How about Obama's Tax the Rich Plan?

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 06:26 pm
Sounds pretty good to me, but this is what you do after you campaign on the proposal, and win an election in part on it. I think since there is zero reason to suspect that Congress will pass the plan since Obama did not do the work that it is yet more SOTU hot air which will quickly be forgotten. It is not a serious proposal, it is a rather useless attempt to get the historians to write good things about Obama.

What say you?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 06:38 pm
Quote:
The White House will surely be accused of class warfare, of pitting the interests of the affluent directly against the working class. But if other Democrats (particularly the party’s nominee for president in 2016) seize on this basic framework, of higher taxes on capital in exchange for lower taxes on labor, it will help offer a clear vision of what the Democratic Party stands for after the Obama years.

For Republicans, it creates an interesting challenge. In his opening steps toward a presidential run, for example, former Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida has spoken of rising inequality as being real — and the way to reduce it being rooted in entrepreneurship and free enterprise. Some Republicans will support aspects of the president’s plan, particularly an increase in the earned-income tax credit to reduce taxes on low-income workers, but Republicans uniformly find the idea of paying for it with tax increases on the wealthy to be anathema.

In other words, we are heading toward an election in which the two parties more or less agree on the problem facing Americans: A growing economy has done little to accrue to the incomes and living standards of ordinary workers over the past generation. But they will have starkly different answers over how to combat it.

Barack Obama won’t be on the ballot in 2016. But with his speech Tuesday, he will take his best stab at shaping the terms of the debate over American economic policy even once he is spending long hours on a Hawaii beach

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/19/upshot/obamas-tax-proposal-is-really-about-shaping-the-democratic-party-after-obama.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=0

I think not, The Obama idea factory has only slightly more credibility with D's than it has with R's. I doubt that anyone running in 16 will give the slightest damn what Obama thinks about anything.....other than to run against his ideas again as the R's just successfully did.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
President Obama has been pretty consistent in saying taxes should be raised for people with income greater than $200k so I don't think you have a cause to complain there. When he let the Bush tax cuts expire, he negotiated with the Republican House to keep some of the low end cuts but had to let the high end go to a higher number, I think $400k.

I think this is something different. The President is no longer constrained by any hope of negotiating, so he can just say what he wants. I was listening to a radio news article a few weeks ago that talked about negotiating strategies. They tasked two groups with selling a CD. The first group they told that if they couldn't sell the CD, they could get a backup price (low, like $1). The second group had no backup available. The second group negotiated more aggressively and got a better average price for their CD's than the first group. The two suggested theories were that the backup made the first group more willing to settle and that the low price set an expectation as to the value of the CD in the first group's members.

When the President was elected, the Democrats were the first group trying to get something done, the Republicans were the second group with no fallback position and nothing to lose by going nuclear on every issue. Now the tables are turned. President Obama has no fallback position. There is no half-loaf solution available for him. The Republicans are in the position of having to actually govern with Obama in the big chair and with the Democrats completely willing to filibuster in the Senate. I half way expect the Democrats to go a nuclear, scorched Earth policy for the next two years.

I also expect the President's tax proposal to go nowhere, but I don't think historians will even make note of the suggestion.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:39 pm
@engineer,
Sounds like we are in agreement, pretty decent ideas ( though I hate the community college plan), but presented by him at this time in this way it is noise. I largely stopped paying attention to SOTU speeches years ago, as they year after year have little relavance. This seems to be more of the same.
engineer

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Yes, pretty much. I have seen an article saying this is the opening salvo for the Democratic platform for 2016 and addressing the growing wealth gap, but we will need to see.
djjd62

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:43 am
years ago it was proposed we eat the rich

that hasn't panned out, so taxing them seems to be the next best option
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 12:00 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Yes, pretty much. I have seen an article saying this is the opening salvo for the Democratic platform for 2016 and addressing the growing wealth gap, but we will need to see.

Speeches designed to position rather than do, how normal for our modern broken washington. Hell, Congress passes bills designed to position rather than do, so I suppose we should give Obama a pass.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 09:33 am
@engineer,
For the first time I missed the speech, forgot about it actually. I feel bad about it now. Was gone.

You are probably right his tax suggestion will go nowhere, just like his other suggestions to help the middle class with his jobs proposal a few years ago went nowhere. The one where there was more training for higher paying jobs in the more new technological (think that is the right term) fields.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 11:23 am
@revelette2,
Last years ratings were a 14 year low, the overnites have this year being worse.
revelette2

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 12:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
Which should make you happy. I am going to try and find a transcript and save it so I will know what he said.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 05:56 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Which should make you happy. I am going to try and find a transcript and save it so I will know what he said.

I am not happy that the guy who is supposed to be the leader of us all used what is supposed to be a national status speech for the single purpose to see his ideology. That is what fundraisers are for. I know that presidents have long done this to some degree, but Obama took this pettiness to a whole new level.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 07:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
What do you think about Boehner inviting foreign unelected by american citizens politicians to address congress in order to spite Obama? Did you wet your pants in joy? I hope Obama uses all the power of the presidency to screw that Isralie bastard and Boehner.
engineer

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 09:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
The SOTU address is always about the President laying out his agenda. I'm not sure what else you wanted him to say.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 09:27 pm
@engineer,
Things they are going to pursue, things they hope to get done. Obamas SOTU speeches are like chinese food, shortly after consumption it is like nothing ever happened. Obama rarely does the work, he just likes giving speeches, likes mocking those who dont agree with him.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 01:43 am
@RABEL222,
Where have you been hiding for the last 50 years?

http://history.house.gov/Institution/Foreign-Leaders/Foreign-Leaders/

http://conginst.org/2014/09/25/history-of-foreign-dignitaries-appearing-before-congress/

http://csis.org/files/publication/130514_park_addresses.pdf

So,are you going to blame Boehner for Churchill speaking before a joint session of congress?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 02:11 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
What do you think about Boehner inviting foreign unelected by american citizens politicians to address congress in order to spite Obama? Did you wet your pants in joy? I hope Obama uses all the power of the presidency to screw that Isralie bastard and Boehner.

