Love at first sight...is there such a thing?

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:03 pm
Okay, so my 20 year old sister calls me last night and lets me know that she is head over heels in love w/ someone that she's known for two weeks. She says that she knows that this guy could be the man she marries, she supposedly knew it from the minute she saw him. She's usually really careful when it comes to relationships, so thats what has me wondering. When I first met my husband I thought he was cute, but it took about a year b/f a rock hit me over the head and I realized I liked him. So since I've never felt the love at first sight feeling, I was wondering if any of you have? Is there any truth to it or is my sister just in a lust world right now?Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,607 • Replies: 34
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:43 pm
I felt love at first sight, the 5 year old relationship ending a year ago!!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 05:49 pm
Yes.

I just had a discussion with an old friend of mine, we were talking about love as a general concept and I was musing aloud, "When did I first know?" about my now-husband, and my friend said "RIGHT AWAY!!" She had been skeptical and a little amused -- it was very out of character for me -- but I was saying he was the one within the first couple of weeks, too. I had actually forgotten that until she reminded me because I spent a lot of time second-guessing myself -- was I sure? I mean, really really sure? But it was pretty darn quick. That was a dozen years ago.

Of course people think that when it's not in fact true, too. But it happens.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 06:57 pm
I dated a guy once that I feel for hard.
I had gone with a guy to a dinner with a bunch of his friends then we all went out dancing. The guy I came with started dancing with two other girls so one of the guys that was with us came over to me and we started talking. We talked all night long...I mean all night. We went over to a friends house and stayed up all night talking.

Then we were driving to a pet store to help someone buy a new fishtank. I was in the back seat and I looked up and saw his beautiful eyes in the mirror and I knew that I was hooked.

Unfortunately it didn't work out and he didn't feel the same way but at least I had a fun two years out of it.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 03:27 am
I think that the seeds of love can be planted at first sight; but, 'love at first sight' is, in most cases, 'attraction at first sight;' they're not the same. For me, love doesn't just start; it has to be worked upon to work, or to become something bigger...

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:34 am
I agree as a general concept, but I've been attracted at first sight, and this was something different.

I wouldn't call it literal first sight, though -- it took a few days.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2004 08:54 am
I think lust at first sight is a much more common occurance.

Love at first sight is extremely rare.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:30 am
I agree McG. I think many people today get the two confused. Either that, or they use the word love to mean "attracted to". I don't believe you can fall in love with someone without knowing them. Attraction? Yes. Love? I just have a hard time believing that.

I met my future wife at a party, and like in a previous post, we spent the entire evening talking and dancing. I was certainly attracted to her. At the time I may even have claimed it was love at first sight. But since then I believe I have a deeper understanding of what love really is, and in hindsight what I felt that night was not love. But the attraction grew into love as we got to know each other and we have just celebrated our 22nd anniversary.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:41 pm
I dont take the statement "love at first sight" literally either. I think love is an action.. not a feeling. The feeling you get from loving someone is satisfaction . Loving someone is what you do for them to bring you that satisfaction and vice/versa for them. I think alot of people mistake common emotions/thoughts for "love". Curiousity , anxiety, attraction, anger , happiness etc.. can all create a satisfactory feeling that people can and will lable as 'love'. I just dont think I can 'love'someone at first sight because i am not doing anything to perpetuate that feeling. Do i think I WANT to love someone at first sight? Yeah.. my husband and I knew we would marry by the 3rd day. And it was just a given. No -lights camera action- needed. It was just going to happen. And that was a great sence of satisfaction...wich I call love.
?? do I make sence ?? I think that we all want to have that loving feeling for someone , but I dont truly think it is something that just happens.. I think it is something you do.
0 Replies

izzyrose

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:10 pm
CoastalRat, Congrats on your 22nd anniversary! Thats awesome!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:26 pm
Does anyone think you "just know" when you meet that someone that you are going to marry them? Not necessarily love at first sight , but comfort ? make sence?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
In other words, do I believe in intuition? When you put it that way.....Yes, I do.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:11 pm
"Love at first sight...is there such a thing?"

