what are the reasons why england conquered many countries?

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 05:01 am
@hingehead,
Those factors were certainly important, but keep in mind the level of detail here--certainly, in a comprehensive history class, they should be at least alluded to. However, i doubt that Henry the Navigator was influenced by the fall of the vestige of the Roman Empire to the Turks, as it occurred in 1453, and Henry's interest likely dates to his father's capture of Ceuta in Morrocco in 1415--almost 40 years before the fall of Constantinople.

I left North America out the picture, too, even though European fishermen, whalers and seal hunters had been going there for centuries. However, they generally weren't telling anyone else, because they didn't want any competition for resources. I'm sure the Portuguese tried to keep their sudden new sources of gold dust and ivory, and, eventually, of spices, a secret, too. But when you suddenly have lots of valuable items to sell, at discount prices the Italians can't been, and are getting rich off of it, the cat is out of the bag by then anyway.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 05:11 am
I should also point out the other, very popular "spice" the Portuguese had to offer after "discovering" the Azores (known to the Romans, and proably visited by Roman mariners)--sugar. They did well at first growing wheat and making wine--but when one year's grape crop failed, Henry decided to hedge his bets by expanding his inventory, and started to grow sugar cane and sugar beets. Europe had few sources for sugar, was mad for it, and would pay high prices for it.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 07:03 am
@bsje,
The same reasons Spain conquered many countries. Because they could.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:02 pm
It depends of what use we give to the term "conquering".

For example, up to the 80's, UK had the 80% control of all the communication media of the US.

80%.

I guess that now, the US might be free of such "dominium" of the UK, but who knows, because under a puppet US owner of communication media, there might be the real one UK owner pulling the strings.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Jan, 2015 01:12 pm
@Setanta,
Henry the Navigator introduced sugar to Madeira in 1425, while the Spanish introduced sugar cane to the Canary Islands a bit later.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 01:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, i think that would have been rather difficult--Henry's captain didn't "discover" the Azores until 1427. That's what i see, at least, when i check online.
Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 01:38 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:
There is one contributing factor that he left out that I find interesting - and that is the Venetian monopoly on the European spice trade

I thought i'd emphasize this, lest people thing i underrated Hinge's point. I'd say, in fact, that this was the prime motive for Henry. Although it was nearly 40 years after Henry's death, when da Gama returned in 1499 with a cargo of spices, worth more than 60 times the entire cost of the expedition, they had finally cut out the Italian middlemen, and, in fact, they had cut out the Arabs, too.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 01:59 am
@Setanta,
Henry's captain, João Gonçalvez Zarco rediscovered Porto Santo, and in 1420 Madeira.
Actually, this island group had originally been discovered by Genoese pioneers before 1351 or perhaps even before 1339. But this knowledge got lost.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 02:45 am
OK, i see the difference--i was referring to the Azores, and you were referring to Madeira . . . gotcha . . .
izzythepush

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 04:18 am
@Setanta,
This should help.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2015 04:47 am
The Portuguese did well selling wine to the English. They had this muddy, heavy red wine which the English bought in the city of Oporto, and came to call port wine. When they were really feeling expansive (and well-heeled), they served the Madeira.
carloslebaron

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:42 am
Quote:
what are the reasons why england conquered many countries?

Arrogance.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:33 am
@carloslebaron,
Arrogance alone is worth jack shite, Charles.

When you have a few bristling warships to back things up, arrogance takes a bit of a back seat as far as the natives are concerned.

Any Spanish, French or Dutch in you, Charlie?

If so, your lot were at it just as much as the Brits. We were just a bit better at it most of the time.
Builder

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:06 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
We were just a bit better at it most of the time.

Bullshit.
Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:26 am
Carlos never lets mere blind ignorance stand in the way of having a decided opinion on historical subjects.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 09:12 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

Quote:
We were just a bit better at it most of the time.

Bullshit.

Apart from being rude, what else can you offer to add credibility to your indignance.

Read this first and then tell me how my statement was wrong.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire
raprap

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 08:17 pm
@Setanta,
My dad used to say the proof of British humor was their food. Port would only adds to that sense of humor.

BTW I seem to prefer stout with my fish and chips.

Rap
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 01:53 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
Read this first and then tell me how my statement was wrong.

A wiki post? ROFL.

Declaring new territory to be Terra Nullius, and slaughtering defenceless natives is nothing to be proud of. Niether is spreading syphilis and smallpox.

Pretentious and pompous went out last century, yaswas.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 02:00 am
@Builder,
Show me where I was proud and pompous.

I was stating fact. Try doing a bit of research first before being nasty, idiot.
Builder

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2015 02:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
I was stating fact.

Hahahahahah!

You're a special kind of human, right?
0 Replies