Why did Obama snub the European leaders in Paris?

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 07:34 pm
@glitterbag,
It would be nice if not every thread I participate in where attempted to be diverted into threads about Hawkeye. Do you by chance have anything to say on freedom of speech? Satire? Immigration? Jihad against the west? French Society? Is lampooning islam hate speech? Is it if all religions are lampooned?

I understand that girls just want to have fun and one of your favorite pastimes is being a bitch, but your act tends to wear thin. Not to mention we have long had too many playground bullies around here, we dont need another one.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 07:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Charlie Hebdo was and remains a proud anti-racist newspaper. To call it racist is at best misinformed, at worse malevolent.

Yes, but we Americans are by and large not very well informed, or bright. I have no doubt but that the majority of Americans do not support the publishing of such matterial, largely on our opinions that it is racist and spreads hate. Obama going would have been a political problem for him at home with his base, as it is largely the American left that supports suppression of speech that does not advance their utopian dreams.

Racism is a false issue, a red hearing. What CANNOT be done in the US is mocking religion so outrageously.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 08:06 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
What CANNOT be done in the US is mocking religion so outrageously.

we are developing a very long list of ideas/people/organizations who can not be mocked. We have become very sense of humor challenged. You know the old saying that sometimes there is no choice but to either laugh or cry? We almost always pick crying. And screaming.

I for one will start to have some confidence that America is on the mend when our comedy gets better, when jokes are no longer filtered through the thought police.
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 08:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I for one will start to have some confidence that America is on the mend when our comedy gets better, when jokes are no longer filtered through the thought police.

Free speech cuts both ways. A comic in the US can be has outrageous as he wants and those he offends can be out outspoken as they want in condemning it. What you seem to be suggesting is the "thought police" must be silent when offended. I don't see how that is free speech.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 08:47 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
A comic in the US can be has outrageous as he wants and those he offends can be out outspoken as they want in condemning it
You are the one making the choice to be offended, nobody is making you. Maybe you should be offended less and laughing more.
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2015 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
You have the right to say that and I have the right to say I am offended. Free speech. The time to worry about free speech is when either the government steps in to silence either of us.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 06:54 am
@engineer,
Offending idiots is the goal, so go ahead.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:22 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

One reason why the Charlie cartoons have not been reprinted here is that most people would consider them highly offensive, (They're available online easily enough and have been posted on FaceBook, Twitter and elsewhere.) I will defend the magazine's right to print whatever it wants; that does not mean that I necessarily endorse their point of view. Much of Charlie's content is, alas, sadly racist.

Likewise, news would offend many people, which is why CNN doesn't bother with providing them but fortunately I hear that some news are available online...
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:29 am
@contrex,
Yes, i remember now. Nasty it was.

Calling Charlie racist is just a way to hide one's own cowardice.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 08:18 am
@ossobuco,
Hey, nobody likes to be the butt of a joke. All the French politicians who are now crying for 'liberté assassinée' have hated Charlie Hebdo at one point or another, when they were mocked.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 09:53 am
As an aside: Netanyahu was asked not to attend the Paris march (keeping the Israel-Palestine conflict out), agreed, but finally decided to go there ... as part of his election campaign. And thus, Abbas was invited as well.

Haaretz report
Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I wish he had stayed home. This is really not helpful.
djjd62

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:11 am
is it even possible to snub a European?

most i've met in my life had a definite sense of self that seem to put them beyond anything so petty
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 10:35 am
Interesting read here, but this paragraph struck me as particularly relevant to this thread.

Quote:
Obama’s response to these crises—or, you could say, his method of leadership—has been surprisingly consistent. He has a legendarily, almost fanatically placid temperament. He has now spent eight years, counting from the start of his first presidential campaign, keeping his head while others were losing theirs, and avoiding rhetorical overreach at the risk of underreach. A few months ago, the crisis was the Ebola outbreak, and Obama faced a familiar criticism: He had botched the putatively crucial “performative” aspects of his job. “Six years in,” BusinessWeek reported, “it’s clear that Obama’s presidency is largely about adhering to intellectual rigor—regardless of the public’s emotional needs.”

This President is generally not going to drop everything to tend to "the public's emotional needs." I guess the question is do you feel that is a key requirement for the job? I know some people think it clearly is. I remember Bush Sr. getting criticized for staying in Washington getting aid approved instead of touring the destruction of Hurricane Hugo. My thought (sitting in a destroyed Charleston) was I'd rather he do work in Washington than ride around in a helicopter sucking up resources for dog and pony shows.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

It does make a difference to be able to joke as you wish, without having to fret about being brought to court or incarcerated. Milan Kundera's The Joke comes to mind.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
“It’s fair to say that we should have sent someone with a higher profile to be there,” Josh Earnest, the White House spokesman, said at his daily briefing with reporters at the White House.

Asked his response to critics who say a person with more prominence than the United States ambassador to France should have attended, he said: “We agree.”

But Claudine Ripert-Landler, the head of communications for President François Hollande of France, said that Mr. Obama had not snubbed the march.

“President Obama supported France in their common struggle against terrorism,” she said on Monday, adding that Mr. Obama’s visit to the French embassy was “a rather exceptional gesture.”

“Mr. Obama’s attentions have been very important to Mr. Hollande,” she said.

Mr. Earnest declined to say whether the president had considered attending the march himself or considered sending Vice President Joseph R. Biden, or to detail the conversations that led to the decision not to do so. But he cited scheduling and security concerns as playing a part.

“The security requirements around a presidential visit, or even a vice-presidential visit are onerous,” Mr. Earnest said, noting that security would have had to secure a large outdoor area, potentially making it harder for other people to attend. “It would have been very difficult to do so without significantly impacting the ability of common citizens to participate.”

He also said, "We’re talking about a march that came together with essentially 36 hours notice.”

The absence of Mr. Obama or any other senior United States official in the wake of the shootings of 17 people there in attacks last week at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo and at a kosher supermarket — the American ambassador to France, Jane D. Hartley, participated in the rally — prompted questions from Republican lawmakers and some foreign policy analysts who said there should have been a prominent American leader on hand for the most striking show of solidarity in the West against Islamic extremism since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.
Source
Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Honestly, the French could not care less who was appointed by which government to attend the marche. Nobody could care less if Obama came. This is not a political event. While the solidarity of the PEOPLE from the whole world is very very touching and much welcome, the attempts by politicians to anoint themselves with the sacred myrrh of freedom of expression Charlie style are pretty pathetic.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:04 pm
@Olivier5,
The marches républicaines were organised all over France to honour the victims of the Charlie Hebdo shooting, the Montrouge shooting, and the Hypercacher kosher supermarket shooting, and also to voice support for freedom of speech.
Without doubt, it was a "coup diplomatique" for Hollande to invite all those foreign leaders and envoys - but 300,000 rallied in Lyon and even 10,000 in Dammartin-en-Goële.
It shouldn't have been stage for politicians in Paris, IMHO.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
We have something similar to the marche républicaine tomorrow in Berlin, just one and only on a national basis: a rally for an open and tolerant Germany, organised by Muslim and Turkish community groups.
Our president, the chancellor, most members of the federal government, many from the state governments, members of opposition parties and the highest representatives of the large two Christian churches and the Central Council of Jews will attend as well.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 02:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
the attempts by politicians to anoint themselves with the sacred myrrh of freedom of expression Charlie style are pretty pathetic.

I agree wholeheartedly with this; I have thought this very much over the last few days.