Jurassic Parks and Recreation!

oralloy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:09 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
complete with the cute little baby dino,

I think that was a flashback to when Blue was a baby.

Here's another trailer. Make sure to notice the mosasaur lurking under the surfers.

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 02:11 am
@oralloy,
this series jumped the shark 3 episodes ago. They cant tell a pleurosaurid from an F-350.
Ill bet even Chrichton is rolling around in disgust.

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 08:51 am
@farmerman,
Jurassic World got a "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/jurassic_world/

#24 of all time at the box office too. The original is #17 on the list.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 09:11 am
@oralloy,
I loved the original, it was sheeer "Chritonish".
They gradually got dummer and dummerer till the "Jurassic World" .So any new ones are barely worth a stream on Netflix whenever it shows up. Im in no hurry .
I watch movies based only on what I like, not some fool polling device.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 10:53 am
@farmerman,
I won’t be watching Jurassic anything anymore unless they put the feathers back on the dinosaurs. As they are now it feels like I’m watching plucked chickens run around on screen.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 11:09 am
@rosborne979,
I think it is only the raptors and T-rex that had feathers. I don't think there is evidence of feathers on most of the other dinosaurs.

Although it's been awhile since I've read anything about the subject so they might have made some new discoveries.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 11:35 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/45/Distribution_of_feathers_in_Dinosauria.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Distribution_of_feathers_in_Dinosauria.jpg
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 02:36 pm
@oralloy,
feathers is a small issue. Thyeve got mot of theor dinosaurs from time periods OTHER than the Jurassic. Where did they get a mosquito to bite a water dweller of the late K? Ive already dispensed with the science of retaining DNA that is editable.

Crichton was a scientist as well as a physician. These guys are cartoonists.
oralloy

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 03:04 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Thyeve got mot of theor dinosaurs from time periods OTHER than the Jurassic.

Why is that a problem?

T-rex and the raptors are late Cretaceous aren't they? They were fine in the original movie.

farmerman wrote:
Where did they get a mosquito to bite a water dweller of the late K?

The mosasaur?

Why couldn't it have been bitten by a mosquito?

farmerman wrote:
Ive already dispensed with the science of retaining DNA that is editable.

Well obviously it isn't possible or else Jurassic Park would be real and not fiction.

But that is the case with all science fiction, including the original Jurassic Park.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 03:42 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I think it is only the raptors and T-rex that had feathers. I don't think there is evidence of feathers on most of the other dinosaurs.

Although it's been awhile since I've read anything about the subject so they might have made some new discoveries.

That may be true but the Raptors and T-Rex were pretty much the stars of the show. So I would prefer if they got them right (or at least as "right" as we currently understand them).

Besides, I think it would be a better film with feathered dinosaurs.
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 03:45 pm
@rosborne979,
maybe pink.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 04:56 pm
@oralloy,
I had been pretty much of an asswipe about T rex, gallimimus, and triceratops in the original movie. Crichton DID have ALLOSAURUS in his book as the big killer in hi book but his editor gave him crap about nobody over 12 would know what an Allosaur even was, so they cheated over Chrichton's objections .(He gve a seminar on writing about a dinosaur prk at a Philly library talk when the book first came out
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 05:15 pm
@oralloy,
My point was that I already dispensed with my own "reality" by accepting the mosquito borne DNA trapped in Amber as a viable commodity. (They had already done that research and found it implausible -so there was that aspect of attempts at making the science comport with more than just the science fiction).
I find science fiction satisfying only if its either total fantasy, or if it has its science close to , or at, reality and is more believable.
It was breaking the rules of biochem with some explanations that appear entertainingly reasonable. (Chrichton spent an inoordinate time explaining re-editing genetic material because they were left with "dross" material and the chains were re-edited with other type DNA. (This was actually drawn into the plot which Chrichton used to somewhat explain why the dinos could breed under parthenogenesis)
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2018 06:15 pm
@farmerman,
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 10:34 am
@tsarstepan,
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
Elephant rounds punch straight narrow holes because the bullet needs to stay intact as it passes through thick heavy skin.

I doubt that a T-rex has such thick skin, so I'd suggest that the model should be the sort of rounds that are used for stopping a charge by a very large bear.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:37 pm
oralloy

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 08:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I did in fact pretend that 2 and 3 didn't happen.

I never saw 2 and 3 to begin with. And after reviewing the Wikipedia descriptions of all the movies, I decided that the best way to prepare for Fallen Kingdom was to watch the 3D version of the original, and then the 3D version of Jurassic World.

If anyone is curious about the quality of the 3D conversion of the original, it was pretty good. They did a decent job of converting it.
farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 11:53 am
@oralloy,
all I wanna know is ,WAS THERE EVEN A STORY BEHIND THIS ISSUE OF THE JURASSIC PARK COMIX??

I recall seeing the forst cinerama when I was a weeee kid. We went to Philly by train and went to the huge Art Moerne 'STANLEY" theater. Then we watched a buncha scenes of riding the roller cpaster, underwater , an other "Count Floyd" 3D crap. To this day I wanted those movie hours back.

Ever since they decided to make the first sequel, tis entire series has been a major dissapointment. Unlike Godfather II , this movie cartoon has gotten more like Jaws 14.

I wish that Chrichton could have lived to see how this great concept has been fucked over by subbing CGI and effects for the good substance of his original.

remember JP I was written and filmed in a time before we really unerstood the limitations and opportunities of genetics. Mary SChweitzers work could have been incorporated in JP II and up. These films are targeted mostly for kids and kids are more inquisitive than these flicks assume.

Jurassic Park (I) was a real masterstroke. The cgi served the plot , not the other way around.

s far as feathers, I hve to agree with Rosborne, just cause you know its sci fi and fantasy , theres no good reason why science should take a way- back seat.
oralloy

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2018 03:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
all I wanna know is, WAS THERE EVEN A STORY BEHIND THIS ISSUE OF THE JURASSIC PARK COMIX??

Not really. I didn't notice much in the way of a compelling storyline. And note the Rotten Tomatoes scores that I copied below.

On the other hand, this is the middle movie of a planned trilogy, and there was certainly quite a twist at the end.

Major Fallen Kingdom spoiler (in white text):
At the end of Fallen Kingdom, all of the dinosaurs (including the T-Rex) are set free in the United States, without any warning given to the people or government. Presumably, considerable mayhem will result from this.

farmerman wrote:
Jurassic Park (I) was a real masterstroke. The cgi served the plot , not the other way around.

You might like Jurassic World (2015). It pretty much duplicates the plot of the first movie, just in a new theme park built on the ruins of the old one.

By way of quality comparison, here are the current Rotten Tomatoes scores:
Jurassic Park (1993): 92% certified fresh
The Lost World (1997): 53% splat
Jurassic Park III (2001): 50% splat
Jurassic World (2015): 71% fresh
Fallen Kingdom (2018): 51% splat

I would say that it would be fair to draw a conclusion that 2015 is not as good as the original, but is still worth seeing. Just note what I said about it being the same plot all over again.

The 3D conversion of the 1993 original that they released in 2013 is good as well. They put in some time and effort, and did a good job converting it to 3D.

If I was going to play these movies for someone who had never seen any of them before, I'd show them the 3D versions of 1993 and 2015, and skip all the others.

farmerman wrote:
As far as feathers, I have to agree with Rosborne, just cause you know its sci fi and fantasy, theres no good reason why science should take a way- back seat.

Not all of them should be portrayed with feathers though. Allosaurus had scales, for example.

At least, it had scales according to our current understanding. I suppose scientists could discover otherwise in the future.
0 Replies