How to win arguments

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:38 pm
How to win arguments

I argue very well. Ask any of my remaining friends. I can win an argument on any topic, against any opponent. People know this, and steer clear of me at parties. Often, as a sign of their great respect, they don't even invite me. You too can win arguments. Simply follow these rules:

-Drink Liquor.

Suppose you're at a party and some hotshot intellectual is expounding on the economy of Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic drink like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot enthralls your date. But if you drink several large martinis, you'll discover you have STRONG VIEWS about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may leave the room.

-Make things up.

Suppose, in the Peruvian economy argument, you are trying to prove Peruvians are underpaid, a position you base solely on the fact that YOU are underpaid, and you're damned if you're going to let a bunch of Peruvians be better off. DON'T say: "I think Peruvians are underpaid." Say: "The average Peruvian's salary in 1981 dollars adjusted for the revised tax base is $1,452.81 per annum, which is $836.07 before the mean gross poverty level."

NOTE: Always make up exact figures.

If an opponent asks you where you got your information, make THAT up, too. Say: "This information comes from Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study for the Buford Commission published May 9, 1982. Didn't you read it?" Say this in the same tone of voice you would use to say "You left your soiled underwear in my bath house."

-Use meaningless but weightly-sounding words and phrases.

Memorize this list:
Let me put it this way
In terms of
Vis-a-vis
Per se
As it were
Qua
So to speak
You should also memorize some Latin abbreviations such as "Q.E.D.," "e.g.," and "i.e." These are all short for "I speak Latin, and you do not."

Here's how to use these words and phrases. Suppose you want to say: "Peruvians would like to order appetizers more often, but they don't have enough money."

You never win arguments talking like that. But you WILL win if you say: "Let me put it this way. In terms of appetizers vis-a-vis Peruvians qua Peruvians, they would like to order them more often, so to speak, but they do not have enough money per se, as it were. Q.E.D."

Only a fool would challenge that statement.

-Use snappy and irrelevant comebacks.

You need an arsenal of all-purpose irrelevent phrases to fire back at your opponents when they make valid points. The best are:

You're begging the question.
You're being defensive.
Don't compare apples and oranges.
What are your parameters?
This last one is especially valuable. Nobody, other than mathematicians, has the vaguest idea what "parameters" means.

Here's how to use your comebacks:

You say: "As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873..."
Your opponent says: "Lincoln died in 1865."
You say: "You're begging the question."

OR

You say: "Liberians, like most Asians..."
Your opponents says: "Liberia is in Africa."
You say: "You're being defensive."

-Compare your opponent to Adolf Hitler.

This is your heavy artillery, for when your opponent is obviously right and you are spectacularly wrong. Bring Hitler up subtly. Say: "That sounds suspiciously like something Adolf Hitler might say" or "You certainly do remind me of Adolf Hitler."

So that's it: you now know how to out-argue anybody. Do not try to pull any of this on people who generally carry weapons.

NOTE: Do not try to pull any of this on people who generally carry weapons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,948 • Replies: 76
No top replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:41 pm
You left out accusing people of being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. that will effectively sidetrack most sensible discussions.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Quote:
You say: "As Abraham Lincoln said in 1873..."
Your opponent says: "Lincoln died in 1865."
You say: "You're begging the question."

Actually, begging the question is a well-understood logical fallacy that doesn't have anything to do with your quote.

From http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html:

Quote:
Also Known as: Circular Reasoning, Reasoning in a Circle, Petitio Principii.

Description of Begging the Question
Begging the Question is a fallacy in which the premises include the claim that the conclusion is true or (directly or indirectly) assume that the conclusion is true. This sort of "reasoning" typically has the following form.

Premises in which the truth of the conclusion is claimed or the truth of the conclusion is assumed (either directly or indirectly).
Claim C (the conclusion) is true.
This sort of "reasoning" is fallacious because simply assuming that the conclusion is true (directly or indirectly) in the premises does not constitute evidence for that conclusion. Obviously, simply assuming a claim is true does not serve as evidence for that claim. This is especially clear in particularly blatant cases: "X is true. The evidence for this claim is that X is true."

