Progress in consciousness?

alikimr

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:58 pm
JLN & Stuh505;
Dualism and non-dualism perspectives will clash with the same passion as the realist/materialist perspective will class with the metaphysical/mystical every time. And you two
guys go at it as that kind of disagreement can indeed be resolved and one remains obstinate, etc.,
etc. Human nature will be the winner everytime!!!
You know as well as I do that we "adopt"
our belief systems and then rationalize their credibility thereafter using language manipulations as we see fit.
If one of you guys leave this forum, its quality will be lessened thereby.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 07:21 pm
The irony on this thread is delightful:

One side appears to have considerable faith in [his] perceptions (thanks, Gel, for the prompt), and consequently refuses to acknowledge the mystery of those very perceptions (in effect, minimizing them!).

The other side is considerably more humble about [her] perceptions, and can, consequently, recognize the fabulous conundrum that they imply (in effect, elevating them!).

On my side, I vastly prefer the bumbling around an exceedingly difficult topic to the pompous bull-in-a-china-shop pretense that no difficulty exists.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:39 pm
Well I certainly am not leaving; I've been here for years. And, by the way, I don't recall such rudeness in all that time (well maybe one or two other cases...and I do mean cases).
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:03 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
The brain is nothing more than tissue........

sure it is.
But i strongly agree with stuh!

The brain is 'everything'; all else is the 'carrier'.
And 'consciousness' is basically analgous to the operating system/gui, that integrates, and makes 'sense?' of it all.

No 'Ghost'!

and why must 'consciousness' receive such 'adoration'; surely any living creature has a degree of consciousness which integrates its systems into a functioning unit. As the complexity grows so grows the degree, or perhaps 'complexity' of the more 'capable' entity.
Our 'sentience' is the current high point; and probably will not compare to what is producible once we have mastered the recipe, and construction details for our own forays into 'mind' assembly.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:26 pm
Hah, do I hear the ringing of futurism in your comments, BoGoWo? Are you suggesting that human minds are mere prototypes for robot minds of the future? Very Happy
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:27 pm
jnhofzinser wrote:
............On my side, I vastly prefer the bumbling around an exceedingly difficult topic to the pompous bull-in-a-china-shop pretense that no difficulty exists.

I would be the last to suggest that no vestige of male bovine characteristic, ever colours my comments; but the difficulty hofzy (if i may), resides in the detail, the gruesomely, intricate, and infinite detail, not with the concept!
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:34 pm
I won't be leaving able2know. I just won't be participating in this discussion of consciousness anymore. You could call me rude, you could call me honest, you could call me blunt...I am sometimes rude and I am always honest and always blunt. I can't say I enjoy the hatred I recieve for pointing out others' errors, but I consider it my duty as an honest person to speak up when I see BS...and I will continue to do this. I hold no personal grudges against anyone.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:46 pm
i must also, of course give voice to my dismay that seemingly the higher the potential 'octane' of brain power, the greater the 'injection' of rancour;

if the primitive competitive, and territorial urges could be left at the door, and simple indications of respect for one another's right to offer thoughts, even when their 'wisdom' is not shared, could be maintained we could purge 'competition' from the effort to understand.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 11:48 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Hah, do I hear the ringing of futurism in your comments, BoGoWo? Are you suggesting that human minds are mere prototypes for robot minds of the future? Very Happy

of course, but not 'robots' - artificial "Intelligence"!
(with not a primitive hypothalamus, in their bodies!)
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:22 am
Collectively you are the answer .... separatly , when all alone, you know. You can not bring a timeless entity into being and not know ... your self.
The birth, while not yet the beginning, initiates the end.
Consciousness was an after thought.

Gnôthi seauton
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 04:54 am
BoGoWo wrote:
if i may
If you would like to be familiar, you may call me nepo.
BoGoWo wrote:
the difficulty ... resides in the detail, the gruesomely, intricate, and infinite detail, not with the concept!
You may be right. But you have no evidence to back the statement up. Consequently, your statement is entirely faith-based (as, of course, are non-materialist reactions to your statement). The difference is that faith is not a difficulty for the non-materialist :wink: (she is just honest about it). Hence, the contention that there is no difficulty represents a (meta?-)difficulty for the materialist position.

