Do you think that such words as "chairperson", "spokesman" seem to be too artificial?

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:43 am
Do you think that such words as "chairperson", "spokesman" seem to be too artificial and pay unnecessary attention to the problem of sex descrimination?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:44 am
@Ekaterina,
No, except I think you meant to write 'spokesperson' as seeming too artificial.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:44 am
@Ekaterina,
not at all - as long as you remember spokesperson is more commonly used
0 Replies

Ekaterina

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 10:57 am
@ossobuco,
Sure, spokesperson. Thank you for opinion)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 01:05 pm
@Ekaterina,
They are not artificial - they are correct as the chairperson of a meeting could be a man or a woman. Similarly the spokesperson for a company could be male or female.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 01:07 pm
@Ekaterina,
Are you doing a similar analysis of languages like german which have, in effect, three genders in use? Male, female, neutral.

There are a number of languages which apply genders to everything. That is not standard in English. It is not like French or German where things like plates and cats have genders (and not necessarily the same gender in different languages).

English is a comparatively genderless language.

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2015 01:43 pm
Actually, "chair" is in fairly common usage, with the same meaning as "chairman", "-woman", "-person", but with no gender at all (although every actual physical chair I've ever seen was in fact neuter).
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 09:12 am
@Ekaterina,
Words matter. So do terms and forms of address. On the other hand, since sex discrimination is usually women wanting to be treated as men's equals, being called "chairman" even if female is that very equality. If they expect "Chairwoman" then they're surrending the equality by using a differnet form of address. As in the military, every officer is "Sir" regardless of sex. Hear "Ma'am" a lot too, and technically that's ok, but "Sir" is technically the proper form. To me, "Ma'am" always emphasized a difference and consequently female officers who prefered that always felt less to me than those that wanted "Sir" and to be "truly" equal.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 01:45 pm
@Ekaterina,
I don't think that words should matter as much as actual substance when it comes to sex discrimination. Take Madam President for example. Many people want a female US president. This is fine, of course, as long as Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders have an equal chance to fill that role.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:04 pm
@ehBeth,
Heh, you can also call a person "the chair".
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Sorry, Monterey, I missed your post.

Here, move over your chair and we can talk.
0 Replies