the way. Committed potentially life-long love takes way more time and work. It has to be nurtured and given time evolve and grow.

I think many people are in love with the concept of "being in love" rather than with any particular person, which is a recipe for potential disappointment.

It's best to be patient and not believe everything we see in the movies.
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 06:53 am
Hmmm... love at first sight. I used to believe it, I can certainly feel the passion for it. But I understand the explinations of lust at first sight, and love may or may not follow after. But it's simply in those weeks following you know, i think.
I think that its lust a first sight, but the matter is you know if you can feel love for this person. Its expected love at first sight, a kind of jumping ahead knowing that you can love this person. Can and perhaps will. Its a whirlwind the first few days, until you come down but its coming down that... I suppose... your heart is either in their hands or its not. Mine certainly was.
0 Replies

disenter512

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 01:25 pm
Quote:
McGentrix wrote:
I think lust at first sight is a much more common occurance.

Love at first sight is extremely rare.

too true but it can and does happen well in movies ha ah
0 Replies