Btw, I'd be very interested in any road-map you may have to get to the legendary
BoGoWo wrote:
artificial "Intelligence"
...or will you get there by faith, too?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:56 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
........Btw, I'd be very interested in any road-map you may have to get to the legendary
BoGoWo wrote:
artificial "Intelligence"
...or will you get there by faith, too?

nepo (thanks);

i'm afraid like most, i may only arrive there via the indefatigable labour of others;
and as for 'faith', in all its forms, there is a kernel of total sureness to it (possibly misplaced); as, similar to the yin/yang, there is within reality, a kernel of 'doubt'! Rolling Eyes

i am fully convinced that, because of our corrective abilities, now functioning in medical science, and the short timeframe we are considering; evolution, as a 'vector' properly defined by science, is over - can no longer effect profitable changes; and if we wish to improve the level of 'wisdom' on this planet, we will have to do it ourselves!
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:18 am
BoGoWo wrote:
if we wish to improve the level of 'wisdom' on this planet, we will have to do it ourselves!
Good luck to us all. If the current forum represents the "channel capacity" between us (using the jargon of information theory, which, as fresco says, should not be taken as an a priori), we may not get very far, very fast.

NB: this is NOT a personal attack on anyone in particular -- I recognize and admit to my own incapacity to break through the barriers as they exist between us all

Having been researching artificial intelligence for the last twenty years or so, I can say without hesitation that AI represents a modern Babel. If you thought the traditional Babel myth is odd (and indeed it is!) one need not go further than the AI community to see the Babel dynamic in spades.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 10:23 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
...........If the current forum represents the "channel capacity" between us......

we must consider ourselves to be rather "dial up"! :wink:

no 'broadband' here!

[it would be great if, with your experience you were to start a thread on A.I., where i and the other 'uncleans' could ask questions (and pester you to death - hopefully not).]
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:07 am
BoGoWo wrote:
it would be great if...
Thanks for the compliment, but stuh505 was not far off when he conjectured a "no experts" field. The "winner" of a recent Loebner Prize (a dead horse that folk as luminary as Daniel Dennett bet on at its inception), is a chap who said:
Richard Wallace wrote:
In case you haven't noticed, the field of Artificial Intelligence (defined however you wish) has almost nothing to do with science. It is all about politics. When you look at all the people working professionally in the field of A.I., it brings to mind the old joke:

Q: How many Carnegie Mellon Ph.D.s does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Two. One to change the bulb, and one to pull the chair out from under him.

The only rule most of these people know is: undermine the competition at all costs, by whatever legal means, or whatever they can get away with. That is how you become King of the A.I. Anthill.

Having a good theory or better implementation of anything is beside the point. Being able to "play the game" and knock out the competition, that is what it is all about. Swim with sharks or be eaten by them.

Especially in the age of increased competition for diminishing jobs and funding, scientific truth takes a back seat to save-your-ass.
Babel it is.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 11:19 am
Something to think about whilst waiting for the fish to bite.
There are two necessary givens for this to work. I do not purport this to be truth, just grist for the mill.

Given #1
There is an intelligence operating in all things in all that is known. Example: two atoms of oxygen combine with one atom hydrogen. The recipe for the most important ingredient for life ... water. Water that makes photosynthesis possible in green plants to recycle depleted oxygen and carbon in the form of co2. Happenstance, or intelligence. For the sake of the argument lets assume an active intelligence.

Given #2

Evolution or a reasonable facsimile thereof. Whatever the form of the intelligence that produced h2o did not stop there. The life forms that came about with the randomness of creation, whether brought about by the 'big bang', or a wave of the 'cosmic muffin's' hand, life sprang from the planet, and began it's ascension, guided by random chance initially, then by omnipresent intelligence eventually.

A strange thing happened that dwarfed the progress to the point of it's occurrence .... the intelligence became aware of other intelligence. The first thoughts were formed on subjects other than base urgings,
this brought about a consciousness that was the predecessor to self awareness.
Enter the Noble savage
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 02:48 pm
Gel. Your last post is very provocative--yes, even an ugly old man like me can be provoked. Your comments about cosmic intelligence, as I like to call it, is something that one either intuits to be "significant" or not. It is not a notion that one can embrace or reject "scientifically"--yet. But if it is so that quantum physics someday discovers that the physical world is ultimately (meaning as far as we can conceptualize) a form of intelligence THAT will be most significant. Imagine our intelligence discovering the Cosmo's intelligence (like the image of the snake swallowing its own tail?). Perhaps the same word, intelligence, should not be used for both realities. I would never argue against cosmic intelligence on the grounds that it is sloppy, producing all kinds of "anomalites" that we find to be "failures of intelligence", or expressions of Cosmic stupidity. It could be that our anomalies are of no consequence in the Cosmic scheme. Now. I do not expect any "scientists" among us to reject, repudiate or depreciate the above speculation on purely technical grounds, as if methodological principles were metaphycial truths. I expect people of contrasting cognitive temperaments to turn away from it as either meaningless or unprofitable. That's fine. But I insist that while it may be wrong it's decidedly not idiotic. A purely technical rigor may result in what I like to call, metaphorically, rigour mortis, and, of course, a purely speculative rhapsody may be no more than intellectual fluff.
By the way, Stuh's insistence that he is merely being honest and blunt with others confuses such qualities with rudeness. We have plenty of honest and blunt people here--JoefromChicago comes immediately to mind. But he cannot be characterized as rude. He may challenge another's logic, but he would never deign to dissect their grammar.