Some cases of question begging are fairly blatant, while others can be extremely subtle.

Examples of Begging the Question

Bill: "God must exist."
Jill: "How do you know."
Bill: "Because the Bible says so."
Jill: "Why should I believe the Bible?"
Bill: "Because the Bible was written by God."

"If such actions were not illegal, then they would not be prohibited by the law."

"The belief in God is universal. After all, everyone believes in God."

Interviewer: "Your resume looks impressive but I need another reference."
Bill: "Jill can give me a good reference."
Interviewer: "Good. But how do I know that Jill is trustworthy?"
Bill: "Certainly. I can vouch for her."

Other than that your list seems pretty complete to me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:53 pm
One more, if you are having a political argument, say something inflammatory and patently untrue about Clinton or Bush, depending on what side of the fence you're on.

For instance, if someone says that Bush's tax cuts go to the wealthy only, which is bad for everyone, you come back with something like "Yeah, well Clinton was a rapist and a child molester!"

That'll get 'em.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:57 pm
Our esteemed Joe, who hails from Chicago, advocated what I still hold to be the best argument technique mentioned on this website.

For instructions, along with links to helpful graphics see the posts following this link.

Remember not to forget the nuts.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 02:02 pm
I have to admit that is a very effective strategy. I would suggest that we go ahead and make me a dictator for a year so I can get rid of all the lawyers first though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:35 pm
Tell them they need to get laid.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:08 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
You left out accusing people of being racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. that will effectively sidetrack most sensible discussions.

Don't forget "liberal", "unpatriotic", or "anti-christian".

(We wouldn't want to be one-sided would we?)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:20 pm
Sounds like a bunch of you really need to get laid.

I WIN! I WIN!!!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:47 pm
The best way to prove your point in a political discussion is to accuse your opponent of being unpatriotic.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:50 pm
Well ebrown raises a good point re fairness. So lets throw in accusations of being neocon, right wing Christian activist and partisan as good ways to derail a good conversation.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:52 pm
Just call them a poo-poo head and walk away. If that doesn't surprise your opponent into forfeiting the argument, I don't know what will.
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:15 am
I will offer the following suggestions for winning an argument:

l. Appraising the mood and desires of the audience.
(That would make this venue positively poisonous for any conservative since it is mainly populated by Liberals)

2. When an arguer is caught in a mistake, he must trivialize its significance.

3. A thorough knowledge of the subject or ability to research the subject using reputable sources is necessary

4. In the end, facts win arguments- not rhetoric

5. Respond to generalities with specfics.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:23 am
"In the end, facts win arguments- not rhetoric"

I'm confused. Aren't you the one who used the term "elitist left wing phony" in another thread, not too long ago?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:32 am
The most powerful of all I find distraction and digression. Now distraction is important skill to learnt; there is many ways is useful to us.
When you from anoether contry, always make out with no understand technik.
I am from anoether contry, and I think you liberal capitalist folk is a Bush of empty headed mushrooms. If you move with and on the peopel like you can make bad arguement upon, then you also a empty-headless idiot. There.

Relative.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:39 am
Relative, you are beign defensive here, while Cav certainly reminds me of Adolf Hitler.
McGentrix should update his informations about Peru, because in 2003 average payment in Peru was 2.473,91$, and minimum 1.067,83$ which is excellent comparing to prizes.

Source: M. Jenkins, W. Miller, T. Harper: "Why Dr. Hovel T. Moon's study is full of crap".
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:41 am
I assure you, MyOwnUserName, I have no weird moustache.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:42 am
Mind you, I'm curious as to how I remind you of Hitler...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 03:55 am
It's the clown suit, isn't it?
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 04:55 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20224&highlight=
0 Replies