Mean, spiteful, vindictive and completely pathetic

FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:11 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

We will agree to disagree. I find no need to allow a serious tag drag an innocent visitor into some racist drivel or sexist drivel. I'd be surprised if anyone new to the site "gets" what tags are used for or even that they are there. I really don't get them and in fact haven't used them to find anything but maybe once or twice.

I wish for civility here. I would support a more proactive monitoring of the system. I can't believe that oralliar is still here after the abuse he's laid on me and ehBeth and others. I cannot believe that Pamala Rosa is still here. That Coldfart is still here after the nasty and outrageous abuse he's laid on RexRed. That Hawkeye10's "nigger" thread is still up. I mean, how does this and other racist, sexist, Islamophobic crap not turn off the new members but my tags will?

I will do what we can agree to do in concert but something needs to be done about the barbarians let in past the gates.

It's a helluva dilemma. I mean, I strongly disagree with the mean-spirited racism, sexism, etc, that certain people post, but I'm also strongly in favor of free speech, even when it's something I strongly disagree with. Tough one.

I used to be a mod on another forum where they tried to draw the line at personal attacks on another member. It just didn't work. People kept finding loopholes and indirect ways of attacking other members, anyway. People were getting suspended on a daily basis. That forum is all but defunct now. I like how moderation is kept to a bare minimum here, even if it means having to endure people expressing some pretty obnoxious ideas. I know certain people consider some of the things I post to be obnoxious... http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/eusa_shifty.gif
hawkeye10

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:23 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
. I like how moderation is kept to a bare minimum here,
Other than for removal of some of the hate tags and clear spam we dont have moderation here. You seem to be confused.

Quote:
even if it means having to endure people expressing some pretty obnoxious ideas.

Explain if you can how an obnoxious idea being read by you and then passing through your brain causes you harm. Discomfort sure, but that is likely good for you, the obnoxious idea generator is then providing you a service.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:25 pm
A jury system also helps. The other forum I belong to has monitors(i am one) and a jury system and its larger than this forum. I was kicked out of a2k once for mentioning the name of this other site for "spamming". Lets just say it rhymes Democratic Underground.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:29 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
That Hawkeye10's "nigger" thread is still up. I mean, how does this and other racist, sexist, Islamophobic crap not turn off the new members but my tags will?

Maybe there are people out there who desire to talk about ideas in spite of what ever slanderous labels you put on them. You never know, people can fool you on what they like, and sometimes they like different things than you like. Variety is the spice of life, embrace it, and leave other people alone when they like different things than you do. Take a look at how the whole of Mao's efforts to create his moral utopia in China worked (did not work), do we really need to try that here? Are we that stupid?
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:31 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
. I like how moderation is kept to a bare minimum here,
Other than for removal of some of the hate tags and clear spam we dont have moderation here. You seem to be confused.

What part of "bare minimum" needs to be explained to you?

Quote:
Quote:
even if it means having to endure people expressing some pretty obnoxious ideas.

Explain if you can how an obnoxious idea being read by you and then passing through your brain causes you harm. Discomfort sure, but that is likely good for you, the obnoxious idea generator is then providing you a service.

It's a matter of degree. Not many people join or stay in a forum where most of the ideas expressed disgust them. The forum where I used to be a mod is pretty much empty of anyone but a few people who constantly troll each other. When I left, not even the mods were very interested in keeping it going. Everybody else got tired of the constant bickering and one-upsmanship and left.
ossobuco

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:36 pm
@FBM,
ahem - completely shitty tags are horrible for this website.

No, I'm not for censorship. I'm for better tagging.

giujohn

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
The overly personal animosity that keeps floating around A2K really lowers the quality of the place

Too late Hawk...it was gone b4 I came on board.
hawkeye10

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:39 pm
@FBM,
Quote:
Not many people join or stay in a forum where most of the ideas expressed disgust them.

Says who? And most of the ideas here suck?? Most of the ideas here from what I have seen are fairly mainstream, likely it is that the variety of ideas that Americans hold is unknown to you because you are stupid, and there are more than a few who want to keep you stupid, and they drive the media.

Quote:
Everybody else got tired of the constant bickering and one-upsmanship and left.
Was it the debate over ideas, or was it the personal attacks? Are problem here is the personal attacks, which happen because of the quality of people involved. Inforced politeness would help a little on that, but I have never seen it done while preserving the ability to debate ideas.
0 Replies

FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:41 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know how tagging works here and rarely pay attention to tags unless someone mentions them. And I don't even know who the mods are.
Below viewing threshold (view)
hawkeye10

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:46 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

To be honest, I don't even know how tagging works here and rarely pay attention to tags unless someone mentions them. And I don't even know who the mods are.

Robert really needs to come back and tell us why he did not foresee that tags would be used to broadcast hate rather than sift the post subject matter. Naiveté is my guess.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:54 pm
@FBM,
None of us do, that I know of. I suppose we conjecture. In any case, I don't wish to be one and never have. Just imagine it...
Total slobovia.. with recipes.

Tagging is easy.

If you are not the one starting the thread, look at the headline, and you'll see Tag this topic. Click.

If you are the one starting it, there's a space below for adding tags. Those can matter, it seems. Click.
0 Replies

firefly

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 09:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

The obnoxious ideas, and behaviors, being expressed around here are not good for those exposed to them, they're more like farts--possibly satisfying to those responsible for them, just plain foul air to everyone else.

Having people around here symbolically farting, some of them quite often, which is how I view it, doesn't cause me, or anyone else, harm either, but it sure stinks the place up, makes many want to seek better air quality elsewhere, and the stench makes this place unattractive to newcomers who might wander in.
firefly

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:

The only time I really notice tags is when they are funny, and often more creative than anything posted in the thread.

But, I wouldn't consider those "shitty". Wink
ossobuco

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:13 pm
@FBM,
I said my bit. Tags are for info re a thread. People who use them for turnabout are : mistaken, lacking understanding, misinformed, pieces of ****, in dire staits
FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I had a look around at the tags issue, and yeah, I can see how they're sometimes abused. I'm guessing that it's not possible to delete someone else's tag. Hmm.
glitterbag

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:37 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:
I wish for civility here.

Oh, puhleeeezzzze. You are one disingenous POS. You live at your computer and for any opportunity to foist your twisted, biased, race baiting minstrations upon this forum. You perpetuate hate and derision. You are a BOOB and the posterboy for all of BOOBDOM

Only humorless jerks post in red and huge letters. Take a chill pill for God's sake, this is a community. And that means, you are not Mother Superior or the conscious of this forum.
ossobuco

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:45 pm
@FBM,
It is possible. Add new tags,
FBM

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Ahhh....cool. http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/icon_thumright.gif
ossobuco

Sat 17 Jan, 2015 10:55 pm
@firefly,
Ah,
Read here much?
0 Replies