I despise the R's about as much as the D's. neither party has any interest in getting their jobs done.

Re the particular question: The R idea to embarrass Obama with his foreign policy incompetence is a solid partisan ploy, and I dont want to see another partisan ploy till after these assholes get their work done.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 08:06 am
@mysteryman,
Apparently there is some difference in Churchill's appearing before congress and a SOTU address. Churchill appeared before Joint Meetings. However two others appeared before congress in Joint Sessions.

Apparently Netanyahu is going to appear before a Joint Meeting.

Boehner, White House Clash Over Netanyahu Invite

Quote:
January 21, 2015 President Obama warned Congress Tuesday night that he would veto any new sanctions legislation on Iran, saying it would derail U.S. negotiations in the Middle East. But John Boehner isn't ready to sit out the battle over Iran's nuclear program.

"[Obama's] exact message to us was: 'Hold your fire.' He expects us to stand idly by and do nothing while he cuts a bad deal with Iran. Two words: 'Hell no!'" the House speaker said during his weekly press briefing on Wednesday. "We're going to do no such thing."

Instead, Boehner has invited Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address Congress next month. He didn't consult with the White House before extending the invitation, and administration officials are not happy. Press secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday afternoon that Boehner's invitation is a breach of normal diplomatic protocol. Typically, a nation's leader would contact the White House before planning a visit to the United States, he said. The White House heard about the invite from Boehner's office, not from the Israelis.

According to pool reports, Earnest called the invite "interesting," and when asked if the White House was annoyed because Boehner did not reach out first, he said, "No."

Earnest said the White House is reserving judgment about the invite until U.S. officials talk to their Israeli counterparts. Boehner's office confirmed that Netanyahu has accepted, and will give a speech to a joint session of Congress on Feb. 11. The date is significant: It's the 36th anniversary of the Iranian Revolution.

The Boehner decision may be unprecedented, especially if the bigger breach of protocol is not that the White House didn't know, but that the White House wasn't involved in the invitation.

However, this isn't the first time a House speaker has reached out to a world leader despite a White House request to stay back. In April 2007, then-Speaker Nancy Pelosi traveled to Syria to meet with President Bashar al-Assad despite the Bush administration's objections. Pelosi wanted to start a dialogue with Syria, as diplomatic relations had broken down in the 1990s; President George W. Bush rejected such negotiation, saying, "Sending delegations doesn't work."

The speaker said in a statement Wednesday that he invited Netanyahu "to address Congress on the grave threats radical Islam and Iran pose to our security and way of life."

A yearlong effort led by Secretary of State John Kerry to reach a deal with Iran to dismantle parts of its nuclear program failed in November, forcing the U.S. and its allies to declare a seven-month extension on negotiations. Republicans say these kinds of concessions—and any future ones—are putting U.S. security at risk, according to a House leadership aide.

Kerry said Wednesday afternoon that Netanyahu is "welcome" to speak in the U.S. any time, but learning of the prime minister's next visit from Boehner's office was "unusual," reports CBS News' Margaret Brennan.

Boehner's invite adds fuel to a potential showdown between Congress and the White House over Iran, one that could lead to the first successful veto override of Obama's tenure as president. Twelve Democrats in the Senate have previously cosponsored legislation to impose sanctions on Iran. If they continue to call for sanctions alongside their Republican colleagues, the Senate may have the two-thirds majority necessary to override an Obama veto.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 01:16 pm
I hope people keep note if democrats actually breaks rank and overrides a veto from the President. It could end up being like a Iraq war vote in the future. There are a lot more "leftist" democrats who are not so "Pro Israeli" than people might think.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2015 08:50 pm
@mysteryman,
Churchill was an asshole but he helped win the 2nd world war. He was worth something and one could trust his word. Netenhue is a lying murdering rat who would be better off dead. No comparison asshole. And ive been around 79 years and experienced a hell of a lot more history than you so stuff it where the sun dont shine.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 11:41 pm
Report: Netanyahu Might Have Leaked U.S.-Iran Nuclear Details
Source: TPM/Washington Post

U.S. officials suspect Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu authorized leaking details of U.S. nuclear negotiations with Iran to Israeli journalists, according to The Washington Post's David Ignatius.

Concerns that Israeli officials had leaked key details about those negotiations, including that the U.S. offered to let Iran enrich uranium with "6,500 or more centrifuges as part of a final deal," has prompted the U.S. to limit the amount of sensitive information it exchanges with Israel about the Iran nuclear negotiations, Ignatius reported.

White House spokesman Alistair Baskey, Ignatius noted, denied a report on Sunday by Israel's Channel 2 news that the Obama administration had completely cut communications with Israel on the Iranian talks.

White House officials suggested that those reports were actually misleading, as centrifuge numbers in the negotiations are part of a larger package that also includes Iran's nuclear stockpile and what type of centrifuges Iran would be allowed to operate, according to Ignatius.

-snip-

Read more: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/report-netanyahu-leak-details-nuclear-talks-iran