edited June 21
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:45 am
JLNobody wrote:
Gel. Your last post is very provocative--yes, even an ugly old man like me can be provoked. Your comments about cosmic intelligence, as I like to call it, is something that one either intuits to be "significant" or not. It is not a notion that one can embrace or reject "scientifically"--yet. But if it is so that quantum physics someday discovers that the physical world is ultimately (meaning as far as we can conceptualize) a form of intelligence THAT will be most significant. Imagine our intelligence discovering the Cosmo's intelligence (like the image of the snake swallowing its own tail?). Perhaps the same word, intelligence, should not be used for both realities. I would never argue against cosmic intelligence on the grounds that it is sloppy, producing all kinds of "anomalites" that we find to be "failures of intelligence", or expressions of Cosmic stupidity. It could be that our anomalies are of no consequence in the Cosmic scheme. Now. I do not expect any "scientists" among us to reject, repudiate or depreciate the above speculation on petty technical grounds, as if technical conclusions were metaphycial truths. I expect people of contrasting cognitive temperaments to turn away from it as either meaningless or unprofitable. That's fine. But I insist that while it may be wrong it's decidedly not idiotic. A purely technical rigor may result in what I like to call, metaphorically, rigour mortis, and, of course, a purely speculative rhapsody may be no more than intellectual fluff.
By the way, Stuh's insistence that he is merely being honest and blunt with others confuses such qualities with rudeness. We have plenty of honest and blunt people here--JoefromChicago--comes immediately to mind. But he cannot be characterized as rude. He may challenge another's logic, but he would never deign to dissect their grammar.

JL, thanks for your response and the chance to 'flesh out' the bones of my mental roamings, the equivalent of mental bubble gum. I forget where the quote comes from and also the exact quote so I paraphrase ... 'it is not our intelligence that makes us wise but our mental diversity'. The ability to 'problem solve'.
When I spoke of 'intelligence' in the universe I was addressing not the power to reason rather the 'integrality' of the universe. Let me explain using stu505's partially correct example of the brain controlling respiration. Respiration, that is external respiration (external respiration is the physical movement of air into and out of the lungs .... as opposed to 'internal respiration' ... gas exchange at the cellular level) is regulated by the Ph of the blood .... a normal range is 7.35 to 7.45. In hypoventilation the co2 created as a by-product of internal respiration combines with H2O to create carbonic acid lowering the blood Ph. This alteration is sensed by bodies located in the carotid arteries called 'central chemorecepters' which send a signal to the respiratory center of the brain to increase the respiratory minute volume or the amount of air moving in and out of the lungs reducing the co2 and returning the Ph to more acceptable levels.
There is a ton more involved but for the point I am trying to make this should suffice.
The intelligence I was referring to is that which placed the chemoreceptors in the path of the most recently infused organ in the body, the brain. Denied oxygen longer than eight minutes the brain cells begin to die so intervention in the cessation of respiration in the shortest time possible, is crucial. Random design could have placed the chemoreceptors in say, an artery supplying blood to the big toe .... with predictable results.
This is the intelligence I address that started with a single cell, (with evolution as a given) developed senses like heat and cold, hunger, became aware and invented, in the process, a conscious entity.
And the possibility exist that this was all accomplished ..... by thought.

Your turn Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:20 am
oh my; i assume you mean 'instead' of evolutionary pressures/testing! Rolling Eyes

I thing you are following a multicoloured 'herring'; if the chemosensor had (and it probably did) anywhere 'unsuitable' the 'test' subject would probably not survived to reproduction; and that, not some 'mystical' internal 'intelligence' would support it's occurring in the right place to do its job.

The word intelligence, itself, implies no connection to the occult!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 08:31 am
JLNobody wrote:
.........By the way, Stuh's insistence that he is merely being honest and blunt with others confuses such qualities with rudeness. We have plenty of honest and blunt people here--JoefromChicago--comes immediately to mind. But he cannot be characterized as rude. He may challenge another's logic, but he would never deign to dissect their grammar.

jlN; with no wish to be the least bit 'patronizing', metaphorically, i would suggest that you increase your intake of 'intellectual calcium'; your sensitivity 'carapace' needs to be hardened;
stuh's comments are definitely spilling from harsh, into 'rude' territory, and i regret that they have upset you. But his content is, to me, worth the aggravation of wading through a little chaff to get at the gems. I suggest a gradual campaign of 'example', in demonstrating our unwillingness to be distracted, and genuine interest in assessing any ideas on their merits, and not by the tenor of their source.
I, having known 'you' for some time, expect no less.
0 Replies