Yes.

e.g.

"Push.."

"Push..."

"Waaaaaaaaahhh!"

"Oh dear god that wet monkey looking thing is the most beautiful thing in the world!"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 04:17 pm
Don't necessarily happen that way with the wet monkeys even.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
Love at First Sight
I agree with what some of the others have said. You can't possibly know if you can "love" someone at first sight, but you can definitely be "attracted" at first sight.

I met my man when I walked into his store. He was standing behind the counter. Our eyes met. I felt a spark of recognition, but it wasn't love at first sight. I just had this fleeting feeling that I knew him, but we had never met before. He was definitely attractive!

Whatever that initial spark was, it smoldered for a few months and then burst into flames. The smoldering part was when thoughts of him kept popping into my head . . . his contagious smile, his seductive eyes, his muscular biceps . . . LOL It was definitely a physical attraction. How could it be love? I didn't even know him. I didn't know what kind of person he was or whether our personalities were compatible. Nevertheless, the attraction was mutual.

Six months after we met, we were a hot item (ripping our clothes off every time we saw each other). That couldn't possibly be love. That was lust.

When did I know we were in love? I can't say for sure because it happened so slowly. My heart just grew to cherish him more and more because with each passing day, he showed me (and continues to show me) kindness, gentleness, and consideration. Love isn't something you tell each other (although we do say it every day); love is something you show each other every day. (Actions speak louder than words.)

Now, years later, we can hold each other's hands and laugh at each other's jokes and stories all evening long. It amazes me how well he knows me. It amazes me how I will be thinking something--and that very thought just flows out of his mouth. He amazes me!

Loving the right person is EASY. This relationship is EASY. We never fight. Neither one of us makes unreasonable demands on the other; and it is always easy to meet the reasonable requirements of your partner. The comfort, happiness, and security of a good relationship cannot be measured because it is boundless.

As for your sister, she has only known this man for two weeks. Her feelings for him can't possibly be "love at first sight." It is lust and excitement. Only time will tell if they are right for each other . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:51 pm
This is the first time I've seen Debra_Law on this site.

I think I'm in love.
0 Replies

lilly456

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:08 pm
"I agree with what some of the others have said. You can't possibly know if you can "love" someone at first sight, but you can definitely be "attracted" at first sight. "

Oh most definately!!

See this happened to me. But it didn't end up as nice as Debra_law's story.

I was friends with this guy for years, after i had been away studying for twelve months i met him in the mall. He looked completely different very grown up, and I knew then and there that i wanted him. I think it got all mixed up with the feelings of him for a friend and being very attracted to him physically.

I think they say something about the chemicals in your brain when you think you're in love or meet someone when you're attracted to them.

And this definately can cloud your judgement big time, I ended up in a really bad situation with this guy... yes everyone it is the same guy in my other posts. I think you have to be careful to not completely fall for someone based on an initial attraction.

I think lust does get confused with love. but doesn't lust lead to love? and you must lust after the one you love or it just wouldn't work.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:12 pm
I've been in lust many times. What happened with the guy who became my husband was different, more than that.

Again, not at literal first sight, but within the first week.

We had been together for about 10 days when we were chatting with someone who didn't know either of us. The person asked, so, how long have you guys been together? We looked at each other, counted fingers, said wow, 10 days. The person laughed, ha ha, no really. This went on for a while... the person assumed we had been together for years and years, just wanted to know HOW MANY years.

Anyway, "at first sight" is one of those things that are hard to define, but we each definitely KNEW way before it was practical.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
i've been in love with gustratzenhofer from the moment i saw his picture...this has never happend to me before.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 11:59 pm
Quote:
i've been in love with gustratzenhofer from the moment i saw his picture...this has never happend to me before.

Excuse me while I loosen this overall strap.
0 Replies