Standing In Line For Hours

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:41 am
Thousands of people are standing in line for 6+ hours in order to walk past Reagans casket and pay their respects. As much as I admire the man, I don't have it in me to stand in line for that long and pay my respects. Over the years, I have stood in long lines (for several hours) to buy tickets to see performers like AC/DC, Boston, Pat Benetar, 10,000 Maniacs and The Cure.

Who would you stand in line for hours to see (either to pay your respects, get an autograph or get concert tickets?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,818 • Replies: 23
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:44 am
If I were you, I'd go get in line. The next full state funeral will be for G.H.W. Bush. Carter will probably die first, but he won't have a full military funeral.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:45 am
Absolutely nobody. I hate standing in line waiting for a table for 20 minutes at Ryan's Steakhouse. The longest I have ever stood in line for anything was to get tickets for my wife to see Colin Raye in concert. I think I stood in that line for about 1 1/2 hours, and only then because I got the time wrong about when the tickets were going on sale. But I did get 2nd row seats and she really, really, really did appreciate it. Smile
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:48 am
cjhsa wrote:
If I were you, I'd go get in line. The next full state funeral will be for G.H.W. Bush. Carter will probably die first, but he won't have a full military funeral.

All presidents are entitled to full military honors, because they all served as commanders-in-chief of the armed forces. Furthermore, Carter was a graduate of Annapolis and served in the US Navy.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 11:54 am
cjhsa wrote:

I think Ford will be the next president to die. He looks and is very frail. Bush One is in good health. Heck, he's still jumping out of airplanes. Carter is in good health too, I believe.

I'm too narcisistic to ever stand in line for hours for anything other than hearing a good rock and roll concert. Cool
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:25 pm
If anyone deserves a funeral with full honors, it is Carter. Perhaps his presidency was less than spectacular. His life as a whole has shown he is an extraordinary man of character.

He is one of the few public figures who holds to (and actually lives) religious values I can respect. He has continually worked for the poor. He is one of the few true peacemakers.

There are precious few public figures that would inspire me to wait in line for hours to pay respects. Carter is certainly the only one mentioned so far.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
Why do Carters religious beliefs garner more respect than Bush's?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:28 pm
I kinda forgot about Ford.. Wink And I'm from Michigan! Bad cjhsa.

I read somewhere that the funerals for all outgoing presidents are typically planned during their last months in office, and that all of them except Clinton did so. Anybody else hear this?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:34 pm
I heard that too.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 12:46 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Why do Carters religious beliefs garner more respect than Bush's?

Read The gospel of Matthew, especially chapters 5,6,7. Then contrast the actions (both inside and outside of the presidency) of Bush and Carter to the words and life of Christ. Of course, deciding who garners my respect is a personal thing. The Jesus portrayed in the gospels does garner my respect.

Christ was concerned about helping the poor, love, forgiveness, peace and the kingdom of God. Christ was against vengence, didn't speak to kindly of the rich and eschewed violence.

"Love your enemies" is not a part of the Bush doctrine. Nor are policies that help the poor.

I feel Carter's idealism and integrity hurt his presidency. I still deeply respect him for it. His policies tried to create peace and help the poor.

But, the real test of Carter's religion was his very successful work after he left the presidency. He has remained very active working for justice, peace and poverty issues.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:34 pm
I can't think of anything or anyone that would get me to stand in line 6+ hours for.

As to the difference between Bush and Carter. Carter is a man of principle and lives to what he believes. Bush on the other hand is unprincipled and believes only in that which will get him elected.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
How about Ray Charles? He died today. Sad
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 01:50 pm
Where is he lying in state? Embarrassed
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
Ray Charles? That is sad.

Odd bit of news, that about clinton being the only not to plan his funeral. Must be something to the old saying about men having affairs because they fear death. (heard that on moonstruck)
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:50 pm
If a certain former boss of mine died, and I was anywhere near where he was being waked, I would definitely wait a long time for the pleasure of viewing his corpse.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
no damn body
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:14 pm
I'm so sorry to hear Ray Charles passed. His version of America The Beautiful is one of the prettiest ever done. I hope they play it at his funeral. R.I.P. Ray.

George...LOL...I hear ya. :wink:

au1929...right on. Jimmy Carter's work with Habitat for Humanity is wonderful. I respect all the former presidents even though I did not always agree with their politics.

When GWBush passes away I will not shed a tear...of that I am sure.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:21 pm
What I keep wondering about, is how the Honor Guard can stand still for 5 straight hours. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:24 pm
Miller wrote:
What I keep wondering about, is how the Honor Guard can stand still for 5 straight hours. Rolling Eyes

Training and mental discipline.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes... especially in that heat.LOL. Mr. Green

I heard that one of those guys passed out from the heat yesterday.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2004 04:28 pm
doglover wrote:
Miller wrote:

Training and mental discipline.

I wouldn't last 5 minutes... especially in that heat.LOL. Mr. Green

I heard that one of those guys passed out from the heat yesterday.

I heard that too!

I'm good for about 1-2 hours standing still. After that, I probably couldn't move either my legs or toes.
0 Replies